Haekelbeutel (Crochet Bag) CAL, Anyone???

This time around I followed CrisKad's method and laid my bag out on newspaper (instead of fabric) and cut a template like a pattern. Then I used that to cut out my material, keeping the bottom closed so I would only have the sides to seam. Then, I sewed up the sides, put the bag and lining wrong sides facing and zipped around the bag. I haven't had a problem with the machine sewing messing up the crochet, but I did break a needle on my first bag so GO SLOW. Any other tips out there from anyone?

Joyce

Do you cut the pattern before you sew you crochet bag together?

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wow, i was not online for a few days, but you guys have really been busy!!

I like all the bags you all have posted the past few days...the pillow case idea is a really cool, makes it alot less sewing.

I have done purses before, and used the sewing machine to sew in the lining, like was posted earlier, you have to go SLOW. I sewed my lining side down and crochet side up, so the crochet wouldn't get caught in the material-scooter-thingy-bob, and had pinned it all together so it wouldn't go crooked.

still am at 5 squares...but i'm gettin there.

I am new here and would like to make this purse, I know how to do the squares, done plenty of squares, but I need to know how to put it together, when I do the squares, but I guess I need to go out and buy some yarn, I don't keep alot of yarn around any more only get it when I need it.

I love the yarn!

tena

Thanks! I'm loving it too. I originally intended it to be for a sweater or something, but never got to it and it sort of screamed "Use me!" when I was looking for what to make this in. :P

I've got a total of 6 squares now. Slow going because I've also got a bunch of other projects that need done before next year...lol

When I stitched mine together, I didn't do strips. I did the stitching on a stair-step diagonal. It was a tiny bit confusing, but it worked. I didn't want to have all the ends from joining each square to the one below it. I made it so that all the ends began at the very bottom center, and ended at the very top. Then when I was done I did a reverse sc around the top to hide those ends. I'm big on stitching over ends instead of tucking them in.

With all of the great looking bags I just had to do at least one

This one was made with Sugar and Cream Cotton squares are 4"

th_mypurse.jpg

clickable

Here is the lining - left over batik material

th_mypurseslining.jpg

Clickable

Here is the next one - 100% wool

Need to pick up more of the Charcoal LYS has it on order

Also thinking of changing the darker purple (upper right hand corner) to a yellow - what do you think?? :think

th_nextpurse100wool.jpg

th_mypurse.jpg

clickable

th_mypurseslining.jpg

Clickable

So very adorable, I love how colorful the lining is and can't wait to get on with mine now.

Also thinking of changing the darker purple (upper right hand corner) to a yellow - what do you think?? :think

th_nextpurse100wool.jpg

I love the color combinations there but I think you are correct, a yellow will look really good with the colors already there, the purple does look great as well, but given the darker then lighter blue and that the green color has a lot of yellow in it already as well I think yellow would look awesome.

th_mypurse.jpg

clickable

th_mypurseslining.jpg

Clickable

I really like the colors of your bag. I noticed you used two main colors and one color to outline the squares. I like how it brought all the colors together. My first bag was 4" squares too and it is the perfect size to carry around. The one I'm working on now I wanted bigger so my squares are 5 and 3/4 inches. Thats just adding two more rows than the first one I made and that was just 4 rows at 4 inches square. I'm still debating if I want to just do 12 squares like a few of the ladies or make it with the original 16 squares. I guess I'll decide when I put it together and see how big it turns out.

th_mypurse.jpg

clickable

th_mypurseslining.jpg

Clickable

th_nextpurse100wool.jpg

Kelly, your first bag looks great. I love how you used two colors of squares and a third color to pull them together. The second one you have going I love also. Are you going to felt it? That's going to be my next adventure with this bag, a felted version.

Joyce

Kelly, your first bag looks great. I love how you used two colors of squares and a third color to pull them together. The second one you have going I love also. Are you going to felt it? That's going to be my next adventure with this bag, a felted version.

Joyce

Yes, I will be felting the next bag. But I am going to change the darker purple to a bright yellow, I also have orange in Brown Sheep Nature Spun (this is the yarn that I used) so I will try both before I finish off the bag

Will be more of a "Autumn bag"

PS Using the bright color bag today and I love it :manyheart

To everyone who replied: thanks for all of the lovely complements

I so cant' wait to see your bag felted. I want to do a felted bag, like I said, but I have to get a couple of other things done/going first.

Joyce

Yes, I will be felting the next bag. But I am going to change the darker purple to a bright yellow, I also have orange in Brown Sheep Nature Spun (this is the yarn that I used) so I will try both before I finish off the bag

Will be more of a "Autumn bag"

PS Using the bright color bag today and I love it :manyheart

To everyone who replied: thanks for all of the lovely complements

Make sure the bobbin matches the yarn you used for the bag. Or be prepared to make adornments to cover up your mess up.l just like me. :think

This time around I followed CrisKad's method and laid my bag out on newspaper (instead of fabric) and cut a template like a pattern. Then I used that to cut out my material, keeping the bottom closed so I would only have the sides to seam. Then, I sewed up the sides, put the bag and lining wrong sides facing and zipped around the bag. I haven't had a problem with the machine sewing messing up the crochet, but I did break a needle on my first bag so GO SLOW. Any other tips out there from anyone?

Joyce

th_mypurse.jpg

clickable

th_mypurseslining.jpg

Clickable

I have that same material!

I am making mine with 12 squares this time. It is simply soft heathers in teal with a row of ss black around each square. I do not know if I am going to line it as I have been messing around &I think I made a holeless square without doing rows of single crochets. :hook I will post a picture later with my progress as well as a link to the pattern for the square I came up with.

Haven't posted for a long long time, that was only twice, I'm a pretty busy lady. I have not joined this crochet along but I have been following it. Also have just finished a P&C one. Hope you all don't mind me posting this but have seen the posts about lining them so thought I would share my idea.

While out shopping at the Walmart for some new sheets I came across a rack with Travel Size Pillow Cases in various colors for $2.50 ea. One was out of the package and I had a look see. These also have a zipper closure. So grabbed one up. Sure enough, it fits widthwise on my P&C one but will have to cut the bottom off to fit lenghwise. :yay

Hope this helps someone.

Haven't posted for a long long time, that was only twice, I'm a pretty busy lady. I have not joined this crochet along but I have been following it. Also have just finished a P&C one. Hope you all don't mind me posting this but have seen the posts about lining them so thought I would share my idea.

While out shopping at the Walmart for some new sheets I came across a rack with Travel Size Pillow Cases in various colors for $2.50 ea. One was out of the package and I had a look see. These also have a zipper closure. So grabbed one up. Sure enough, it fits widthwise on my P&C one but will have to cut the bottom off to fit lenghwise. :yay

Hope this helps someone.

That's too cool.. thanks for the info!

Archived