Haekelbeutel (Crochet Bag) CAL, Anyone???

:hug Sorry to hear about your SIL! I may whip up a few for Christmas myself, but, I fear I may actually make more for me than I ought to.

Joyce

Joyce..........I know EXACTLY what you mean............I just finished a prayer shawl for my SIL who has been given only days (breast cancer) - I worked on the shawl feverishly to get it done in time. A prayerful activity, but one that left my hand hurting. This bag was just the thing to inspire me again. The squares are "easy-peasy", and the repetitive nature of the blocks is, in some way soothing. I whip-stitched the bag together, which was perfect since I was felting it. Now I'm going back to Hobby Lobby to scour around for more "Felt It"...........this will be my Christmas gift this year - great for Mom, daughters, friends and co-workers.

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Your bags are sooo CUTE! I've been such a slacker that I've not even begun mine. ~sigh~ Kinda in a low mood today... I'm sure gettin' out some crochet is EXACTLY what would perk me back up, huh? LOL! (((((HUGS))))) sandi

Yes, small, quick projects are great! :yes Unless you're like me and make 6" squares for a BIG bag (pics coming tomorrow I promise, as long as nothing else goes wrong:lol)

Joyce..........I know EXACTLY what you mean............I just finished a prayer shawl for my SIL who has been given only days (breast cancer) - I worked on the shawl feverishly to get it done in time. A prayerful activity, but one that left my hand hurting. This bag was just the thing to inspire me again. The squares are "easy-peasy", and the repetitive nature of the blocks is, in some way soothing. I whip-stitched the bag together, which was perfect since I was felting it. Now I'm going back to Hobby Lobby to scour around for more "Felt It"...........this will be my Christmas gift this year - great for Mom, daughters, friends and co-workers.

I'm sure your sister loved the prayer shawl.:hug

I remember reading somewhere that some ladies here make "stress squares", squares just like this bag calls for. Squares that are simple to help with stress and make you feel better. And actually putting them together to have a finished item helps (at least it does me). This bag would be a great gift too!

Debbi

Sorry to hear about your SIL. It's never easy to lose a loved one.

I just finished my bag and it turned out better than I expected. My dh just told me I have to make some for his ds's dgd, her mom, our niece and my god-daughter and my sons gf. If I'm correct thats 5 bags I have to make. :hook Now I have to look at what I have. I might have to buy some nicer yarn :yarn than what I have. At least now I have something thats easy for me to continue working :crocheting on. Now, to look at squares and find some nice ones to use.

I'm so excited. I didn't get to work on my other bag tonight at work but I did remember I had some hot pink nylon in my desk, I don't even know why, and I wanted to make a separate case for my cell phone so I can use the pocket in my bag for other stuff. I found a pattern online at CPC and altered it a bit to suit my tastes and usage and here it is

th_DSCF0657.jpg

th_DSCF0654.jpg (clickable)

These bags and accessorizing them is becoming addictive:eek

Joyce

Pictures?

I just finished my bag and it turned out better than I expected. My dh just told me I have to make some for his ds's dgd, her mom, our niece and my god-daughter and my sons gf. If I'm correct thats 5 bags I have to make. :hook Now I have to look at what I have. I might have to buy some nicer yarn :yarn than what I have. At least now I have something thats easy for me to continue working :crocheting on. Now, to look at squares and find some nice ones to use.

I bought the huge thing of Plum Pudding (what is it, 14 oz???) a few weeks ago for this bag. I'm working on something else right now but it will indeed be used for this bag. I also have been RAOK'd lots of cotton so will be making several others as well to give as gifts.

I made one bag already actually but didn't get a chance to post it. It was Sugar N Cream in the color Sonora Print. My mom picked it out and asked me to make one for her.

