Haekelbeutel (Crochet Bag) CAL, Anyone???

OMG you all. I am in & will get it up on my ravelry soon. I bought s&c in pinks/lavendars for this. Then somehow I will line it. I have an idea but do I hand or machine sew?

I think krystals daisy square would be awesome. But I'm doing the square on the pattern.

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I finished my bag last night...handles, edging and all. I only used 12 squares and my bag is huge! I'm glad I didn't use 16!

The only thing left to do is line it. I'm a novice sewer at best. Any tips on how to cut the fabric so it comes out the right size?

I finished my bag last night...handles, edging and all. I only used 12 squares and my bag is huge! I'm glad I didn't use 16!

The only thing left to do is line it. I'm a novice sewer at best. Any tips on how to cut the fabric so it comes out the right size?

My tip...not sure if it's a tip or not...but here goes...I have 4 bags ready for lining, 1 more that I already started this morning...and I am going to take them to my mom's for her to line then! :hook

My tip...not sure if it's a tip or not...but here goes...I have 4 bags ready for lining, 1 more that I already started this morning...and I am going to take them to my mom's for her to line then! :hook

Too bad you're not in Brooklyn. I'd offer your mom some nice homemade cookies in exchange for lining. :lol

LOL - I am positive she would take you up on the offer! We are about 6 hours from Brooklyn, so if you ever plan to make a trip to the area, just let me know...and don't forget the cookies! :) (I do get a 10% cut of the cookies for getting you together though! :):hook

Too bad you're not in Brooklyn. I'd offer your mom some nice homemade cookies in exchange for lining. :lol

LOL - I am positive she would take you up on the offer! We are about 6 hours from Brooklyn, so if you ever plan to make a trip to the area, just let me know...and don't forget the cookies! :) (I do get a 10% cut of the cookies for getting you together though! :):hook

Ahhh, had no idea you were so close. One day we might have to make a road trip to meet. And of course, I'd bring cookies! :D

CrisKad, I'm no sewer and spent all day yesterday working on the lining (didn't help we lost power in the middle due to a storm). I have to do it all by hand, as I have no sewing machine either.

My suggestion, pins and simple stitches. I used a whip stitch for all but the hem and it went fine. Hemming took the longest for me.

I'll post pictures soon.

I used 12 squares, size K hook w/Lion Suede and it looks wonderful! I'm filling it up with things for a friend going on a mission trip, but it's still half empty.

I'm trying to get the guts to make another, this one for me, but lining it hinders my resolve...

Pretty bag....I'd like to make it. I have a white shirt but no white bag to use with it. I think I'll do it all white and see how it goes....if it goes well then I just might branch out and make one with some kind of color.

I was up again way to early this morning, my little guy has an extended school year, but guess what I was doing after he got on the bus?!? Yep, started another one! I love that pattern! :)

YOU are a trip! It's 1:30 here too and I just got off work a couple hours ago so I'm still up too, but not crocheting :(

Joyce

I'd say I can't wait to see pics, but knowing you, I won't have to :lol

Joyce

I was up again way to early this morning, my little guy has an extended school year, but guess what I was doing after he got on the bus?!? Yep, started another one! I love that pattern! :)

I managed to do 2 sqrs on our 3 hour road trip to Children's Hospital yesterday. I was really tired from not much sleep and getting up so early, that I had to keep frogging one of them.

I managed to get a 3rd sqr started in between handing out snacks and drinks to the kids and reading the map for dd. I'll take pictures tonight and post them on flickr tomorrow.

We stopped at a cute little zoo on the way home and we had a great time.

Tena

I decided to take the easy way out and take my bag to the tailor to be lined. He told me no! He said it looked too hard! The TAILOR! :think

I guess I'm destined to line it myself. :lol

What on earth!?!? NO!?? Man!

Although, I'm sure you can do it yourself, then you can go show it to him! :D

Joyce

I decided to take the easy way out and take my bag to the tailor to be lined. He told me no! He said it looked too hard! The TAILOR! :think

I guess I'm destined to line it myself. :lol

Well I have one square left to make! WOO-HOO! I love loopy1's idea of using a different square! Why couldn't I have read that earlier???? Oh well, I may just have to make a 2nd bag! LOL Anyway, I've been joining my squares as I go, at least in the way they look in the diagram so all I'll have to do after the last square is join the sides together then do the strap. I hope I have enough of my dark color. I have just a tiny bit of the skein left and I would hate to buy a whole new skein just to finish one square! Please keep your fingers crossed that I'll have enough!!!! :~)

Fingers crossed! I know what you mean about loopy1s suggestion, but you know that just means we have more bags to make:hook

Joyce

Well I have one square left to make! WOO-HOO! I love loopy1's idea of using a different square! Why couldn't I have read that earlier???? Oh well, I may just have to make a 2nd bag! LOL Anyway, I've been joining my squares as I go, at least in the way they look in the diagram so all I'll have to do after the last square is join the sides together then do the strap. I hope I have enough of my dark color. I have just a tiny bit of the skein left and I would hate to buy a whole new skein just to finish one square! Please keep your fingers crossed that I'll have enough!!!! :~)

I loved Happy Stitcher's version of this bag and followed suit with her idea.

