Haekelbeutel (Crochet Bag) CAL, Anyone???

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:think Need a little help on the squares in the "Inga's crocheted bag" pattern. (I think it's the pattern that most people have said they are using for their bags.) My squares aren't laying flat!! :blush The part that is confusing to me is the "2 dc through chain, ch 3, 2 dc through chain"...does that mean 2dc, ch 3, 2 dc in the same ch 3 space? Ive made about 4 squares trying to practice and I'm not sure if I'm doing it right! :think Any help would be appreciated!

:think Need a little help on the squares in the "Inga's crocheted bag" pattern. (I think it's the pattern that most people have said they are using for their bags.) My squares aren't laying flat!! :blush The part that is confusing to me is the "2 dc through chain, ch 3, 2 dc through chain"...does that mean 2dc, ch 3, 2 dc in the same ch 3 space? Ive made about 4 squares trying to practice and I'm not sure if I'm doing it right! :think Any help would be appreciated!

Its a granny square but you dc in the dcs and (2dc, ch 3, 2dc) in the corners ch 3. I think I read somewhere that there is an extra ch3 somewhere in the directions that shouldn't be there. Just ch 3 at the corners and as a dc when you are starting a new round and you should be ok... let us know if that's not helping

The extra Ch3 is in the second round "Round 2: Ch 3, 2 dc, 2 dc through chain, Ch 3, 2 dc through chain, 3 dc, Ch 3, 2 dc through chain, Ch 3, 2 dc through chain, 3 dc, 2 dc through chain."

The red ch3 that has a strike through it should not be there.

Joyce

Its a granny square but you dc in the dcs and (2dc, ch 3, 2dc) in the corners ch 3. I think I read somewhere that there is an extra ch3 somewhere in the directions that shouldn't be there. Just ch 3 at the corners and as a dc when you are starting a new round and you should be ok... let us know if that's not helping

I had the same problem at first and I was going nutter trying to figure it out!!!!!

Tris4crochet has it right....just follow those instructions, good luck with your bag! Can't wait to see it!

Thanks for everyone's help! :hug I will try that and see how it works for me. I figured I wasn't the only one who was confused! Hopefully this will help me to quickly sail along on this project...I can't wait to see my bag all finished! :yay

I love this bag. As soon as I finish a couple of WIPs, I'm in. For those of you that have made the bag, what are the measurements and how big were your squares? I want to make sure it is big enough. Thanks!!:hook

I haven't made it yet, but from reading updates from folks on Ravelry, it seems a lot agree that a four-round square is the most desirable because at and 7 rounds the bag is HUGE. Again, I've not made it yet, but I plan to follow some of those other haekelbeutel makers and go with four rounds on my squares.

Joyce

I love this bag. As soon as I finish a couple of WIPs, I'm in. For those of you that have made the bag, what are the measurements and how big were your squares? I want to make sure it is big enough. Thanks!!:hook

I had trouble with the directions, too - so made up my own square;)

I managed to get quite a few done in the waiting room (my FIL...a check up) I made 5 rounds using Caron 4 ply, with a G hook (I crochet tightly). Looks good...:manyheart

I had trouble with the directions so I did the basic solid granny square on mine. I've used that pattern for a lot of squares (including my friends afghan done in squares). It's simple and easy and I figured would work for this. And has so far. Plus it looks similar to what she was suggesting.

Debbi

That does look similar to Inga's bag pattern. (I might try them on my next bag! ;)) So far the suggestions are working and my squares are coming out better. :clap I have almost 3 done and they are lying flatter and are looking good. I'm using a F hook with natural color lion cotton.

I had trouble with the directions so I did the basic solid granny square on mine. I've used that pattern for a lot of squares (including my friends afghan done in squares). It's simple and easy and I figured would work for this. And has so far. Plus it looks similar to what she was suggesting.

Debbi

Thanks for the link Debbi. If I have troubles with the other pattern, I may give this one a try.

That does look similar to Inga's bag pattern. (I might try them on my next bag! ;)) So far the suggestions are working and my squares are coming out better. :clap I have almost 3 done and they are lying flatter and are looking good. I'm using a F hook with natural color lion cotton.

:clap:clap Things are working out for you!

Joyce

So, I know I've said I LOVE this pattern, but did I mention it has consumed me for days? I have been pondering it and it's construction and then, the construction of some of the linings I've seen on Ravelry.

Well, I couldn't take it anymore. I went to WalMart tonight after work to see if I could find fabric with which to line my bag and decided, before I try it on the "good" fabric, I should test it. So, I bought a remnant and came straight home and started cutting, pinning sewing. This was NOT easy and this is sloppy because I just needed to physically DO it to get an idea of how it was going to work and I wasn't concerned with perfection, but here's my "test" lining :cheer:clap

th_DSCF0387.jpg

I'm fairly pleased because I'm SUCH a novice sewer and I'm hoping, with my sister's expertise, it'll look even better in the bag (now I need to complete the squares for the bag so we can measure it when I go to visit in two weeks).

Thanks for looking. I don't have anyone here to share my excitement with.

Joyce

This bag looks like fun to make! So count me in on this one.

I've already started one square with a random cone of cotton I have and my the largest steel hook (size 0, and judging from mm size, it's the same as a D) because I want it to be tightly stitched.

For those of you who have already made this bag, about how many inches across were your squares and how big was your bag? At 4 rounds, my square is about 3 1/2 inches across, and I'm pretty sure it'll need more rounds because of the small hook size.

This bag looks like fun to make! So count me in on this one.

I've already started one square with a random cone of cotton I have and my the largest steel hook (size 0, and judging from mm size, it's the same as a D) because I want it to be tightly stitched.

For those of you who have already made this bag, about how many inches across were your squares and how big was your bag? At 4 rounds, my square is about 3 1/2 inches across, and I'm pretty sure it'll need more rounds because of the small hook size.

I haven't made this bag yet but most of the ladies who have said they prefer the squares to be about 4 to 5 inches. Any bigger and the bag will turn out larger. I guess it depends on how big you want it to be. Maybe do one more round on your square and that'll make your bag perfect.

I agree with Pat, it all depends on how big you want the bag. I plan to do 3 or 4 rounds for a smaller bag I can use as a purse. And, I'm lining mine (I hope).

Joyce

So, I know I've said I LOVE this pattern, but did I mention it has consumed me for days? I have been pondering it and it's construction and then, the construction of some of the linings I've seen on Ravelry.

Well, I couldn't take it anymore. I went to WalMart tonight after work to see if I could find fabric with which to line my bag and decided, before I try it on the "good" fabric, I should test it. So, I bought a remnant and came straight home and started cutting, pinning sewing. This was NOT easy and this is sloppy because I just needed to physically DO it to get an idea of how it was going to work and I wasn't concerned with perfection, but here's my "test" lining :cheer:clap

th_DSCF0387.jpg

I'm fairly pleased because I'm SUCH a novice sewer and I'm hoping, with my sister's expertise, it'll look even better in the bag (now I need to complete the squares for the bag so we can measure it when I go to visit in two weeks).

Thanks for looking. I don't have anyone here to share my excitement with.

Joyce

I like that you are practicing with the lining! I'm a novice sewer too and I'll have to end up doing mine by hand. (That part's making me a little nervous!) I have 9 squares done and I'm starting to think about how to line the bag...what color to use, etc. I'm pretty consumed with this bag too!! I guess I could have worse obsessions! :lol

I haven't made this bag yet but most of the ladies who have said they prefer the squares to be about 4 to 5 inches. Any bigger and the bag will turn out larger. I guess it depends on how big you want it to be. Maybe do one more round on your square and that'll make your bag perfect.

Yeah, one more round put me at exactly four inches across. I think I just need to stop over thinking things and just go for it. If it's too small I can always add rounds later. :hook

Joyce that lining looks great.

For my lining, I'm gonig to do what I saw in some photos, and not do the points, just finish the lining where it goes across the top. I'm going to do it the easy way, at least that's my plan... not sure how it will work out, but this is how I've done it on other purses... I'm going to take the finished bag, lay it on the fabric, cut the fabric just barely over the purse and sew up the edging (bottom, sides), then fold down the top and sew to purse. I don't think it should be that much different, it doesn't seem like an FBB or anything that requires any special sewing... [haven't done an FBB but have saw the sewing instructions:faint]. If I can't do the lining that way, then this becomes a market/shopping bag (they don't need lining).

Debbi

Oh, trust me Debbi, I was leaning toward stopping before the point but I was so darned intrigued by the other method that I HAD to try it. That and I wanted to know I could do it. My sis is going to help me (she already knows, but I don't think she knows how much I'm getting her into). I think that lining it to stop at the points is still a viable alternative for me if I don't like how things are turning out. I have NOT read the sewing instructions for the FBB but I'm not good at reading instructions at all for stuff like that, I either have to be shown or just do (I'm a visual learner)

Joyce

Joyce that lining looks great.

For my lining, I'm gonig to do what I saw in some photos, and not do the points, just finish the lining where it goes across the top. I'm going to do it the easy way, at least that's my plan... not sure how it will work out, but this is how I've done it on other purses... I'm going to take the finished bag, lay it on the fabric, cut the fabric just barely over the purse and sew up the edging (bottom, sides), then fold down the top and sew to purse. I don't think it should be that much different, it doesn't seem like an FBB or anything that requires any special sewing... [haven't done an FBB but have saw the sewing instructions:faint]. If I can't do the lining that way, then this becomes a market/shopping bag (they don't need lining).

Debbi

now dont forget ladies... we can all cheat and take our bags to our local tailor to have them lined. :mdust:U:mdust

:mug

now dont forget ladies... we can all cheat and take our bags to our local tailor to have them lined. :mdust:U:mdust

That had crossed my mind too because i'd also like a zipper. But for this first one, I'm gonna do it so I can say I did, if only once.:hook

Joyce

Tsk, Tsk, Tsk....:lol

I can't wait to join you all in making this bag. I keep saying this week but this is Wednesday already!! I do need a project to take with me to a 4th picnic on Friday and this is probably the one.

Archived