Haekelbeutel (Crochet Bag) CAL, Anyone???

Well I finished my bag today!!! It was very easy and I really enjoyed making this! Believe it or not I ran out of my dark color with 1/2 a round to go! I was so mad and started frantically looking through my stash hoping I'd have more of the color and I found a small ball of the exact color and kind! WOO-HOO! I even had enough for the straps! As soon as I can figure out how to line this thing I'll take some pics and post them! This is definately a nice, quick and easy project!!!

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would so like to join this CAL! But I'm working on a seraphina shawl right now. I have a question.

I've been reading and see that some are making only 12 instead of 16 squares to make a smaller bag. What would be the differences in finished sizes?

Would it be better to just do less rounds on the squares to make a smaller bag? I don't want one too huge. I also plan on using acrylic yarn. Regular ww yarn.

Everyone's bags are SO gorgeous!!! I can't wait!

The other thing I was thinking was only doing 2 rounds. That would make mine half the size and a good purse size for me. 3 rounds might make it a tote size.

Debbi

I didn't think about doing less rounds... that would work, except not for the square I'm working on, it's not done in rounds... :(

Anyway, here's the pics from the first one I finished!

http://pics.livejournal.com/stinanthemum/pic/0000zah1/g5

http://pics.livejournal.com/stinanthemum/pic/00010fa8/g5

http://pics.livejournal.com/stinanthemum/pic/00011zcp/g5

and a square from the one I'm working on now...

http://pics.livejournal.com/stinanthemum/pic/00012azf/g5

I can't wait to see it DonnaLynn! Nice job getting it done and squeaking it out of what you had on hand

Joyce

Well I finished my bag today!!! It was very easy and I really enjoyed making this! Believe it or not I ran out of my dark color with 1/2 a round to go! I was so mad and started frantically looking through my stash hoping I'd have more of the color and I found a small ball of the exact color and kind! WOO-HOO! I even had enough for the straps! As soon as I can figure out how to line this thing I'll take some pics and post them! This is definately a nice, quick and easy project!!!

Your first bag looks great, even the lining! Nice work and, that second square LOVE it. I can't wait to see the bag done with that!

Joyce

I didn't think about doing less rounds... that would work, except not for the square I'm working on, it's not done in rounds... :(

Anyway, here's the pics from the first one I finished!

http://pics.livejournal.com/stinanthemum/pic/0000zah1/g5

http://pics.livejournal.com/stinanthemum/pic/00010fa8/g5

http://pics.livejournal.com/stinanthemum/pic/00011zcp/g5

and a square from the one I'm working on now...

http://pics.livejournal.com/stinanthemum/pic/00012azf/g5

What a great CAL! Not sure how I missed this one! I've already finished my first bag, but will be making more.

Sadly, I can not find the fabric to line it here in Belgium so it is waiting until I go back to the US on vacation to be lined.

2505949556_abe1636e1c_m.jpg2505949566_97e6758edf_m.jpg

I'm still trying to decide what color to make the next one....I may need to go buy some more yarn...oh horrors! A trip to the LYS.....how will I survive....or more accurately, how will my credit card survive?

:P

Well, I wasn't able to start until recently, as I went to the ER on Wednesday and have been FLAT on my back pretty much until yesterday. Now my middle is sore from crocheting in crazy lie-down positions~LOLOL! I do have eight squares done and am out of yarn. ~sigh~ I don't know when I'll be able to pick this back up, but it'll be waitin' fer me! (((((HUGS))))) sandi

I am slowly working on this one. I am doing this bag with 8 squares that are the Skull Shape Halloween Decoration by Sandi Marshall, and the other 8 will be plain. I am using Handicrafter Cotton in Navy, White and salt and Pepper print.

Cora

Here's my 2nd one. RH ww. I don't think I'll line it. I crocheted it pretty tight, and I think I'll use it for a yarn bag or beach bag....

OceanShawlandpurse.jpg

It's hanging over a - dare I say it? - shhhhh.... knitted:eek shawl I just finished. :devil

This is pretty funny to me. I saw a booklet today, I believe it was Lion Brand, for a summer set that had a similar bag on the cover. I already sat down and started designing my own bag because I refuse to purchase the book for only 1 pattern.

Now I find this thread...oh well, was a good experience for me to design my first item. lol

All of y'alls look wonderful, you go for the bright colors during the summer!

and I love the idea of the Halloween/skull one, that's going to look nice.

Your first bag looks great, even the lining! Nice work and, that second square LOVE it. I can't wait to see the bag done with that!

Joyce

Thanks. I have one row/side done, three more to make. I had to take a day's break from all crocheting 'cause my hands started acting up. :worried

Beautiful finished bags!:clap

I can't wait to see others that are done. I just know I'm going to be making another one. The big one I made, works perfect for a WIP bag, but just for medium sized items, but that's fine. My current Lumberjack afghan, I can only put in 3 strips plus some yarn, but it does make a great wip bag and so quick. So I may make more of these just for WIPs.

Debbi

I love everyone's bags. Mine is not as big as everyone elses but it's perfect as a purse. And I've been using it since. I wanted to try making one out of cotton and I have one cone of green/white and I wanted to do one round of white to make the colors stand out better. But, I didn't have any plain white cotton and when I went to my lys I couldn't find any white cotton to match. The ones I found were skinnier or fatter than the one I was using. So I don't know what I'm going to do with it. I only made 4 squares so far. I thought I could use the cream I had but it didn't look right together. I am still going to make another bag though. I'll just put away the cotton for now and use the WW yarns I have.

I got mine done except for the edging. I screwed up on the lining as the bobbin was black & not white like I thought. So I am going to make some yoyos to go around & adorn the bag. I dunno if I will use it for a purse or make a new one as it is a bit big for me. I'll post pics when I am done.

I've been a bit busy so I've only got a total of four squares done. But I should be getting more done soon. Hopefully I can also get some pics to show off soon too.:hook

Okay you all, I am off summer hiatus...:clap:D:clap

This bag is to die for as a purse :crocheting, and I got one square done.

I read through most of the posts, and I'm using an F hook with Lion Cotton & S/C cotton in Lime, Periwinkle, Hot Pink, Orange, & Cream :yarn. I'm also doing 1ch in the corners cuz I don't like holes either. My 4 rnds is 5".

ok this makes a total of 5 bags made. I played around with these 2 tho.

th_071508014.jpg

The pinks one was done with 16 squares but only 2 rounds. 6 and a half inches wide by almost 8 inches tall. Cute for a little girl :cheer

The blue & pink vari was made with 12 squares 3 rounds. 9 and a half inches wide by 8 inches tall. I like the look of it better than the smaller one.

I am making these for the females in my family, mom's side (25 bags to make) I have 4 done but 1 is not assigned to anyone yet as it hasn't matched a color preference.

BTW I love these bags, can ya tell???

Archived