Haekelbeutel (Crochet Bag) CAL, Anyone???

3 sides completed! Started on the fourth and hope to have that finished tonight so I can do the straps and have it ready as my Crochet Olympics project tote... :D

ZoeZoesmom,

I love your eye for color combinations, those look amazingly beautiful!

flybabytina,

I had that problem a lot, I've gotten to where I either ch 3 tightly or just ch 2 and my hole isn't there anymore. I also tend to stick with size g or h hooks.

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw this pattern and fell in love with it. I am thinking of making one for all my immediate female family members for our next family reunion. That gives me a year to make about 20. I think it would be a very nice gift to give all the girls. I haven't started one yet, as I am finishing a baby blanket, but will share with the Ville when I finish my first one. Thank you so much for sharing the pattern.:crocheting

[:Quote]

Originally Posted by flybabytina

I love seeing everyone's bags! I was inspired to start my own, but no matter which solid granny square pattern I use, I always end up with a yucky looking hole where my join is. After the last dc, sl st into ch 3... always the same instructions, and I always get a hole! Any tips on how to avoid a hole???

I have that problem occationally too. I have found that before going on to the next stitch after the join, to give a little tug to tighten the sl st helps cut down on the size of the hole. :) Or if you do not want a hole at all except the center, you may want to use this pattern.

I really like that square. Thanks for showing it to us. :)

What I use is a chain 2, then I dc in the space that I did the chain 2. Just make sure when you join the round that you do in the dc.

Hope that helps.

Cora

I use a ch 1 in the corners and I don't have any holes there when I join the squares together. :)

Well, I've finally started mine. I'm using yarn I bought from another board member here, in the most amazing colors. It looks like a big ball of fruit loops! I am using the variegated for the center squares and a lovely olive green for the borders. If this works up as quickly as I think it might, I may make up several of these for Christmas gifts, just to have a few extra on hand.

I do have a question, though. If I work it up tightly, do I have to line it? I'm working in acrylic and have never actually lined a bag. (I'd love to make this in wool and felt it, just to see if it could be done.......lol) So, is lining this bag madatory?

I think whether you line it depends on what it's used for. I don't know how tightly you crochet, but for purse purposes, I'd be afraid to carry anything like pens in it without lining. Though, I must admit, with what I"m currently carrying in mine, lining isn't completely necessary, just another part of this pattern I HAD to conquer.

Joyce

Well, I've finally started mine. I'm using yarn I bought from another board member here, in the most amazing colors. It looks like a big ball of fruit loops! I am using the variegated for the center squares and a lovely olive green for the borders. If this works up as quickly as I think it might, I may make up several of these for Christmas gifts, just to have a few extra on hand.

I do have a question, though. If I work it up tightly, do I have to line it? I'm working in acrylic and have never actually lined a bag. (I'd love to make this in wool and felt it, just to see if it could be done.......lol) So, is lining this bag madatory?

I read about this bag one day and seeing as how I had 16 squares laying around not doing anything I just had to put them together... I ended up lining it but didn't really know how to do it so my lining is kind of wonky but seeing as I'm the one using it I don't care... it came out so nice...I love it...

Now I have to make more.....

I read about this bag one day and seeing as how I had 16 squares laying around not doing anything I just had to put them together... I ended up lining it but didn't really know how to do it so my lining is kind of wonky but seeing as I'm the one using it I don't care... it came out so nice...I love it...

Now I have to make more.....

Can we see pictures???

Pretty please?

One more down off my Christmas List :clap

This one is for my sis

Done in RHSS Shaded denim and Lt. Blue. I only had enough Shaded denim for 13 squares so I used the pattern for the tapestry tote found here http://www.freepatterns.com/list.html?mode=list&offset=21&limit=21&status_id=A&cat_id=337

to put the squares together.

th_marci.jpg

This one is for my sis

Done in RHSS Shaded denim and Lt. Blue. I only had enough Shaded denim for 13 squares so I used the pattern for the tapestry tote found here http://www.freepatterns.com/list.html?mode=list&offset=21&limit=21&status_id=A&cat_id=337

th_marci.jpg

That looks great!!!!!:cheer Funny, I downloaded that pattern this morning! I am on vacation next week and hope to spend alot of it crocheting!

