Can you crochet while riding in the car?

i can crochet if only i know the pattern.. if i have to keep moving my head from pattern to project then i get a headache!

but man do projects get done soooooo much faster in the car! :D i think its the lack of other distractions!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually I love it. I have a bag that is always ready to go that has hook, scissors and a couple of skeins of yarn and my 6 x 9 cardboard. I use that time to make my HAP rectangles. My boyfriend loves it because then I don't backseat drive. If I'm traveling more than 15 minutes my bag is going with me. I also take it anytime I have a doctor's appointment. Makes the time go so much faster.

I love to crochet in the car on short and long road trips Hubby and I went from OR to MO in Oct last year and I made a bunch of benies (sp) and now with the hooks that have the light I am looking forward to our next trip because I can crochet in the night time too. If you have not done it make it easyer on yourself by doing something that you know real well.

I can and do. We make about a 1.5 hour each way road trip about once a month in the winter and twice a month the rest of the year (sometimes every week in the summer) and I can finish an awful lot in that time. I try to take motif's or something small to make it easier. Last trip I made my grand daughet a really cute cotton top.

I've never tried it. I guess I just assumed that if I get carsick while reading in the car, I'd get carsick while crocheting.

But maybe I'll try the ginger thing and bust out a few grannies on the way to Indiana at the end of this month. It'd be nice to have something to do through the endless fields of flippin' corn!

I would take something that's not too big & you don't need a pattern to follow. Like maybe some granny squares or something.

I can somtimes crochet in the car but other times I can get motion sickness I cannot even read in the car I get really sick :(

I enjoy crocheting while riding in the car. Keeps me from being a back seat drives and driving my DH bonkers. I find sitting and doing nothing stressfull, so it helps to keep my hands busy. I have created many a doily while on the road and I even make notes for my designs while on the go. But I can't read while in the car. Don't know what the difference is.

I always crochet in the car. In fact, I take several different projects, both yarn and thread, with me each road trip to make sure I have just the right one to suit my mood. The shadow play when in the mountains from the sun shining through the forest is distracting and makes it difficult. I would highly recommend you get a mighty brite clip-on light so you can crochet after dark. The map light built into the car is too distracting to the driver and surrounding traffic.

When I was young, I could do anything in the car besides look out the window, but as I've gotten older, I've gotten carsickness pretty bad- if I take my eyes away from the window for more than 5 minutes, I'm sick.

But now I've discovered Dramamine and it is my new best friend!! :manyheart Take it an hour before you get in the car, and crochet the trip away. I use it when we visit my grandmother (a three hour drive) and it makes the trip seem WAY shorter.

If you can manage one way or another, I highly recommend it! :yes

I too crochet in the car. Even just to town for us is a minimum of 30 minutes since we live in a very rural area. It has helped over the years because I don't like heavy traffic and drive my DH nuts with my silly noises when other drivers make too many close calls.

I work on doilies or afghans. Just doilies in the summer time.

One thing I do is pack my project in my cloth bag and also include in the bag a 3 lb. coffee can to keep my yarn in. It doesn't flop all over the place and keeps from getting tangled. Someone told me once they use one of the large soda bottles for the same thing, just cut the neck of the bottle off. I prefer the coffee can because of the room and weight. I can use yarn or thread in it.

My husband hates to take me anywhere because I always have my bag with with yarn and hook. I have nervous energy. I can't just sit without doing something with my hands. I used to read but this is so much better because I can talk and watch the road. Now if we are going alot of turning and the road is crooked, I can't do it.

I can crochet or knit IF I remember to put on my seasickness accupressure wristbands on about 1/2 hour before I try to do either. When I was a tiny lass, my parents feared I'd never be able to leave the house--I'd get carsick before we got out of the driveway!

Reading in the car is still something I can't do, though I can look at a map for no more than 45 seconds. No good at sleeping in the car, and without my wristbands I can't do anything but look out the window, and at nighttime, even that doesn't help with the boredom issues...so I keep my wristbands handy.

So, do you just shake a little ginger on your tongue straight from the spice bottle, or bake a fresh batch of ginger snaps to eat on the road?

Patty, Ginger is sold in the vitamin department of your local stores or health food store..I have wondered about that ginger snap thing too.:lol

I love ginger snaps.

The same as others who have posted, I can crochet in the car as long as I am not trying to read a pattern and crochet at the same time. Cramped quarters make that difficult for me. And I will not be crocheting an afghan in the car again. Not enough room for me, afghan, and yarn.......

I can do anything in the car. Lucky for me I've never been subject to car sickness or anything like that. I read, write, do puzzles and have done crocheting and plastic canvas!

Oh, it's my fav time to crochet! I keep a baby afghan in the back just for long trips when DH is driving. When it's finished, it's on to the next. Large 'ghans are difficult, but I have been known to sit in the back seat with one. Doggone DH got a work computer he can use in the car now and he keeps making ME drive!

Archived