Here's my finished bag using the Circle of Friends square. I made 12 squares instead of 16 and the bag is still HUGE!

2657708376_a136477a30_m.jpg

Here's my lining, a plain maroon fabric. The tailor refused to do it...said it was too hard, so I was on my own. It took me all evening to finish it! My sewing is far from perfect, but I think it is good enough to hold up. Practice makes perfect, right?

2656882705_565072f6f5_m.jpg

I definitely want to make more bags, trying various squares. Its addicting! But this bag is all for ME!:yes

I KNEW you could do that lining. Now, my question is, HOW"D you do it? How'd you get the material to the points? I thought I had it figured out but I'm sucking up as many tips as I can get.

Joyce

I loved Happy Stitcher's version of this bag and followed suit with her idea.

Here's my finished bag using the Circle of Friends square. I made 12 squares instead of 16 and the bag is still HUGE!

2657708376_a136477a30_m.jpg

Here's my lining, a plain maroon fabric. The tailor refused to do it...said it was too hard, so I was on my own. It took me all evening to finish it! My sewing is far from perfect, but I think it is good enough to hold up. Practice makes perfect, right?

2656882705_565072f6f5_m.jpg

I definitely want to make more bags, trying various squares. Its addicting! But this bag is all for ME!:yes

I KNEW you could do that lining. Now, my question is, HOW"D you do it? How'd you get the material to the points? I thought I had it figured out but I'm sucking up as many tips as I can get.

Joyce

Thanks!

I folded my lining fabric in half, so that I would have two sides. I flattened the bag, layed it on top of the two layers of fabric and traced around the bag with a pencil. I cut the fabric out and sewed up the sides, leaving the points open. Then I pinned the lining into place and sewed it all on.

The cutting was the easy part. The actual sewing is what took me forever. Its not great but I'm pretty proud, LOL, especially since I first tried bringing it to the tailor. :lol

Thanks. That sounds a lot easier than the weay I tried it. Which was to cut four strips and sew them together like the bag is sewed together. You did great and should be proud!

Joyce

Thanks!

I folded my lining fabric in half, so that I would have two sides. I flattened the bag, layed it on top of the two layers of fabric and traced around the bag with a pencil. I cut the fabric out and sewed up the sides, leaving the points open. Then I pinned the lining into place and sewed it all on.

The cutting was the easy part. The actual sewing is what took me forever. Its not great but I'm pretty proud, LOL, especially since I first tried bringing it to the tailor. :lol

I lined it by cutting the four strips and sewing them together, that's wasn't difficult for me. It was hemming the material that was a killer (my fabric frayed easy)

Still trying to get pictures up...

I've started another set of squares, zig-zag multi-color from this book. I'm really hoping these turn out wonderful...

Well my bag is almost finished but I am so disappointed in it. It is totally HUGE and if I put anything in it, I probably wouldn't be able to lift it! I may try this one again using a different yarn and needle.

Thanks!

You should be proud!

On my other purses I do them the way you said, it's just easy that way.

Well my bag is almost finished but I am so disappointed in it. It is totally HUGE and if I put anything in it, I probably wouldn't be able to lift it! I may try this one again using a different yarn and needle.

Mine ended up huge too. So I didn't line it and will use it as a WIP bag, not too heavy. I also thought that it would make a nice overnight bag, maybe.

I would like to make another one, but I think I'll wait and see how others do it and then go from there. Plus I have a few WIPs:blush (one started last night).:hook

Debbi

Mine ended up huge too. So I didn't line it and will use it as a WIP bag, not too heavy. I also thought that it would make a nice overnight bag, maybe.

I would like to make another one, but I think I'll wait and see how others do it and then go from there. Plus I have a few WIPs:blush (one started last night).:hook

Debbi

I think huge is just the way it goes, the one for my friend turned out that way with only 12 squares. I'm going to try one with only 8 squares and see if it hangs right.

I'll let y'all know!

I think huge is just the way it goes, the one for my friend turned out that way with only 12 squares. I'm going to try one with only 8 squares and see if it hangs right.

I'll let y'all know!

The other thing I was thinking was only doing 2 rounds. That would make mine half the size and a good purse size for me. 3 rounds might make it a tote size.

Debbi

Archived