Haekelbeutel (Crochet Bag) CAL, Anyone???

Hi I have been keeping my eyes on this thread and now I want to make one too. I am getting ready to order from Peaches N Creme and want to know how many balls of peaches N creme or Sugar N creme this bag took for 12 to 16 squares plus handles. Thanks Hugs :hug

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:cheer I finally got started on my bag! I decided to go ahead and try using a different square pattern from the original and make this more my own style. I chose the "Spinner" square from the 200 Crochet Blocks book, only using the first 5 rounds. The squares end up being just shy of 5 1/2 inches, using worsted weight yarn and a G hook. I think that this size sqare will make a nice tote-sized bag, without it being too huge. I do plan to make all 16 squares, at least as of now. I may change my mind later...who knows!

Anyway, here are the first 4 squares I've made. I'm going to stick with these four color combinations and arrange them in some kind of pattern when I assemble the bag. What do you think so far?

IMG_2584.jpg

:cheer I finally got started on my bag! I decided to go ahead and try using a different square pattern from the original and make this more my own style. I chose the "Spinner" square from the 200 Crochet Blocks book, only using the first 5 rounds. The squares end up being just shy of 5 1/2 inches, using worsted weight yarn and a G hook. I think that this size sqare will make a nice tote-sized bag, without it being too huge. I do plan to make all 16 squares, at least as of now. I may change my mind later...who knows!

Anyway, here are the first 4 squares I've made. I'm going to stick with these four color combinations and arrange them in some kind of pattern when I assemble the bag. What do you think so far?

IMG_2584.jpg

Oooh, your squares are beautiful!!!!!! Love the color combination!:manyheart

I have done both in cotton. It is much more durable than acrylic in terms of carrying things. Cotton is very strong and acrylic, if weighted too much, can still tear.

Have fun!

I'd love to make this one. However, I don't know if I can assemble it. I've looked at the pattern a few times, and always backed away due to assembly. I think, if I make it all in one solid color, and trim with another solid color, I may be able to make sense of it for the next bag. Have you had better success as far as stregth and durability using cotton yarn or acrylic? I want to gift this one and would like to be sure it will stand up to some heavy usage.

:cheer Way to go on the new job!! I am looking too, but with no luck right now.

Here's what I got so far on my squares: (should be a clicky pic)

th_DSCF0214.jpg

What yarn are you using for the squares......very unique :yes

IMG_2584.jpg

I like. :yes :yes Your bag will look so good. :yes:)

I have done both in cotton. It is much more durable than acrylic in terms of carrying things. Cotton is very strong and acrylic, if weighted too much, can still tear.

Have fun!

I'm using my bag since before I finished the handles. It's not lined and so far it's been good. Even with my pens, lipstick, wallet, keys, crochet hooks (yup, still got 2 in there), and a few other things in there I haven't had too much problems with something pokeing out. Mostly it was the crochet hooks. :lolSo at times it gets alittle heavy but I haven't had any problems with it getting out of shape or anything else. And I made it with ww acrylic yarn. :)

I'm just catching up with posts, Sandi, I hope all is well.

:hug

Joyce

Well, I wasn't able to start until recently, as I went to the ER on Wednesday and have been FLAT on my back pretty much until yesterday. Now my middle is sore from crocheting in crazy lie-down positions~LOLOL! I do have eight squares done and am out of yarn. ~sigh~ I don't know when I'll be able to pick this back up, but it'll be waitin' fer me! (((((HUGS))))) sandi

Can't wait to see this one!

Joyce

I am slowly working on this one. I am doing this bag with 8 squares that are the Skull Shape Halloween Decoration by Sandi Marshall, and the other 8 will be plain. I am using Handicrafter Cotton in Navy, White and salt and Pepper print.

Cora

Here's my 2nd one. RH ww. I don't think I'll line it. I crocheted it pretty tight, and I think I'll use it for a yarn bag or beach bag....

OceanShawlandpurse.jpg

Shelleden, love the colors, looks great

This is pretty funny to me. I saw a booklet today, I believe it was Lion Brand, for a summer set that had a similar bag on the cover. I already sat down and started designing my own bag because I refuse to purchase the book for only 1 pattern.

Now I find this thread...oh well, was a good experience for me to design my first item. lol

Good for you on the designing. Hope you join us, this is fun

Here is the one I decided to start the other day. I just did four more squares a few minutes ago so have 8 now. I expect to finish the other 4 tomorrow and assemble.

Haekelbeutel1.jpg

Love those colors.

ok this makes a total of 5 bags made. I played around with these 2 tho.

th_071508014.jpg

The pinks one was done with 16 squares but only 2 rounds. 6 and a half inches wide by almost 8 inches tall. Cute for a little girl :cheer

The blue & pink vari was made with 12 squares 3 rounds. 9 and a half inches wide by 8 inches tall. I like the look of it better than the smaller one.

I am making these for the females in my family, mom's side (25 bags to make) I have 4 done but 1 is not assigned to anyone yet as it hasn't matched a color preference.

BTW I love these bags, can ya tell???

Oh, Tristi, you have me totally hooked. I'm nearing completion on my second and have bought enough cotton (got the Confectionary on clearance for $5 a 12 oz skein). I can't wait to finish the second and make more for gifts.

I got done with my first one! I did a booboo & used a black bobbin instead of a white one when I lined it. You can see it at ravelry or look on the pic below.

2671438359_4f6ca61d62_m.jpg

Jessica, I LOVE it.

