Can you crochet while riding in the car?

I'm taking a long trip this week-end and plan to work on a project, as I won't be the only drive.

Any tips for making crocheting easier while in the car?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, it gives me a headache...can't do two things at once, looking out the window is my job...especially when my children drive...ha!

I like to crochet while riding in the car as long as I know the pattern and don't have to look back and forth from a pattern to the project. Doing that makes me sick in the car.

I have crocheted for hours in a car on straight open roads, but anything like traffic and weaving or stopping and starting makes me carsick.

According to the tests run on MYTHBUSTERS, taking ginger works great on motion sickness. So I plan on useing that next time. It certainly couldn't hurt and stands to help a lot.

When I was a girl it made me ill to read or do anything but look out. Thankfully that has long since passed and I now take crochet or knitting with me everywhere to work on while a passenger.

I have no problems crocheting and reading patterns in a vehicle. If I have a pattern.. I put a check on the row I just finish and go to the next row just like I would at home. Matter-of-fact, I bring my crochet along if I know it's going to be over an hour drive! Sometimes DH doesn't like me doing that...but if he knows I have a deadline on it...he doesn't complain! :)

I have crocheted while riding, but it's not my ideal place. Sometimes if I ride along when my hubby has a couple errands and I intend to just sit in the car, I will take some crochet along to keep me occupied. But on a long trip, I usually enjoy just looking out the window at the scenery.

We travel from Colorado to Montana several times a year. I always crochet through Wyoming - I tend to take motifs along - they are very portable and easy to pick up and put down.

I do all the driving but in a couple of weeks am taking a road trip to see dd in college and a friend of mine said he'd go with me and take turns driving :woohoo I can finally see what it is like on the other side of my car. :yay My :hook in one hand and :yarn in the other. :c9 It will be a 4 day weekend for us but who cares I'll be happy as long as I got my :yarn and :hook and of course getting to see my dd.

I get car sick (really bad) when I try to read in the car, but I can crochet fairly easily. Not sure what the difference is. I'd be interested in learning more about the ginger.

I put all my crochet work in a tote bag with some pockets for scissors, hooks, etc. and put my pattern on a clipboard. This way everything stays together and I don't have to fish around for anything. Fishing around would make me car sick.

So, do you just shake a little ginger on your tongue straight from the spice bottle, or bake a fresh batch of ginger snaps to eat on the road?

Patty

I crochet in the car all the time. I use it as a tool to stop from having seizures while riding in the car, so I have a tote bag ready to go at all times. I made most of my WUA rectangles on the road! I've made a lot of baby hats and dish clothes too. Anything that is a fairly simple pattern and doesn't require a lot of reading! Have a wonderful trip!

I crochet in both the car and in the Tractor Trailer Rig (Semi) when I go out with hubby.

In the car I use the pocket on the door to keep some of my stuff handy as well as some of the center console.

In the Semi I have the whole glove box and passenger ash tray to set stuff. The ash tray (never used) is agreat spot to set my hook, scissors and pens when not in use.

I don't usually crochet when we get into a town with lot's of traffic, just can't concentrate plus if it's a new location we are delivering to I read the maps and help get hubby into the customer, after all, you can't exactly turn an 18 Wheeler around in most areas, LOL

I crochet on the bus on the way into and from work. Just simple things on these trips but if I'm in the car for a roadtrip, I bring a bigger project. It makes the time fly!

Archived