Can you crochet while riding in the car?

While riding in the car is one of my favorite places to crochet! I love sitting in the back seat with my yarn bag just crocheting away. It makes trips go so much more quickly. Down here in south Texas everything is at least an hour away from everything else, it's two hours to Houston for my doctor, three hours to San Antonio for shopping, four hours to Mexico for more shopping, so crocheting makes the time just fly by. One can only look at so many miles of cow-filled pastures and fields of corn or milo, so it makes trips a lot more interesting. :)

Oddly enough, though, when I was younger, I would get sick if I tried to read or do anything in the car. Somewhere along the line, though, that stopped and now I can do anything while riding.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do crochet in the car, but always something that I either don't need a pattern for or something that is a repeat pattern because if i read in the car I get sick. Lately I have been keeping a ripple afghan in the van for trips. The pattern is the same for every row jsut with color changes as you go to stripe it so no pattern reading necessary. I also keep one of my lighted hooks and a few skeins of cotton in a drawer in the van so that I can work on dishcloths on a dark ride

Trains, planes, automobiles and buses. I'll crochet anywhere (in a box, with a fox,.... :lol). I feel dizzy if I stare out the window more than 10 minutes (everything flying by). On long trips, gassy highway smells makes me ill. I love ginger snaps, maybe I should try that.

Ellie 13

As long as we're not on a small 2 lane state highway I can crochet, read, cross-stitch, just about anything I want. I'll get carsick if I look down all the time on the small 2 lane highways around here due to the hills & curves. Unfortunately, I'm usually the driver....

I can crochet just about anywhere. I worked on afghans for my kids during some long car trips last year. My husband doesn't really mind too much - he'd rather listen to the radio & I'd rather tune it out.

Well as long as I'm not the one driving :lol

I agree with knowing the pattern. I've tried to follow a pattern while on a road trip and just wound up frogging everything cause i'd miss something here or there.:hook

Yup I always plan on it and have a special project bag just for that!

I don't do it in bad traffic but on the highway - it's perfect!

Hubby and I laugh about an afghan that I made during a 4 1/2 traffic jam on the holidays once getting thru NYC - he calls it my "4 hour afghan"!

I get car sick (really bad) when I try to read in the car, but I can crochet fairly easily. Not sure what the difference is. I'd be interested in learning more about the ginger.

I put all my crochet work in a tote bag with some pockets for scissors, hooks, etc. and put my pattern on a clipboard. This way everything stays together and I don't have to fish around for anything. Fishing around would make me car sick.

So, do you just shake a little ginger on your tongue straight from the spice bottle, or bake a fresh batch of ginger snaps to eat on the road?

Patty

Hi Patty,

Try looking for candied ginger. It's baked with syrup and sugar. Growing up here in Hawaii.. Tutu (Grandma) would always give us candied ginger as a treat before the long drive to Hana. Little did we know is help with getting carsick.

As an adult.. I forgot this.. went on the journey to Hana (2 hours through a very narrow and curvy road. crossing 52 bridges.. some of which were 'cross at your own risk'), W O R S T trip of my life! :yuck

Maybe you can find this in the Asian section of your grocer. The trick is... you need to chew the ginger. It has be to the actual ginger root.. not the powdered or spice version.

Ive used it before going out on the boat. Also, always carry a bag of candied ginger with you.

Good Luck.

YES!!! I've done countless 2-strand afghan (using scrap yarn) while my husband drives - great to do while travelling because you can feel the stitched with your finger so sight-seeing, dealing with the kids or whatever can still be done, and once you get going you can do it at night (because you can feel the stitches, and you aren't worried about matching colours).

I would suggest either a 2-strand scrapghan, or something small. I personally don't mind working on afghans in the van because I'm always cold in the winter and don't like the"blowy" of the a/c in the summer time.

I am now jealous of the lighted hook for crocheting in the dark - I always wondered why someone would buy one of those .... next time I see some I will definately pick some up: for the van, for the campground (we have a small travel-trailer and I don't always sleep at night ... plus if you've ever dropped your hook at a campfire ...) and for watching movies (my 6-year-old likes to watch with the lights off).

We live 7 minuites from "the city" and I get a little grumpy if I forget my knitting bag in the house, I like to have something to do AND I try to plan driving trips for my husband's weekend off (no kitties in the van to play with the yarn)

Good luck on your trip!

Fran

i have never had my license so i crochet a lot in the car. i have a hard time doing thread projects in the car. the only ones i bother to bring of thread are those done in size 10. i also keep a small lunch bag in the car (mine vecro closes for the fold over) in it i keep scissors and a dry erase marker. also a travel pack of tissues. this way i have them handy for snipping threads or marking off lines on a pattern if i am doing a filet piece. i also only take projects that fit on my lap. i do not want it hitting the floor of the car. to be honest i do not clean the floor of the car often enough to chance it ruining my project. i also stop crocheting in the car around dusk. this way i am not straining my eyes at all. but if you must crochet while it gets darker try a book light attached to you pattern.

I tried today when I went over to Tombstone for the morning. It didn't go very well! My stomach kept doing flip-flops so it took me the hour there and the hour back to finish what should have been a 10-minute preemie cap.

Yes, I can crochet in the car.

I guess it's an age thing. I used to get completely carsick if I didn't have my eyes focused forwards on the road. Growing up, our family had a station wagon, and the very back seat faced backwards. I could not sit there. I wouldn't even try sleeping in the car. And reading and crocheting were impossible.

Forty years later, I have no problems crocheting, reading or sleeping in the car. Although I still wouldn't try riding backwards.

I designed most of Dora's hats on the bus ride home from buying the yarn :wlol

I am finding now that I do feel a bit nauseus when I try to knit or crochet on the bus. Would the chocolate covered ginger candies work?

I will be looking for the ginger in the natural remedies though. Gravol never did anything for me.

I can and do most of the time, but it is usually a pattern I am familiar with and don't have to constantly look at directions for. Like a dish cloth (although those I usually knit). Or a rr because after the first 8 rounds or so, I don't use a pattern, just repeating the previous rows.

Since we did so much driving with DH job, I did lots of crocheting while traveling, but can't do it on mountain, curvy roads, but freeways, no problem....just when we get to a place that I am suppose to be telling him which way to go, I have to stop....but since I bought the gps, I just let "her" tell him....LOL

Archived