• Boye Aluminum
    • Susan Bates aluminum
    • Wooden
    • Plastic
    • Other... please specify

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to say, I like the Bates better. I never realized there was a difference til recently - bought a Boye size K for some double strand work, tried to use it and had to give up! When I look at the head, it seems like the Bates has a little crevice under the hook part that holds the yarn better. With the Boye the yarn just kept falling off. Frustrating! So now I am giving the Boye away to a friend in the hope that she can use it.

I tried a bamboo hook and didn't like the action (felt sticky against the yarn). Tried the Crystalites set of colored plastic hooks and the top popped right off the big one! Replaced it with one of those white plastic ones and while I like the hook, I wish it was marked somehow (I am not experienced enough to tell by looking what size it is).

Who knew there were so many little details to hooks! :hook

Kay

I like the Addi comfort hooks too for working smaller gauges. Really want to try the Clover steel hooks. Would like to learn thread work but I need a comfortable handle.

I use Boye aluminum hooks and steel for small thread.

I have a few Susan Bates but I have a difficult time grabbing the yarn with those hooks.

I wish that the Boye hooks were a little more pointed on the end, but overall they are my preference.

• 4 weeks later...

I recently purchased a whole set of the Addi color coded hooks from Skacel, and I couldn't be happier. I've had an H and G for a couple years now and they were may favorites, now it is all I use. As a guy, I also like the fact that they are nickel plated, not pink or purple or light blue.

• 2 months later...

Although I have not used it lately, my favorite is a hand-made double ended hook made from a dowel. I got it from a former co-worker whose father made them. I don't know what size it is but make two color afghans with it.

I recently bought a Brittany wooden hook size h and I really like the feel. Right after I got it I opened a sewing box I had got at a garage sale. Well there is a homemade wooden hook size h that is the best hook I have ever used.

• 1 month later...

I voted other in the poll as my favorite hooks are the Clover Soft Touch hooks. When I picked up a hook again two years ago I was using a standard hook, several types and I got Trigger Finger on my thumb which caused great pain. I stopped crocheting for a few months to rest my thumb and then started using the new hooks, ever since I started using the Clover hooks, no problems at all.

• 4 weeks later...

My Clover hooks - the ones without the soft-touch handles. They are my very favourites, I love using them. I have the entire set, of the regular size, still contemplating whether or not I want to invest in the steel set. These are great for people who have wrist problems (like carpal tunnel) and arthritis problems in their hands. I can crochet for hours on end with them and I have arthritis and no pain afterward with them

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I have been using Clover Soft Touch hooks for some time, but recently purchased a Jimbo hook since I didn't have a size K Clover. Love it! I will still be using Clover for non-K projects. The variety of hooks available is fascinating and I would like to try all of them.

Well my favorite are my wooden Jimbo hooks. I only have two of them though. And I use smaller sizes mostly. So I end up using the Boye aluminum hooks most often. I've tried other brands in steal, aluminum, plastic and bamboo. I didn't like them so they never get used.

• 2 weeks later...

i stated other as i know none of the brands mentioned and because there are only 2 types of hooks here.. aluminium ones ( which i use for thick yarn for amigurumis, and toys) and steel ones (much smaller for doilies )

Like LuvMaxine - I too have had trigger finger in the thumb and it was terrible!

I had been on a crochet "marathon" this spring and summer and actually ended up having to have the thumb injected at the base joint with hydrocortisone - :eek - yeah - painful! But it has not returned thankfully!

I posted here (I think around page 5) about my Papa Don hooks (he is no longer making them so I treasure mine, they took me a long long time to collect and have special groves for finger gripping carved right in them so they are a custom fit - making it easier for me to hold the hooks with a flair up of neuropathy. Those and the couple hooks I have from Jimbo are my favorite WOODEN hooks.

But in metal I love the Susan Bates Bamboo HANDLE hooks for travel and all around use - if I lost one it wouldn't be as bad as losing Jimbo's or Papa Don's to replace.

I buy the set of 2 blue hook cover/grips that Susan Bates sells and CUT them into 3 pieces - then slip one of the cut pieces onto my steel or regular hook - pushing it all the way down to where the bamboo handle begins - and then I have a built in "SHOCK ABSORBER" for my potential trigger thumb - I think the cushion helps the base of my thumb not get so firmly locked against the hook.

They come with one large and one small opening - so the large are good for the majority of regular hooks - the small are great for the small steel hooks with the same bamboo handles.

Here's a pic of the Batey Bamboo Handles with my "addition" -

CIMG9828.jpg

AND my set of treasured Papa Don's Finger Friendly hooks -

CIMG1204.jpg

Jimbo hooks are greatest...especially the thread hook I requested he make for me!!

He even takes on challenges for special request of Jimbo creations! I can hardly wait to get the set of JImbo/boye interchangeable thread hooks!!!!!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I mostly use the Boye aluminum because that's about all I can find around here, other than plastic hooks which I don't like at all. I did recently pick up a Clover Ergonomic hook at a LYS by work and I hate it! :( It's about an inch too short for how I hold my hook, which makes it very uncomfortable to use and definitely not "ergonomic" for me. It's going back to the store if I can find the receipt.

• 2 months later...

I have some plastic Boye hooks from the 1970s that I love more than anything. They feel nothing like the acrylic hooks found today. I also have some bamboo hooks that are great. I've never cared for Bates hooks much. I found a lovely old ivory double-ended hook at a local antique store, and I'd love to find more old ones. :yes

Archived