What color are you using? Mine's called Plum Pudding. It's the great big skein. I bought two of them (not knowing what I was going to end up using it for), so if you're using the same color, I'll share with you if you need it. :D

Here is my 2nd - made with Sugar N Cream Stripes Americana, size F hook, 4 rounds, 12 squares -

Haekelbeutel_02.jpg

My 3rd, made with Aunt Lydia's Denim in Milk, size F hook 4 rounds, 12 squares -

Haekelbeutel_03.jpg

My 4th, made with Aunt Lydia's Denim in Taupe/Beige color, size F hook, 4 rounds, 12 squares -

Haekelbeutel_04.jpg

I really like the feel of the Aunt Lydia's Denim and I'm glad I had so much in my stash, 1 roll wouldn't make 16 squares, I have just a little left over with the 4 rounds and 12 squares...I am going to try to find something a bit more colorful for the next one. :)

:hook If this keeps up, I may need an intervention!!!

Has anyone made this with acrylic? I know this is on my Christmas list heehee

I have made this with both RHSS and Caron One Pound. I like the way they turn out. I have only made one with cotton and I like it too, just don't know which I like more...... I am planning on making these as gifts too and I will prolly use RHSS for lots of them as I have so much in my stash.

Man, I was reading through this thinking, this one hooked crocheter and then you mentioned the intervention :lol. They all look great!

Joyce

Here is my 2nd - made with Sugar N Cream Stripes Americana, size F hook, 4 rounds, 12 squares -

Haekelbeutel_02.jpg

My 3rd, made with Aunt Lydia's Denim in Milk, size F hook 4 rounds, 12 squares -

Haekelbeutel_03.jpg

My 4th, made with Aunt Lydia's Denim in Taupe/Beige color, size F hook, 4 rounds, 12 squares -

Haekelbeutel_04.jpg

I really like the feel of the Aunt Lydia's Denim and I'm glad I had so much in my stash, 1 roll wouldn't make 16 squares, I have just a little left over with the 4 rounds and 12 squares...I am going to try to find something a bit more colorful for the next one. :)

Wow! These are all so lovely! I really shouldn't be starting anything new as I've got so many things with deadlines but I find myself wanting to run to my stash and start making squares. It's so very tempting.

Beautiful work everyone!:D

Haekelbeutel_02.jpg

Haekelbeutel_03.jpg

Haekelbeutel_04.jpg

Intervention??? Sorry, we don't do that here. :lol:yes:lol:yes:D :D

Thanks! I have taken a break, had to force myself, and am working on a baby sweater at the moment, but I plan to go back to the Haekelbeutel's again soon! :)

Man, I was reading through this thinking, this one hooked crocheter and then you mentioned the intervention :lol. They all look great!

Joyce

Thanks! That one and the first one I did with the yellow white and green are my favorites too - I do like the all one color, but I think the pattern looks just a bit better with more color...planning my next one in my head, soon as I finish a baby sweater that I am working on...if I can hold out that long! :)

Sami, they all look great! I really like the red white and blue one.

I bet you can't hold out that long :P

Joyce

Thanks! That one and the first one I did with the yellow white and green are my favorites too - I do like the all one color, but I think the pattern looks just a bit better with more color...planning my next one in my head, soon as I finish a baby sweater that I am working on...if I can hold out that long! :)

Anyone given any thought to using Krystal's daisy square for this?

Right now, the squares I've started are this one with only four rounds and I think it'll look great. i'm thinking of doing the four bottom and four top squares in this and the middle four (I'm going to try to do a 12-square bag) in Inga's pattern. So far, I made four of the Lovely in lavendar squares with one 2 oz. ball of S&C taupe twists.

Joyce

Luckily I stayed up late (it's 1:30 am here) and I finished the baby sweater so that I can do another Haekelbeutel tomorro! I'm thinking I will make one in Patons Grace this time...will definitely post when it's finished! :)

I bet you can't hold out that long :P

Joyce

YOU are a trip! It's 1:30 here too and I just got off work a couple hours ago so I'm still up too, but not crocheting :(

Joyce

Luckily I stayed up late (it's 1:30 am here) and I finished the baby sweater so that I can do another Haekelbeutel tomorro! I'm thinking I will make one in Patons Grace this time...will definitely post when it's finished! :)

Archived