Haekelbeutel (Crochet Bag) CAL, Anyone???

This one is for my youngest sister. She, of course, had to be difficult and ask for black AND silver... I used 2 of my 40% off coupons for Joann's and got Lion's Lamé, only did 8 squares and the last round of the bottom connecting square. Its a tapestry tote pattern, I swear the next one will be an honest to god Haekelbeutel....

th_andisbag2.jpg

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Something I'm running into (I'm sorry if this has been addressed previous to page 53, I wish I had time to go through all of the posts!) is when I stitched the squares together, they seem to be peaking, making raised ridges. Will that go away when it's all together? Is there a better stitch than just the basic whip to connect them?

When I made mine, I did a slip stitch and turned it inside out so that the "raised side" was on the inside. I also lined mine, so you don't notice it.

Well, I finally got enough cooperation (sort of) from the cats to finish assembling my bag last night! I haven't gotten a photo of it yet, but I will try later today. Now I just have to decide whether to continue with the straps in cream, or to make them a combination of the pink and brown. I think cream would look better, but I am afraid I'm going to run out of yarn...decisions, decisions...

Just finished my third bag. This one is for my sister.

I used Peaches and Creme worsted weight cotton.. and I LOVE it!

I think I'll work on something else now before I make another one. :)

But I do have plans to make at least 2 more.

This is such a great pattern for me to work on while I'm on the bus to and from work.

th_Picture3007.jpg clickable

Just finished my third bag. This one is for my sister.

I used Peaches and Creme worsted weight cotton.. and I LOVE it!

I think I'll work on something else now before I make another one. :)

But I do have plans to make at least 2 more.

This is such a great pattern for me to work on while I'm on the bus to and from work.

th_Picture3007.jpg clickable

I love how the black works with the bright colors! It's fabulous and keeps it from being too bright!

I finished assembling my bag but I haven't taken a photo yet because I still need to make the straps and I left that yarn in my desk at work and its not worth driving over tonight to get it. Maybe tomorrow.

The only complaint I have is that there are a lot of ends that I have to weave in. maybe its just the way I did it but I'm seriously considering making the next one in a solid color.

The only complaint I have is that there are a lot of ends that I have to weave in. maybe its just the way I did it but I'm seriously considering making the next one in a solid color.

There are loads of ends to weave in.. it takes me about an hour just to deal with all the ends. :blink

I added a flower to mine. :)

th_Picture3016.jpg clickable

th_Picture3018.jpg clickable

I finally finished my Haekelbeutel! Yay! :cheer I would actually have posted much earlier, but Sunday our power was out all day because of the storms produced in the midwest by Hurricane Ike. I have been pretty busy around the house since then, so I'm just now getting online to post. Anyway, here's a photo of my finished bag. Once again, just for clarity, I used the Spinner Block from Jan Eaton's 200 Crochet Blocks, rather than the original square in Inga's pattern. I am very happy with the way it turned out, but now I'm wondering what I'm going to do with the bag as I already have too many! :lol

th_IMG_2841.jpg

I finally finished my Haekelbeutel! Yay! :cheer I would actually have posted much earlier, but Sunday our power was out all day because of the storms produced in the midwest by Hurricane Ike. I have been pretty busy around the house since then, so I'm just now getting online to post. Anyway, here's a photo of my finished bag. Once again, just for clarity, I used the Spinner Block from Jan Eaton's 200 Crochet Blocks, rather than the original square in Inga's pattern. I am very happy with the way it turned out, but now I'm wondering what I'm going to do with the bag as I already have too many! :lol

th_IMG_2841.jpg

That looks really good! My philosophy is you can NEVER have too many bags! But hey if you think you have too many you can send it my way! I don't have enough :devil

th_IMG_2841.jpg

I really like the way your bag turned out. I have a question about the handle. Did you make it separately and then attach it or what? I am trying to attach the handles to my bag and quite frankly I hate the way its looking. Thanks.

I really like the way your bag turned out. I have a question about the handle. Did you make it separately and then attach it or what? I am trying to attach the handles to my bag and quite frankly I hate the way its looking. Thanks.

Yes, I made the handles separately as the pattern says to do, then I whipstitched them to the inside of the bag. You can sort of see that in the clickable photo below. After they were securely stitched on, I did one row of sc around all the edges, and this gave it a finished look. Does that help?

th_IMG_2840.jpg

CocoaCream,

Wow! I LOVE it!! Did you SC the squares/strips together? I did on my bag, and almost did it so the 'ridge' would be on the outside but was afraid of how it would look. Yours looks awesome!

Thanks for the compliment! I actually slip stitched all the pieces together. I hate whipstitching squares so much...yarn just wasn't meant for sewing, in my opinion. I even prefer this technique for afghans made with squares, and I actually like the added texture and visual interest of the ridges!

I'm diggin' the texture, too. I hate any kind of sewing....well, its not that I hate it, I suppose, just that I'm not good at it and I hate the way it looks when I get THROUGH :lol Then again, I've not had alot of practice, either.

Great job on the bag! :cheer

I promised a true haekelbeutel and I delivered. So I intended to make this for my aunt but didn't realize that when I was finished it would look like a turtle's shell :blush ...

th_turtleshell.jpg

but good thing is my step mother in law is a total turtle FREAK so I think I will give it to her instead and do something different for my aunt.

i didn`t had the chance to start mine so after a week or so i`ll be able to do it

with this small nimber of squares i can do it in one day i made diffrent style of this bag before with the same idea took me one day with the linning :)

If its not too late, I would love to join this CAL. I have the strips stitched together but the diagram confuses the life out of me.....HELP!!! I am so glad I came across this thread because I am at the point of going bald from doing this: :thair!!!!!! I have looked at the pattern and figured out which was A and B and so on and so forth but I am totally lost!!!!

If you go to the first page of this thread Tristi created a great second diagram which I used when putting my first bag together. HTH

Joyce

If its not too late, I would love to join this CAL. I have the strips stitched together but the diagram confuses the life out of me.....HELP!!! I am so glad I came across this thread because I am at the point of going bald from doing this: :thair!!!!!! I have looked at the pattern and figured out which was A and B and so on and so forth but I am totally lost!!!!

Ok so I found the diagram that Tristi offered and right now I will attempt to figure it out. Thank you for the tip!

Mel, how's it going with the construction of the bag?

Joyce

Archived