Haekelbeutel (Crochet Bag) CAL, Anyone???

You go girl, These look like fun so I think i may just have to jump in here and go for it. If I use Cotton can anyone tell me kinda how much yarn i would need. Thanks so much. Everyones looks just great!!!!

The last one I made, I used 12 squares and Sugar and Cream twists. I made three colors and used three full balls of the twists (I think they're 2 oz). If you go larger, I would add at least one more ball, plus what you need for handles so I guess what I'm really saying is more than four and less than five of the 2 ouncers.

Joyce

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I sure do like these..... are they as easy to make as they look? 3 SIL's are purse toters, and the bigger the better... Christmas presents

Thanks for sharing

Cathy

The pattern is pretty easy, just squares! Putting it together is interesting but there's a bunch of us on the CAL to help (reread some of the older posts as well) Come on join us.. you'll have fun!

The last one I made, I used 12 squares and Sugar and Cream twists. I made three colors and used three full balls of the twists (I think they're 2 oz). If you go larger, I would add at least one more ball, plus what you need for handles so I guess what I'm really saying is more than four and less than five of the 2 ouncers.

Joyce

What size hook are you using? I tried one with an I, but it sure seemed large. with only 4 rounds.

Thanks in advance,

Cathy

The pattern is pretty easy, just squares! Putting it together is interesting but there's a bunch of us on the CAL to help (reread some of the older posts as well) Come on join us.. you'll have fun!

I am going to join you all..... I have started already, going to use yellow cotton, for the first one and see how it goes.

Thanks,

Cathy

Joyce

Thanks so much for your info ;-)

This is going slower for me too. I keep getting interrupted plus I got a cold (in the summer?!) so I haven't felt much like working on any projects. I'm using a light weight cotton blend yarn and a size 'D' hook. I do want to finish this soon though. I love the color. It looks like an orange creamsicle with a bit of glimmer in it. I just finished square #12. I'll see how big it is when I piece it together after I finish 16 squares, then decide if I need to make 4 more before I stitch it all together. Maybe this weekend....

Alrighty then...It took me nearly THREE HOURS to get this bag put together.....(I know, I know...believe me, it was my own fault)

And no one said it would look like a string mop till I got all those ends weaved in!..(again, my own fault for not weaving while I go...)

Durnit...

Got 14 squares done in some cool new recycled cotton yarn I found, and now I'm positive that it's gonna be too big :cry I'm trying to decide what I'm going to do at this point, but if I put it together as is, I'm sure it won't be used. :sigh

How cute! I never would have thought of adding the ribbon... of course i don't line mine either but still.... adorable

Is it for you???

I finished my bag and lined it with a solid brown lining and polka-dot ribbon. I used my sewing machine to attach the lining and ribbon.th_100_0642.jpg

th_100_0644.jpg

I finished my bag and lined it with a solid brown lining and polka-dot ribbon. I used my sewing machine to attach the lining and ribbon.th_100_0642.jpg

th_100_0644.jpg

I love this bag. It looks like a bag you would buy in a boutique. May I ask what square pattern and what yarn you used?

I'm planning on making one in a variegate but may change my mind and do a solid one, after seeing how nice this one looks.

Great job! :hook

Thank you for the nice compliments. This is my first project that I have posted on the site and my first time to post pics and I didn't mention that the pics were clickable.

The purse is for my son's girlfriend birthday. I made it from Red Heart Super Saver yarn in Cafe. I used the pattern from Inga. I hadn't planned on lining it but the didn't like the holes in the pattern so decided to line it.

My daughter wants one now and I'm going to make that one with Red Heart Grey Heather - but I'm toying around with different square patterns - I want one that isn't so "holey".

Again, thanks for the comliments - I appreciate them.

Pam

Thank you for the nice compliments. This is my first project that I have posted on the site and my first time to post pics and I didn't mention that the pics were clickable.

The purse is for my son's girlfriend birthday. I made it from Red Heart Super Saver yarn in Cafe. I used the pattern from Inga. I hadn't planned on lining it but the didn't like the holes in the pattern so decided to line it.

My daughter wants one now and I'm going to make that one with Red Heart Grey Heather - but I'm toying around with different square patterns - I want one that isn't so "holey".

Again, thanks for the comliments - I appreciate them.

Pam

I looked your purse again and can now see that the square is the one used in Inga's pattern. Guess it just looked different because of the solid color.

Thanks for the info. It really is a nice bag, can't wait to see your next one. :hook

I finished my first haekelbeutel bag - and I LOVE it! I did the squares in a varigated purple and green (Sugar N Cream Country Ombre) but thought it looked to camoflauge (with there is nothing wrong with, but just not the effect I was going for) so I bordered each square with SnC's Lilac. Since I've yet to learn how to line a bag, so I used a different square which seemed more closed. I used Lion Brand's square from their Baby Block's Throw pattern (http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/70456AD.html?noImages= )completed 6 rows total for each square. I started out with 12 squares, and after I joined them I decided I wanted the bag a little bigger, so I did 4 more squares and was happy with the end result.

This was my first, but it will not be my last, of these bags!

The pics are clickable -

Here it is hanging up:

th_IMG_0817.jpg

and here it is with the bottom folded in:

th_IMG_0820.jpg

Please let me know what you think!

Thanks!

Kris

I finished my first haekelbeutel bag - and I LOVE it! I did the squares in a varigated purple and green (Sugar N Cream Country Ombre) but thought it looked to camoflauge (with there is nothing wrong with, but just not the effect I was going for) so I bordered each square with SnC's Lilac. Since I've yet to learn how to line a bag, so I used a different square which seemed more closed. I used Lion Brand's square from their Baby Block's Throw pattern (http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/70456AD.html?noImages= )completed 6 rows total for each square. I started out with 12 squares, and after I joined them I decided I wanted the bag a little bigger, so I did 4 more squares and was happy with the end result.

This was my first, but it will not be my last, of these bags!

The pics are clickable -

Here it is hanging up:

th_IMG_0817.jpg

and here it is with the bottom folded in:

th_IMG_0820.jpg

Please let me know what you think!

Thanks!

Kris

Wow! That's beautiful! I've been eyeing these, but I have too much on my plate right now. However, I have some Paton's Brillant that I think would be gorgeous as the connector between squares and the handle. Some day :D

Someone over at Ravelry felted this bag using hte sunrise/sunset square pattern and it turned out great.

Joyce

Hi ladies,

I am thinking of making this bag for my swap partner. She also wants a felted bag. Would this be a good bag to felt? :think

Thanks for your help! :clap

i was wondering if anyone could tell me some where else to find a pattern for a bag such as this that is not in the pdf format....thanks so much!

I haven't seen it anywhere other than in PDF. But it's just granny squares arranged a certain way and whipstitched together. You need 16 squares. Are you unable to use PDF format? Check your PMs.

I made one for my swap partner and loved how it turned out. I also lined it and used my sewing machine to sew it on. It was a little difficult on some of the the pointes. I hope to post a picture later. My was made out of green, brown and varigated. The lining was gold. I have to make one for me now.

Archived