Which hook is your fav?  

507 members have voted

1. 1. Which hook is your fav?

• Boye Aluminum
    • Susan Bates aluminum
    • Wooden
    • Plastic
    • Other... please specify

Susan Bates. I have Silvalume Aluminum in all sizes and luxite plastic in all sizes. I just ordered a set of the aluminum with the bamboo handles for my birthday and can't wait to try them out. They even come in size L, M, N and for that I'm really excited. Can give my 13 yr old my Crystalites in those sizes since I don't like them. I learned on Boye hooks but hated dropping stitches all the time. Once I tried the inline of the Susan Bates, it really does make a difference, and now I haven't found anything else I like better. (OK, I haven't tried wooden hooks yet, so if anyone recommends wooden ones with inline heads, let me know.)

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love my Boye and Susan Bates aluminum hooks, but my very favorites are Laurel Hill palm wood hooks.:manyheart I never thought wood could beat simple metal, so this was a big surprise to me! Laurel Hill hooks are smooooooth as metal, yet much lighter and warm in my hand. I've tried other wood hooks (Fancy Kitty hooks are fabulous, too) but none have compared to the Laurel Hill hooks.

I've been using Boye for ages and love them. I've used Susan Bates (and in fact, I swear by their Quicksilver hooks for yarn that splits), but I've been using Boye for so long that I'm just used to them.

I don't do well with plastic--I find the yarn drags horribly, which is not good for my tendonitis. I love the Turn of the Century hooks for larger hooks that you can't get in aluminum.

I absolutely love my Susan Bates hooks both regular and aghan. Wood is too sticky for me as a tight crocheter. The first plastic hook I had was a crystal lite and it stuck. Now I have a large Susan Bates and it is wonderful!

I love Susan Bates hooks. The groove is a little deeper and more defined, and seems to hold the yarn better. When I tried other hooks, the yarn was constantly popping out of the hook and I'd have to grab it 2 or 3 times to get 1 st put in.

Real Deal

I have mostly Boye. There again that is the brand our local Wal-Mart sells. I have some of the large lucite hooks but not sure if they are Boye or Bates. I have a couple that I think are just a hard plastic of some kind, that are fairly large, but I don't think the yarn glides on them as easy. I have never owned a wooden hook.

I've discovered Bates bamboo handled ones. We sell them at my store, I bought 2 sizes for a project I am currently working on and love them. My hand seems less tired when I work with these versus the normal ones, probably the change in grip, the bamboo ones have a bigger handle.

i voted other. the favorites of my collection are some Hero brand hooks that my aunt gave me. she goes garage sale shopping to dig up antiques for her antique booth and she sent me a few hooks, including a bone hook, which i'm afraid to use since i crochet fairly tight. but the hero hooks have a very pointy tip! i love them. and the front of the hook is flatter than boye or bates, which makes it split my yarn less. one of the ones she sent me was a size F, and it's perfect for me to learn ami with! (too bad nothing i try works out though!)

I too like the new bamboo bates hooks :yes they just had them on sale like a week ago so I bought 4 of them in sizes g-j. They are easier on the wrist.

Other because...I've used Boye and Bates, and no, not much difference because the hook isn't my issue. I think I need to try a wood one, and in general longer ones. I have big hands, and I use an afghan hook when I want to work for a long time. ::sigh:: Someday, my job will come...LOL

Hi

I have to say that I love wooden hooks - Jimbo's and Papa Don's are the smoothest and much easier for me to use than Clover Bamboo for me. Plus both Jimbo and Papa Don make the most wide and comfortable feeling hook for me.

But if I had to choose an aluminum hook - I would have to say Susan Bates - because I tried and tried Boye and because the indent for the hook is more "rounded" that Bates I found it did not grab and hold certain yarns when crocheting. My yarns tended to slip out of the hook part a little to freely with the Boye.

:)

Boye steel for thread and Bamboo (keep at home do not loan to anyone!). and I've actually found that the newer plastic tiedye look ones work well sometimes too...especially for peachesandcream. They and the Boye aluminum (which I first learned on, so in a sense, are my first love when it comes to hooks) are my travel hooks. SB never worked for me, I've used a few of them, and never cared for them as much. interesting the variety in tastes! :D

• 3 months later...

I tried both the Boye and Bates hooks when I was learning how to crochet, and I really, really hated the Boye hooks. I find that they are difficult to get into the stitches, and snag on the yarn when I try to pull them through. My favorite hooks are the Susan Bates aluminum head hooks with the bamboo handles, and the Lion Brand plastic hooks. The only problem I have with the Lion Brand hooks however, is that I've broken two of the H hooks, when I was crocheting. I don't use any plastic hooks smaller than an H. I also have some smaller sized Clover Soft Touch hooks, and like the thick handle, but find that it's too short, even though I have small hands. I wish they would make the handles longer. I recently bought a few of the Crochet Lite hooks, and the handle seems very comfortable, but I haven't actually used them yet. I really want to try the new Clover Reflections hooks.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived