Haekelbeutel (Crochet Bag) CAL, Anyone???

Well I finished my bag tonight. I didn't lay the squares out quite right so they didn't match up like I originally intended. Also, the lining was far more difficult than I thought it would be so I just lined below the four points and I added a pocket for my cell phone. Here are several images (all clickable)

th_DSCF0653.jpg

th_DSCF0650.jpg

th_DSCF0648.jpg

th_DSCF0647.jpg

th_DSCF0643.jpg

Congrats on finishing your bag!! I like the lining colors. Any tips on getting it done? I haven't started my lining yet...it's a daunting task for me!

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Joining a little bit late, but...

I love the idea of this bag (along with all the pictures I've seen in here already) and have a friend who would adore it if I could get the right colors together for her...

Just one question for y'all.. how hard is it to line? I've never lined any of my bags before and have a feeling this one will need it.

That's really pretty! It almost looks like camo.

:clap

Thanks. It's Sugar & Cream Confectionary. A great big skein. I think I could make another one with what's left. The color is called Plum Pudding. :)

Beautiful! Great job and I love the colors you used. :clap I like that you made the straps a bit longer, I was thinking I would have liked to have made mine a bit longer too. Next one I will!

Thanks! It reminds me of those bags that people wear across their body. You know, like a sling-bag. I think that's what they're called....:think

Got mine done yesterday. I made my straps longer (100 sc). I might make my sister one in blues, her fav color.

Bag1.jpgBag.jpg

Very pretty. I am going to try one in all the same color next. I won't be leaving this CAL anytime soone :lol

Joyce

Thanks. My advice is HAVE PATIENCE and practice. I went and found a yard of remnant material for 80 cents at WalMart and tested that. Basically, what I did was cut strips of fabric a little longer and a little bit wider than my strips of squares. Then, I placed the strips just like the strips of squares and sewed the bottom first (right sides facing of course). Once I had the bottom done, I made sure there were no holes and if there were, I stitche across them. Then, I just pulled the material together, again, right sides facing, like th bag and sewed a straight line. I did that until all the strips were attached and fit in the bag. Unfortunately, I did do something wrong and I couldn't get the points of the bag to line up with the points of the lining. Instead of getting frustrated, I just folded down the points of the lining and sewed the lining into the bag, excluding the points (so, like a bucket, essentially). I probably will not attempt to match the lining up again when I make future bags. I saw on Ravelry someone said they'd line the strips of squares first. :thinkDon't know how that'd work.

I hope this helps. Don't find it daunting. It really isn't. Just take your time and have patience with yourself, the bag and the sewing machine.

Joyce

Congrats on finishing your bag!! I like the lining colors. Any tips on getting it done? I haven't started my lining yet...it's a daunting task for me!

I don't think it's that difficult to line at all. This is my first time lining a bag and I consider my effort successful.

Good luck. Can't wait to see your bag.

Joyce

Joining a little bit late, but...

I love the idea of this bag (along with all the pictures I've seen in here already) and have a friend who would adore it if I could get the right colors together for her...

Just one question for y'all.. how hard is it to line? I've never lined any of my bags before and have a feeling this one will need it.

I went out of town for the weekend and I come back to all these pics of GORGEOUS bags!!!

I love them all and its just fuel for the fire.

Thanks to all of you that shared your pics and welcome to all of you that joined up... we're having FUN!!!!

Think I will start another bag :P

Think I will start another bag :P

I'm right there with you Tristi. I know there's other stuff I need to be working on, but I bought another fabric remnant that will look great in a neutral colored bag.

Joyce

Thanks. My advice is HAVE PATIENCE and practice. I went and found a yard of remnant material for 80 cents at WalMart and tested that. Basically, what I did was cut strips of fabric a little longer and a little bit wider than my strips of squares. Then, I placed the strips just like the strips of squares and sewed the bottom first (right sides facing of course). Once I had the bottom done, I made sure there were no holes and if there were, I stitche across them. Then, I just pulled the material together, again, right sides facing, like th bag and sewed a straight line. I did that until all the strips were attached and fit in the bag. Unfortunately, I did do something wrong and I couldn't get the points of the bag to line up with the points of the lining. Instead of getting frustrated, I just folded down the points of the lining and sewed the lining into the bag, excluding the points (so, like a bucket, essentially). I probably will not attempt to match the lining up again when I make future bags. I saw on Ravelry someone said they'd line the strips of squares first. :thinkDon't know how that'd work.

