Haekelbeutel (Crochet Bag) CAL, Anyone???

I finished my bag!! I used 2 balls of Lion Cotton (I ended up with a little bit left over from the 2nd ball.) I also used a silver button for a closure in the middle. I still have to line it, but I'm very pleased with how it came out!! :yayth_purse1.jpg

(clickable!)

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That came out pretty. Love that button.

I got six squares made Thursday night but haven't had time to do anything since. Hoping to finish up a ghan today then focus on finishing these squares.

Joyce

I finished my bag!! I used 2 balls of Lion Cotton (I ended up with a little bit left over from the 2nd ball.) I also used a silver button for a closure in the middle. I still have to line it, but I'm very pleased with how it came out!! :yayth_purse1.jpg

(clickable!)

I used sc in the top loop of the sides - I hate whipstitching, and I was looking for texture. I think it would look great!

Here's my bag: http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=81008

If you look close, you can see the joining sc.

In the solid color version, the sc joining looks like a perfect addition to the design!:clap

jandellen,

Nice job! I'm glad to see someone doing this in a solid color! It looks fun in multicolors, but it's also really classy in one color! Now I REALLY want to make one of these even more!

I finished my bag!! I used 2 balls of Lion Cotton (I ended up with a little bit left over from the 2nd ball.) I also used a silver button for a closure in the middle. I still have to line it, but I'm very pleased with how it came out!!

I love it!

The button closure looks great! :cheer

Finished mine tonight! :yay I made my straps longer. I chained 101 & did 1 row of 100 sc, then 2 rows hdc, then 1 row sc. I'll probably line it & put pockets in the liner. I'll take pics tomorrow. Too tired right now. Been running around too much. Cookouts two nights in a row & fireworks til 2 a.m. in our neighborhood. Not much sleep......:tired

g'night! :sleep

Pat A - I'm whipstitching mine together - I;ve done it with sc and sl st but prefer the other. Whatever works, though, is my moto:hook

I'm finishing the third strip right now and leaving a long tail to join the rest together so I don't have to attach more yarn.

I've finished all my squares and I'm sc'ing it together. I've finished 2 strips and working on the 3rd. So far so good. Now I hope it looks nice when I'm finished.

I used sc in the top loop of the sides - I hate whipstitching, and I was looking for texture. I think it would look great!

Here's my bag: http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=81008

If you look close, you can see the joining sc.

I love your bag. It's so pretty. I'm sc'ing in both loops of both squares. I noticed your ridges don't look as thick as mine do so far. When you put two squares back sides together did you sc through all the loops or just the two outside or the two inside loops? Sorry to ask all this questions but I'd like to make one as nice as yours. :) And I noticed your edging around the top. Is that the reverse sc? I love the way it looks. :yes

I love your bag. It's so pretty. I'm sc'ing in both loops of both squares. I noticed your ridges don't look as thick as mine do so far. When you put two squares back sides together did you sc through all the loops or just the two outside or the two inside loops? Sorry to ask all this questions but I'd like to make one as nice as yours. :) And I noticed your edging around the top. Is that the reverse sc? I love the way it looks. :yes

I only did the sc through the top loops. It lays flatter if you don't do the back loops. Do whatever you're happy with, though!

The edging around the top and the straps is a reverse sc. I've been wondering if I could make the reverse sc work to join the strips, but I haven't started another bag yet, so I'm just keeping that in mind.... I don't know if it would look good or if it would look funny because it's only between the strips and not between each square. Just somethiing I'm considering trying.

I love seeing everybody's individual version of this bag, so I've been checking the CAL often.

:hook

(clickable!)

Nice! I love the button :)

Well, I finished all of my squares last night and got one strip joined. Decided to trim in white. I am going to clean today and then my goal will be to try to completely finish this today.

Joyce

So, I've been posting in this CAL even though I haven't yet started my bag, because I just want to make it soooo badly but don't have money to buy any yarn. Last night I told hubby, "Honey, there's this pattern for this bag, and I really want to make it!" And he says, "What bag?" and I say, "Oh, just this bag..." (I wasn't online at the time so couldn't show him.) And he says, "Why do you want to make it?" And I say, "Because a bunch of people are making it and I really like it!" And he says, "Right....so you just want an excuse to buy more yarn." :sigh How did he know?

