Haekelbeutel (Crochet Bag) CAL, Anyone???

Finished!

I designed my own squares, but followed the guide for assembly. Hope that qualifies it for the CAL... lol

I still have to line it, then it will be ready to use.

Here's my bag. My blocks were only +/- 4" so it made the perfect size purse for me!!

crochetpurse.jpg

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like a fun bag. Thanks for sharing!

Finished!

I designed my own squares, but followed the guide for assembly. Hope that qualifies it for the CAL... lol

I still have to line it, then it will be ready to use.

Here's my bag. My blocks were only +/- 4" so it made the perfect size purse for me!!

crochetpurse.jpg

:clap Hi, well, my bag is done except I have to finish the lining which I am not that great, pic will come soon, so here is what I did.

This a trial by error, the colors are brown, pale yellow, off white, yarn that was here, I don't keep a lot of yarn buy when I need it.

The squares are small 31/2, I did two rows, then sc around them, sc around in off white. 8 brown, 8 pale yellow, ( it came out smaller than I thought) I need to use a bigger hook since I am a very tight crocheter.

The handle I took and made a chain of the 3 colors, then braided, and put them on made sure I sew them good, the front I added some beads to hang in the front, the back just tassels.

Like I said it a practice one but came out real cute, and pic will follow.

I won't crochet the strips together this time, the squares were whip stitch, but sc the strips, don't like it that way, but the linig will cover it, and I am not a sewer,

The next one will be with Surgar & Creams, like that yarn, and colors most likely in beige, but I have to wait till we get home from the shore, leaving on Sat.

The squares will be bigger and handle, now I have to go and take pics and hope to send them so you all can see.:)

I love all the bags!

I agree with you. All the bags are great! :yes I'm almost done with mine. Just have to finish the 2nd strap and sew it on and I'm done except for the lining. I'm liking this 2nd bag better than the 1st one I made. That one was with 4" squares. This one is 5 3/4" squares and it's alittle bigger. I can't wait, I'll be using it tomorrow. :cheer:clap Minus the linning. :lol That'll wait untill I can get some material for it. :)

Everyone's bags look great! This really is a nice design for a tote. I would be interested to try one in Senso or other #3 yarn instead of worsted cotton - maybe that's how I'd be able to make 16 squares for it and not have it be positively huge.

My SD is coveting my bag, hahaha. I have started a solid kelly green one for her, that's the color she picked out of my stash. Will post it when done. She will pick out the lining.

wow lena that looks great!! is that cotton or ww acrylic? the colors look really nice together.

Hi Beasteez, it's a yarn from Anchor and it's acrylic. You can see it here.

:ty for all kind words.

I am from Pa. and we are heading to Stone Harbor, NJ my son lives down that way, around Wildwood, NJ so my daughter, grandbaby, sil and us are going down for the week, and have some fun,

Hope to post the pics by fri.

I have decided to use this pattern on the CGAG, Aug 8th challenge. I may use a differnent square. I did find this pattern at freepatterns.com that looks quite simular. :D but still havent decided what square to use. Thanks for all the information provided and the inspiration to make something different!

I've been MIA from this CAL, almost since I started! Other things keep coming up and preventing me from getting any work done on my bag! I have almost 6 squares done, though, so I know I'll get it finished sometime. I'm glad I'm using colors that will still work in the fall because I don't know if I'll get done before then! For example, next weekend a friend and I are going to try selling some crafts/crocheted items at a local farmer's market, so I'm busy making things for that! Oh well, I am enjoying seeing everyone else's progress!

I went to my uncle's funeral yesterday and my sister and cousin admired my bag. My sister told me to make her one. Maybe later. :lol I'm taking alittle break from :crocheting and reading a book. But I'll be back to bag making soon. Just have to decide what I'm going to use next.

Was at the state fair today and a lady saw my lime green bag while in a tent

Started showing everyone around the area my bag, then mention that she will be back at the fair on Thursday and gave me her color choice

A few beers later she was stating different colors

Ahhh thanks but no thanks :think

Wow, that's presumptious! Did you know her?

Joyce

Was at the state fair today and a lady saw my lime green bag while in a tent

Started showing everyone around the area my bag, then mention that she will be back at the fair on Thursday and gave me her color choice

A few beers later she was stating different colors

Ahhh thanks but no thanks :think

I feel the same way about the pattern, but had to move on to projects that I NEED to get done. Your bags look great. Is that camo yarn in the last one?

Joyce

Ok, I have been a slacker posting pis of my projects for this CAL, so here ya go,

Bag#1

018-1.jpg

Bag #2, needs handle and lining

019-1.jpg

Squares with the beautiful Miss Zoe for bag#3

020-1.jpg

I am loving this pattern, can you tell!!!!:D

I feel the same way about the pattern, but had to move on to projects that I NEED to get done. Your bags look great. Is that camo yarn in the last one?

Joyce

Nope not camo, they were all done in varigated Super Saver. The last one is great Fall colors.

I love seeing everyone's bags! I was inspired to start my own, but no matter which solid granny square pattern I use, I always end up with a yucky looking hole where my join is. After the last dc, sl st into ch 3... always the same instructions, and I always get a hole! Any tips on how to avoid a hole???

What I use is a chain 2, then I dc in the space that I did the chain 2. Just make sure when you join the round that you do in the dc.

Hope that helps.

Cora

flybabytina:

I have done a solid square that there is no hole, or at least it is a very very small hole in the corner.

ch 4, sl st to join

ch 3 (to make 1st dc) then 11 dc in ring. join with sl st (total of 12 dc)

ch 3, 4 dc in same st (counts as 5 dc in 1st corner), *dc in ea of next 3 st, 5 dc in same st*, repeat * 2 times, dc in next 3 st, sl st to join

repeat same concept each row...your corner stitch will be the 3rd dc of the previous row.

I don't know if i found this as a pattern (can't find it in my squares book) or if i modified a square pattern. I did this for a granny purse I made, and the only holes you have is the really small one in the center, and then on each corner of the row you have a pin hole - not big enough for an inkpen to wiggle through. I used a G hook, and i crochet average to tight.

Hope this helps.

[:/Quote]

Originally Posted by flybabytina

I love seeing everyone's bags! I was inspired to start my own, but no matter which solid granny square pattern I use, I always end up with a yucky looking hole where my join is. After the last dc, sl st into ch 3... always the same instructions, and I always get a hole! Any tips on how to avoid a hole???

I have that problem occationally too. I have found that before going on to the next stitch after the join, to give a little tug to tighten the sl st helps cut down on the size of the hole. :) Or if you do not want a hole at all except the center, you may want to use this pattern.

Archived