I hope this helps. Don't find it daunting. It really isn't. Just take your time and have patience with yourself, the bag and the sewing machine.

Joyce

Thanks for the tips, Joyce! I will check out the remnant material from walmart and give it a try. Last time I tried to line a bag it came out really weird and bumpy :eek Practice makes perfect though! I'll let you all know how I do! :)

I finished my BIG bag, took some pictures but haven't downloaded the photos yet. And I wrote the measurement somewhere:blush. I'll try to post tomorrow when I have some time. I am not going to line this one (way too big, about 22" long from point to end--not counting straps) and just use it for a WIP bag for something like a shawl or baby blanket. I may try another one later, maybe even try different squares.

Debbi

I saw on Ravelry someone said they'd line the strips of squares first. :thinkDon't know how that'd work.

Joyce

----------

I thought about doing this too, but then you'd still have to sew up all the intersecting lines. I think making a liner separately in the same form and then sewing it on the bag at the points makes the most sense (and this will force me to get my sewing machine out of my garage).

BTW, how much fabric did you use?

I first saw this pattern a month or so ago and I think it's really cute. I was sorting through some PnC yarn I have, and I decided to make this bag in SeaMist (it's a variegated with white, blue and a pretty lime green) and line each square and the bag in white. I think that'll be a nice color combo for the summer.

I saw another lining on Ravelry that was fabric cut into the shape of the finished bag and hand stitched in. That might work well too. That one was done in fleece material. I bought a yard of each color I used and use two strips of each color to make my liner. I'd say it's well less than a yard, but I probably should've made my strips longer and wider than I did because the points weren't matching up (which is why I ended up folding the top down and stitching my lining around the bottoms of the four points). I'm definitely gonna try again at some point. I bought a really pretty remnant at WalMart that is neutrals but with pink-ish flowers.

Joyce

----------

I thought about doing this too, but then you'd still have to sew up all the intersecting lines. I think making a liner separately in the same form and then sewing it on the bag at the points makes the most sense (and this will force me to get my sewing machine out of my garage).

BTW, how much fabric did you use?

I first saw this pattern a month or so ago and I think it's really cute. I was sorting through some PnC yarn I have, and I decided to make this bag in SeaMist (it's a variegated with white, blue and a pretty lime green) and line each square and the bag in white. I think that'll be a nice color combo for the summer.

Joyce

Thanks on the tips and ideas on how to line the bag. I'm just finishing up the 2nd strap and was wondering how I was going to do the linning. But I think I need to get the material first. :lol

No, whether there is one row or many, it should be the same.

Just lay your two squares together, face up. The top loops of the outer stitch is what I used to join them. But it's your bag! Do it how you like it! I'm sure it looks great! :yes

Thanks. I'll try that way of joining next time. Oh, and thanks for answering my question. I was just wondering if I could do anything else to make it easier or better to join. :)

I started a new bag tonight using some Sugar and Cream twists that I bought on clearance at Michaels. The colors I have, conveniently, match a fabric remnant I bought. Gonna try something different with the handles and make this one a bit smaller (12 instead of 16 squares)

Joyce

Well, I did it!!! Crocheted all 4th of July weekend (even took my project to the Fireworks display downtown). On Sunday I felted the completed bag (I didn't put a strap on the bag, I'm planning on using a purchased purse handle). I used three skeins of Caron's "Felt It"...........it was barely enough to complete the bag without straps (but I snagged the yarn for only $.99/skein at my LYS). I've never felted before, but it was super-easy. The bag shrank by approx. 1/3rd. It's really neat! (I'm computer challenged, but I'll try to send a pic soon).

Here's the clincher; my 20 year old DD took one look at it and confiscated it.........and the bag doesn't even have handles yet!!!!

NOTE: My local Hobby Lobby is currently selling skeins of "Felt It" on clearance for only $.99. I guess they're discontinuing another "Brand Name" yarn in favor of their own brand. It looks like another brand of yarn is going to "bite the dust" @ HL............(sigh).

This bag is so much fun; easy, clever and beautiful..........I love it!