So, I've been posting in this CAL even though I haven't yet started my bag, because I just want to make it soooo badly but don't have money to buy any yarn. Last night I told hubby, "Honey, there's this pattern for this bag, and I really want to make it!" And he says, "What bag?" and I say, "Oh, just this bag..." (I wasn't online at the time so couldn't show him.) And he says, "Why do you want to make it?" And I say, "Because a bunch of people are making it and I really like it!" And he says, "Right....so you just want an excuse to buy more yarn." :sigh How did he know?

I hope you get your wish. I didn't buy any yarn. I just used what I had and its looking good even if it's only one color I'm using right now.

I only did the sc through the top loops. It lays flatter if you don't do the back loops. Do whatever you're happy with, though!

The edging around the top and the straps is a reverse sc. I've been wondering if I could make the reverse sc work to join the strips, but I haven't started another bag yet, so I'm just keeping that in mind.... I don't know if it would look good or if it would look funny because it's only between the strips and not between each square. Just somethiing I'm considering trying.

I love seeing everybody's individual version of this bag, so I've been checking the CAL often.

:hook

Thanks for answering my questions. :) I did sc through all the loops so the ridge is more pronounced than yours is but it looks good still. :yes By back loops I'm assumeing you mean the outside loops. Am I right? I haven't had much luck with the rsc. I think thats because when I try it I'm using two yarns together and I don't like how it looks. Maybe I'll pracitce it with only one yarn. I really like the way it looked on your bag. I think the next one I make I'll do one round of sc around the square. Do you think that'll make joining it better?

Well I finished the shrug I was working on and had some yarn in my stash so figured I'd try and give this a go. I worked up my first 4 squares tonite! I'm doing mine in 3 colors. White, lilac and purple!!! I didn't realize until I actually looked at the pattern that it's just basic granny squares so I think I should be able to get this done relatively quickly. It'll probably need to be lined though which really doesn't make me happy. I HATE LINING PURSES! LOL

Ah well, hopefully I can get another square or 2 done tonite to add to the 4 already done and get this thing whipped out this week! That'd be one Christmas present under my belt! WOO-HOO!

P.S. I am doing the basic CH 2 in the corners. I'm afraid that doing a CH 3 in the corners would make it a little wonky...

Well I finished my bag tonight. I didn't lay the squares out quite right so they didn't match up like I originally intended. Also, the lining was far more difficult than I thought it would be so I just lined below the four points and I added a pocket for my cell phone. Here are several images (all clickable)

th_DSCF0653.jpg

th_DSCF0650.jpg

th_DSCF0648.jpg

th_DSCF0647.jpg

th_DSCF0643.jpg

Well, I started my bag last night but didn't get very far.

I decided to use Sugar & Cream striped yarn and it was a nightmare. The yarn is so stiff it was actually painful to crochet with. I finished one square and my hands were aching so badly I had to stop. I've never had this problem with Sugar & Cream before, I wonder if it is just the skein I had or if all the striped colorways are this way. I've only used S & C before for dishcloths and always used a j or k hook. For the square, I was using a g hook, so maybe it was because of the small hook. Whatever it was, I won't be using this yarn for the bag. Have any of the rest of you had this problem with this yarn?

I do have some other ideas floating around, just need to get the yarn to actually work out my thoughts.

For those of you who are having trouble guestimating the size of the bag, here is what I did.

I took a sheet of newspaper and some yardsticks, and drew out the diagram of the bag, using 4 inch squares. I then cut out the diagram and taped the sides together to get an idea of how big it would be. I have a hard time visualizing things and this gave me an idea of the size. Worked for me!

Everybody's bags look great.

I think the next one I make I'll do one round of sc around the square. Do you think that'll make joining it better?

No, whether there is one row or many, it should be the same.

Just lay your two squares together, face up. The top loops of the outer stitch is what I used to join them. But it's your bag! Do it how you like it! I'm sure it looks great! :yes

Well I finished my bag tonight. I didn't lay the squares out quite right so they didn't match up like I originally intended. Also, the lining was far more difficult than I thought it would be so I just lined below the four points and I added a pocket for my cell phone.

Very cool looking!

I like the colors! :clap

Got mine done yesterday. I made my straps longer (100 sc). I might make my sister one in blues, her fav color.

Bag1.jpgBag.jpg

Beautiful! Great job and I love the colors you used. :clap I like that you made the straps a bit longer, I was thinking I would have liked to have made mine a bit longer too. Next one I will!

Archived