I've made two bags. One in acrylic and one in cotton and I didn't line either one. I haven't had too much problems with anything sticking out. Mostly just my keys. My pens, lipstick and other things haven't poked out at all. :yes

This one is for my sis

th_marci.jpg

I like the colors you used. Your bag is very pretty. :)

Well, as this first bag is for my oldest daughter, I decided to use up some purple yarn I had in my stash for the trim on this one. Wouldn't you know it? I ran out with 1 square left to trim! So, I put an extra row of the variegated on that one and will use it as my base square for assembly. That way, all the squares bordered with purple will still show and the bag will LOOK correct, anyway. I'm hoping that my daughter will use this as her "out with the stroller" bag-throw her wallet and a few dipes n wipes into it and a water bottle and off she goes! ( oh blast. now i have to buy more of the orchid to make a water bottle carrier. see what happens when I think out loud on here?)

y'all make me smile! :lol

I lined the first bag I made of this design, as it was a loose stitch and for someone else. I'm not sure if I'll line the one I'm almost done with (just have one more strap to do, then I'll take pics and post them 'cause it's really different looking).

It's a tight weave and I'm gonna use it as a crochet tote, so I was probably not going to line it until after the olympics, if at all. The only thing is I might have to line it for it to be any good at the fair I want to enter it in. If I have time for that, which is debatable...

I have many crochet purses and haven't lined one of them. Just a thought.

This one is for my sis

th_marci.jpg

Your bag is absolutely beautiful. Those colors really go well together.

ok, the bag section is done and assembled. I'm ready to work on the straps. However, the pattern at the link in the op does not show instructions for a lining. Can someone point me in the right direction? I think I'd like to make it removable, for laundering. I'm wondering if just a barrel lining with snaps at the top would work?

What I use is a chain 2, then I dc in the space that I did the chain 2. Just make sure when you join the round that you do in the dc.

Hope that helps.

Cora

Cora, that is the best tip I have ever gotten!! I tried it and it works like a charm. Wish I had known this a long time ago! Thanks so much!

ok, the bag section is done and assembled. I'm ready to work on the straps. However, the pattern at the link in the op does not show instructions for a lining. Can someone point me in the right direction? I think I'd like to make it removable, for laundering. I'm wondering if just a barrel lining with snaps at the top would work?

I never thought about making the lining removable... the snaps would be a great idea for that.

I lined my first one by cutting strips of fabric like the square strips and sewing them together like I did the bag.

I finished my 2nd one! It's a bit short, but my yarn fits perfectly, and that's what I wanted it for anyway, so...

Front View

Close-up of Handle

Stuffed with goodies!

I got a 'variation' of this bag in a bag swap earlier this year (the squares are knitted) and it's a fantastic little bag I use to hold my spindles... now I've found the patten I'm definately going to make another and I have some lovely cotton yarn that will be great just for this project!

Not to late to join in the CAL?

I got a 'variation' of this bag in a bag swap earlier this year (the squares are knitted) and it's a fantastic little bag I use to hold my spindles... now I've found the patten I'm definately going to make another and I have some lovely cotton yarn that will be great just for this project!

Not to late to join in the CAL?

Not too late! We're all hanging around :) Glad to have you join us!

I finished my 2nd one! It's a bit short, but my yarn fits perfectly, and that's what I wanted it for anyway, so...

Front View

Close-up of Handle

Stuffed with goodies!

Christinanthemum,

I am astounded by the versatility of this pattern. I love your bag...I may try to do the same sort of thing. I plan on making many of these for presents and some for "market bags" so I will want to do different things to make each bag slightly different...Thanks for the inspiration.

Christinanthemum, I love the colors of your bag! Makes me want coffee!

I have been slackin', bigtime. I have the bag made and the material bought, but I've been having trouble making myself line it. My mom (bless her PATIENT heart) has agreed to help me. I've been plotting colors and patterns in my head, but just haven't gotten going on my second one yet. I think I'm going to make one for my SIL for Christmas and stuff it with goodies.

LaVonneK - as far as blocking an acrylic bag, I have no idea. I always use yarn that can be washed and dried. I just wash it in cold water, and dry on low heat. Maybe some of the others in the CAL can add some tips...I'm lazy so I hate blocking

Archived