Special Olympics

StitchinCindi

Howdy, The Special Olympics need scarves either crocheted or knitted.

Could you do one scarf?

http://www.coatsandclark.com/Crafts/Crochet/Features/Special+Olympics.htm

The address to mail your scarf is there on the website above.

If you need a quickie pattern, here is the one from Coats & Clark:

http://www.coatsandclark.com/NR/rdonlyres/3BA95630-AF0F-4D5A-9385-B95B4749AECA/83697/WR1704.pdf

Thanks for any and all help you can give to them.

I think this is great I will do a couple when the Greek Games are finished.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

psssssssssssst... over here :hi ..... I'll help with this as soon as the "Games" are done.

I already bought the yarn.. two skeins of each.

:mug:crocheting

GO TEAM AFGHAN :cheer

Don't forget they wish them to be in ziplock bags and contain a note for the athlete. This is from the Scarf Project page from the Special Olympics site...

Anyone can make and submit a scarf for the 2009 Special Olympics World Winter Games Scarf Project, we just ask that you follow a few simple guidelines in order to maintain consistency:

Colors: Red Heart Yarn Color 0885-Delft Blue and 0311-White

Length: Approximately 4 ½” x 50”

**Yarn is available at Walmart, where it can be purchased for a nominal fee, or through http://www.yarncollection.com .**

Once finished, place scarves in Ziploc bags with your name, address and a personal note to the athlete and mail them to:

2009 Special Olympics World Winter Games Scarf Project

3150 W. Main Street

Boise, ID 83702

Scarves must be received by no later than January 15, 2009.

Thank you sooo much, ladies! I've been wanting to crochet some scarves for this cause, and have searched 2 Joann's, AC Moore and Michael's. None of them carried the Delft Blue color. I even called Coats & Clark Consumer Relations, and they were less than helpful or sympathetic.

I don't usually shop at Walmart's but went there today after reading this thread. Yes! There it was! Delft Blue! I bought 3 skeins, and 3 of the white. Gonna get started right now!

Joan

Thank you sooo much, ladies! I've been wanting to crochet some scarves for this cause, and have searched 2 Joann's, AC Moore and Michael's. None of them carried the Delft Blue color. I even called Coats & Clark Consumer Relations, and they were less than helpful or sympathetic.

I don't usually shop at Walmart's but went there today after reading this thread. Yes! There it was! Delft Blue! I bought 3 skeins, and 3 of the white. Gonna get started right now!

Joan

you can also try knitting-warehouse.com It cost a little more than walmart but they do have it:)

psssssssssssst... over here :hi ..... I'll help with this as soon as the "Games" are done.

I already bought the yarn.. two skeins of each.

:mug:crocheting

GO TEAM AFGHAN :cheer

Hey Tammy, we are going to be doing this as our NOV challenge :cheer:cheer

so you are getting ready :cheer:cheer I am going to go get my yarn also so I can get started!!

From what I read on the Coats and Clark site, the note to the athlete was purely optional.

I also found it interesting that in the current issue of CrochetToday, they offer a pattern for the special olympic scarf.. but it's made in Delft Blue and SOFT WHITE ..not White.

Weird that they can't follow their parent company's directions. LOL

When in doubt, go right to the source. The information here has what the Special Olympic committee is looking for, for the scarf project. I sure hope the opening ceremonys are televised so I can see a sea of blue & white scarves. It'll be so cool! :)

very Pretty where can I find the pattern?

I thought we had to go by the pattern the they are showing:think

Thank you. No pattern really, just 2 rows of DC one row of popcorn, 2 rows of DC, then repeat. I put a row of HDC on each side to make it a little wider.

Mary, thanks for the post. The scarves are smaller than what I expected. I generally make mine 7" or more, and about 56" to 60".

the patterns that they give for starters are 51/2 to 6 " x 60 to 64," so i doubt they will return one that is bigger than 41/2 x 50, Special Olympians come in all sizes

When in doubt, go right to the source. The information here has what the Special Olympic committee is looking for, for the scarf project. I sure hope the opening ceremonys are televised so I can see a sea of blue & white scarves. It'll be so cool! :)

Thanks Gleda. TThat's where I copied and pasted from. GMTA! :D

From what I read on the Coats and Clark site, the note to the athlete was purely optional.

didn't seem that way from the special olympics page. i am sure they want all athletes receiving the same thing i would think.

I also found it interesting that in the current issue of CrochetToday, they offer a pattern for the special olympic scarf.. but it's made in Delft Blue and SOFT WHITE ..not White.

Weird that they can't follow their parent company's directions. LOL

someone posted that was a typo and was going to be corrected on the website.

the patterns that they give for starters are 51/2 to 6 " x 60 to 64," so i doubt they will return one that is bigger than 41/2 x 50, Special Olympians come in all sizes

exactly. i'm sure they are just guidelines.

some on the pattern from the crochet today site are sooo pretty. can't wait to start making some but i promised myself i would finish 2 other projects first. but i do have mt yarn ready! :hook

ok thanks for letting me know:) I hope they show it too:)

Thank you. No pattern really, just 2 rows of DC one row of popcorn, 2 rows of DC, then repeat. I put a row of HDC on each side to make it a little wider.

ok thanks for sharing:) it is pretty:)

exactly. i'm sure they are just guidelines.

some on the pattern from the crochet today site are sooo pretty. can't wait to start making some but i promised myself i would finish 2 other projects first. but i do have mt yarn ready! :hook

I know what you mean! sometimes I think we are so in over our heads:hook but oh I love it all :manyheart

I am working on my 4th scarf for the Special Olympics! I haven't used any patterns yet, just basically made them as I went along - I am hoping to do lots more, but I have to pause after this one as I have so many other things to do...I will post photos when I have this one complete. :)

I just saw this in the latest issue of Crochet Today but there is a wrong color for the scarf that the magazine listed. I called the Special Olympics number at the site and it is White, not Soft White. I just found Delft Blue at Wal-mart on Monday (wasn't there on Saturday, they just got a shipment in).

Have already started mine.

LI Roe

Archived