I am so psyched to see so many messages. Been gone a few days. Gonna go read more now

Joyce

Oh, so happy for you! The 'ville is a great place. Love the colors you're using

Joyce

Guess what?!!! I finally get to really join in on this CAL! Sweet happystitcher read my post about not being able to buy any yarn right now and offered to send me some from her stash! Yesterday I received her package which contained one skein of cream yarn and one rose-colored yarn. After looking through my scrap box, I found a partial skein of tan yarn that seemed to match well as another contrasting color. (The combination kind of reminds me of neopolitan ice cream colors, so I think I'm going to call this my "Ice Cream Bag." :lol) I'm going through my pattern book right now to decide whether I'll use the standard square from the pattern or a slightly design like others have done. I can't wait to start this! Thanks again to happystitcher for your generousity! I just love the 'Ville! :manyheart

Oh, I almost forgot...here's a picture of the yarn I'll be using! (clicky)

th_IceCreamBagYarn.jpg

Congratulations. I know it's late, but was out of town. Glad you got your job

Joyce

I just came back from my interview and......I Got The Job!!!!!:cheer:cheer:clap:clap:yay:yay:yes:D:c9:manyheart:hug:hug:yay:yes:):clap:cheer:c9

Can you tell how happy I am? :lol:D:yes I don't know yet if I'll be working at Popeye's or Charleys. They'll call me next week for orientation and to go to the clinic on base for my health certificate. I'll have to get myself hairnets. They might have hats or I could tie my hair back but I'm used to wearing hairnets when I'm working with foods. I'm just so happy. :)

Those are great bags. The more I see, the more I want to make :lol

Joyce

Well everyone so far I have made 2 of these bags, one for myself in all white and one for my 4 year old. She saw the bag and automatically wanted one for herself. Though all she does with it is pretend to be a mailman....lol. I have no sewing skills so I had my MIL line them and she graciosly added a small change pocket inside.

th_IMG_0337.jpg

th_IMG_0335.jpg

th_IMG_0336.jpg

That came out great. Guess I should've waited 'til I got through all the posts to respond.

Joyce

Finished! I did 12 squares this time instead of 16. It's Sugar 'n Cream Summer Splash; the trim and handles are Hot Blue.

Bag.jpg

I'm using a combination of different colors of Peaches & Cream, Sugar & Cream & Lion Cotton. I am doing my own color changes in each block to make them diffferent looking. I saw one on ravelry that I really liked, and I'm trying to mimick it. It must've been a custom dyed yarn but was really cool looking.

I'm using mine as either a beach/pool tote or a project tote.

:) Hopefully, its not too late to jump in on this CAL!

I just racked up on some sugar n cream cotton, and I think it'd be perfect for this. I looked back thru several pages of posts, but not all of them. I need the experience with squares AND I love the bag, so I plan to start this weekend :D I think I may try a more solid type square, because I've never lined a bag and I feel pretty sure in my case, it'd be a disaster waiting to happen :( Guess I'll do more learning by trial and error...thats usually the best way to learn anyhow!

:yay Can't wait 'til quitting time so I can go home and get started!

Congratulations. I know it's late, but was out of town. Glad you got your job

Joyce

Thank you and welcome back. I've started another bag in cotton yarn. It's a green and white varigated and I wanted to edge it in white cotton. But when I went to my lys I couldn't find another cotton yarn to match the weight. I had a square in my bag so I had it to compare with. Do you think I could use white ww acrylic yarn with it? I think it'll look very good with the white edging it.

:) Hopefully, its not too late to jump in on this CAL!

I just racked up on some sugar n cream cotton, and I think it'd be perfect for this. I looked back thru several pages of posts, but not all of them. I need the experience with squares AND I love the bag, so I plan to start this weekend :D I think I may try a more solid type square, because I've never lined a bag and I feel pretty sure in my case, it'd be a disaster waiting to happen :( Guess I'll do more learning by trial and error...thats usually the best way to learn anyhow!

:yay Can't wait 'til quitting time so I can go home and get started!

Welcome! The more the merrier! We are having a blast and we are experimenting all over the place... different square patterns, changing the number of squares, all sorts of fun fun stuff. Just holler if you need help or encouragement!

I think you can always test the acrylic and see how you like it. That's the great thing about this pattern, it is very customizable.

Joyce

Thank you and welcome back. I've started another bag in cotton yarn. It's a green and white varigated and I wanted to edge it in white cotton. But when I went to my lys I couldn't find another cotton yarn to match the weight. I had a square in my bag so I had it to compare with. Do you think I could use white ww acrylic yarn with it? I think it'll look very good with the white edging it.

Here is a pic of the square I want to use....not a good pic, as my camera is about to bite the dust. Also, would probably look better in a solid color, but as I found this yarn on clearance, I couldn't pass it up!

It is right at 6", using Sugar and Cream and a G hook. Think this will look okay? I'm more of a plain jane when it comes to color...mainly because I didn't inherit the Martha Stewart gene and I don't have the eye for it :lol

I don't want to attempt a lining either, so I thought a more solid square would be better....

th_squarecrochet002.jpg

What square is that? I lined my first one & it did not work out to well.

Here is a pic of the square I want to use....not a good pic, as my camera is about to bite the dust. Also, would probably look better in a solid color, but as I found this yarn on clearance, I couldn't pass it up!

It is right at 6", using Sugar and Cream and a G hook. Think this will look okay? I'm more of a plain jane when it comes to color...mainly because I didn't inherit the Martha Stewart gene and I don't have the eye for it :lol

I don't want to attempt a lining either, so I thought a more solid square would be better....

th_squarecrochet002.jpg

Archived