Juli from Texas:yarn:hook:yarn:hook

Did you use the pattern square or a different square ot make your felted bag? I would LOVE to see pics if you can get them posted. I have some pretty denim blue felt that I want to use to make this bag but was wondering how the square looks felted up.

Joyce

Well, I did it!!! Crocheted all 4th of July weekend (even took my project to the Fireworks display downtown). On Sunday I felted the completed bag (I didn't put a strap on the bag, I'm planning on using a purchased purse handle). I used three skeins of Caron's "Felt It"...........it was barely enough to complete the bag without straps (but I snagged the yarn for only $.99/skein at my LYS). I've never felted before, but it was super-easy. The bag shrank by approx. 1/3rd. It's really neat! (I'm computer challenged, but I'll try to send a pic soon).

Here's the clincher; my 20 year old DD took one look at it and confiscated it.........and the bag doesn't even have handles yet!!!!

NOTE: My local Hobby Lobby is currently selling skeins of "Felt It" on clearance for only $.99. I guess they're discontinuing another "Brand Name" yarn in favor of their own brand. It looks like another brand of yarn is going to "bite the dust" @ HL............(sigh).

This bag is so much fun; easy, clever and beautiful..........I love it!

Juli from Texas:yarn:hook:yarn:hook

Hi Joyce,

Thanks for the question..........yes, I used the exact square pattern the original bag was made out of. One thing; next time I'll only chain two in the corners of each square instead of three, as the pattern states. When I felted it everything "joined" together (if you know what I mean), but when I make another bag, I'll probably use LB Brand Cotton or Sugar n' Cream, and I don't want the "holes" to be as big.

The felting was easy, and the colors of the yarn blend beautifully from the felting process. You end up with a very sturdy, thick bag.......perfect for fall. Since the felting shrinks the bag, you could just make larger squares for a larger bag. ( I used an "I" hook and four rounds on my bag). Also, since I knew I was going to use purchased purse handles instead of crocheted, I pushed a pencil through each of the four top "corners" of the bag so as the felted bag dried I had "holes" to attach the handles to.

I really hope to post a picture ASAP..........my teenage kids can probably help with that! After work I'm going to my local craft store for the handles. I'll post a photo of those too!

Juli

Thanks Juli. Especially the tip on the holes for the purse handle.Though, if i felt it, I won't mind crocheting the handles because i know they'll felt into the bag and be sturdy. I cannot WAIT to make more of these. This so is not helping my purse/bag addiction.

Joyce

Hi Joyce,

Thanks for the question..........yes, I used the exact square pattern the original bag was made out of. One thing; next time I'll only chain two in the corners of each square instead of three, as the pattern states. When I felted it everything "joined" together (if you know what I mean), but when I make another bag, I'll probably use LB Brand Cotton or Sugar n' Cream, and I don't want the "holes" to be as big.

The felting was easy, and the colors of the yarn blend beautifully from the felting process. You end up with a very sturdy, thick bag.......perfect for fall. Since the felting shrinks the bag, you could just make larger squares for a larger bag. ( I used an "I" hook and four rounds on my bag). Also, since I knew I was going to use purchased purse handles instead of crocheted, I pushed a pencil through each of the four top "corners" of the bag so as the felted bag dried I had "holes" to attach the handles to.

I really hope to post a picture ASAP..........my teenage kids can probably help with that! After work I'm going to my local craft store for the handles. I'll post a photo of those too!

Juli

I'll tell ya' what, this bag was great for my crochet mojo because I was so disgruntled with crochet from the afghan I had to finish, ti was nice to bang out a quick, easy project.

Joyce

Your bags are sooo CUTE! I've been such a slacker that I've not even begun mine. ~sigh~ Kinda in a low mood today... I'm sure gettin' out some crochet is EXACTLY what would perk me back up, huh? LOL! (((((HUGS))))) sandi

Joyce..........I know EXACTLY what you mean............I just finished a prayer shawl for my SIL who has been given only days (breast cancer) - I worked on the shawl feverishly to get it done in time. A prayerful activity, but one that left my hand hurting. This bag was just the thing to inspire me again. The squares are "easy-peasy", and the repetitive nature of the blocks is, in some way soothing. I whip-stitched the bag together, which was perfect since I was felting it. Now I'm going back to Hobby Lobby to scour around for more "Felt It"...........this will be my Christmas gift this year - great for Mom, daughters, friends and co-workers.

Archived