Haekelbeutel (Crochet Bag) CAL, Anyone???

I am in :manyheart with this bag!!! I think they are going to be Christmas gifts for all the women in the family (there's alot). There have been several posted on the bags & purses show and tell and the pattern is here: http://www.stricksucht.de/anleitungen/crochetedbag.pdf

Any of you want to join me in this CAL?

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would love to join this but it's going to be so long before I can get to it with the projects I have backed up. It's in my Ravelry queue. I'll watch a long, maybe I'll make a couple squares at a time. It'd be nice to do as CAL. Let me think

Joyce

I'll join! I love this pattern.

I was just trying to figure out which bag to make. I bought some Peaches & Cream cotton in Pink Cherry (black, pink and white). And I need a break this weekend from my Double Wedding Ring Quilt. I've saw this in one solid color or verigated on Flickr and thought it looked good that way too. Although it does look good with a boarder or something... but I don't think my walmart had any small solid colors (I looked for a sold red and bought a verigated one for another project). But maybe I'll look. If not, that's fine. It will be nice either way.

Debbi

I did my first 2 bags in WW acrylic, I think I am gonna do one up in cotton tho, I have loads of Peaches & Creme from last Christmas's attempt at presents (I say attempt cuz 90% didn't get done :( I didn't plan properly)

anyway I think I'll see what a varigated one looks like and see how it looks/feels in cotton before I decide what to do for the gifts...

Anyway.. Glad you could join me Debbi :clap

Hope you can too Joyce!

I did my first 2 bags in WW acrylic, I think I am gonna do one up in cotton tho, I have loads of Peaches & Creme from last Christmas's attempt at presents (I say attempt cuz 90% didn't get done :( I didn't plan properly)

anyway I think I'll see what a varigated one looks like and see how it looks/feels in cotton before I decide what to do for the gifts...

Anyway.. Glad you could join me Debbi :clap

Hope you can too Joyce!

I just might. I want one for me, but I'm thinking one for my sis' mom in law may be good. She loves crochet gifts!

Joyce

OK,I have a question for you Tristi, since you've made it. Once you have four strips made how to you form them into the bag. I'm no good at following a diagram. I *think* I get it but I also *think* I'm confused. Maybe I just need to make it. Thanks in advance

Joyce

ARG..G..G I don't need another project, but this one would make great gifts!!! I have a few questions though...

1. Those that have made it - what yarn did you use? Has anyone lined one? I'm

thinking it would be too "stretchy" with just WW yarn

2. Christina mentioned an alternate one - where is the pattern for it?

3. What size is the hook in English?

OK,I have a question for you Tristi, since you've made it. Once you have four strips made how to you form them into the bag. I'm no good at following a diagram. I *think* I get it but I also *think* I'm confused. Maybe I just need to make it. Thanks in advance

Joyce

Hard to explain but the diagram really does make sense when you have the strips in front of you. After you get the 4 strips attached at the bottom you just pick a side and start attaching squares. When I did it at first I was like HUH? how in the world does this even work, but trust me it does turn into the bag.

xxxxxxxxxxxx04

xxxxxxxxxxxx03

xxxxxxxxxxxx02

xxxxxxxxxxxx01 05 06 07 08

xxx16 15 14 13 09

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx10

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx11

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx12

(ignore the x's the post formats it to leave out the spaces :( so this is the only way to keep the digram together)

So if you follow the diagram, I just numbered the squares. When I put mine together say I start with the first strip (1-4) and the strip to the right (5-8) you would sew or sc 02 with 05, 03 with 06, 07 with 04.. leave 08 alone.

Then you go with the next strip to the left (09-12) attach 09 with 06, 10 with 07, 11 with 08

Next is 13 with 10, 14 and 11, 15 and 12

Last is 14 with 01, 15 and 02, 16 and 03

Hope this makes sense and doesn't confuse anyone. I have been thinking about working it out so you could make an intentional pattern if you wanted to. I made a neon bag and at the end I realized I had 2 oranges next to each other and instead of having each point of the bag a different color (4 colors) I had 2 green points and no pink... not worth it to frog just to rearrange but maybe in the future I can plan better knowing the numbers and what square ends up next to which.... rambling I know but.....

:ty:ty:ty

That does make sense to me. I hope it doesn't confuse anyone else! I'm already dreaming of what cotton colors I have AND thinking of buying fabric to line it :dreaming

Joyce

Hard to explain but the diagram really does make sense when you have the strips in front of you. After you get the 4 strips attached at the bottom you just pick a side and start attaching squares. When I did it at first I was like HUH? how in the world does this even work, but trust me it does turn into the bag.

xxxxxxxxxxxx04

xxxxxxxxxxxx03

xxxxxxxxxxxx02

xxxxxxxxxxxx01 05 06 07 08

xxx16 15 14 13 09

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx10

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx11

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx12

(ignore the x's the post formats it to leave out the spaces :( so this is the only way to keep the digram together)

So if you follow the diagram, I just numbered the squares. When I put mine together say I start with the first strip (1-4) and the strip to the right (5-8) you would sew or sc 02 with 05, 03 with 06, 07 with 04.. leave 08 alone.

Then you go with the next strip to the left (09-12) attach 09 with 06, 10 with 07, 11 with 08

Next is 13 with 10, 14 and 11, 15 and 12

Last is 14 with 01, 15 and 02, 16 and 03

Hope this makes sense and doesn't confuse anyone. I have been thinking about working it out so you could make an intentional pattern if you wanted to. I made a neon bag and at the end I realized I had 2 oranges next to each other and instead of having each point of the bag a different color (4 colors) I had 2 green points and no pink... not worth it to frog just to rearrange but maybe in the future I can plan better knowing the numbers and what square ends up next to which.... rambling I know but.....

ARG..G..G I don't need another project, but this one would make great gifts!!! I have a few questions though...

1. Those that have made it - what yarn did you use? Has anyone lined one? I'm

thinking it would be too "stretchy" with just WW yarn

2. Christina mentioned an alternate one - where is the pattern for it?

3. What size is the hook in English?

1. I have made it with RHSS and Caron One Pound regular WW acrylic, I am making one now in Peaches and Cream cotton. I do not line my bags, I have an aversion to sewing :blush. If you are on Ravelry there are lots of pictures of the bags both lined and not lined. My RHSS bag does stretch a bit but not too bad, you could always account for the stretch and make shorter handles.

2. She was talking about this post : http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=81008

The pattern for the square is on CPC's site under 8" squares.

http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/directory/8in_squares.php

3. I use an I hook which I believe is a 5 (5.50mm) It really depends on how you crochet. I crochet very tight, if you don't you may need as small as a G hook. The pattern is translated from German so I don't know what hook size she used.

Hope that helps.

:ty:ty:ty

That does make sense to me. I hope it doesn't confuse anyone else! I'm already dreaming of what cotton colors I have AND thinking of buying fabric to line it :dreaming

Joyce

Glad that helps!

You're going to line yours? Wanna do all mine too??? ROFL! I hate sewing! I have been intentionally picking a smaller hook than I would normally use so the holes aren't as big, I am also doing ch1 at the corners instead of ch3 so I don't think I will need lining (crosses fingers)

I'm going to line mine. I don't use a sewing machine, I do all my bag linings by hand (yes tedius but can be done, and not too bad).

I saw other bags on flickr using different squares. So that could also be a variation on the pattern.

I'm going to use a G hook as I crochet loose. It looks like a pretty big bag anyway, so I'm not worried.

Debbi

Well, I just kinda got into sewing (and I actually like it). Of course, I haven't done any sewing since the Spring Secret Pal Swap, but I've been wanting to give lining a tote a shot. I was also thinking of doing it as a felted bag with wool!

Joyce

Glad that helps!

You're going to line yours? Wanna do all mine too??? ROFL! I hate sewing! I have been intentionally picking a smaller hook than I would normally use so the holes aren't as big, I am also doing ch1 at the corners instead of ch3 so I don't think I will need lining (crosses fingers)

I just saw this pattern last week and totally want to make it. It's in my ravelry queue, but I'm not quite ready to start yet....too many other WIPs! I will watch this CAL, though, and when I'm ready, I'll jump right in!

1. I have made it with RHSS and Caron One Pound regular WW acrylic, I am making one now in Peaches and Cream cotton. I do not line my bags, I have an aversion to sewing :blush. If you are on Ravelry there are lots of pictures of the bags both lined and not lined. My RHSS bag does stretch a bit but not too bad, you could always account for the stretch and make shorter handles.

2. She was talking about this post : http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=81008

The pattern for the square is on CPC's site under 8" squares.

http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/directory/8in_squares.php

3. I use an I hook which I believe is a 5 (5.50mm) It really depends on how you crochet. I crochet very tight, if you don't you may need as small as a G hook. The pattern is translated from German so I don't know what hook size she used.

Hope that helps.

Yep, that's the one I'm talking about. I don't want the squares to be a full 8" though, so I am using Sugar and Cream cotton, a G hook, and leaving off rows 8 and 9 of the square. That makes each square about 5 and 1/2". I've done 3 squares so far! :D

Oh, how weird. I just found this pattern and printed it this morning. Sounds like fate to me! I'm in, but it's going to take me a few days before getting started. I can't start until I get a few other things finished up, but hopefully it will just take a few days. Can't wait to see pics of everyone else's!

Archived