• Boye Aluminum
    • Susan Bates aluminum
    • Wooden
    • Plastic
    • Other... please specify

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I like the ones from Joannes...sensation? I may be biased b/c that is the one I learned on (I have a 10mm and a 6mm). I do have some Boye ones, but they seem skinnier and I need to get used to working with them. I really would like to try some wood ones, but see little use for plastic.

My favorite are the Susan Bates hooks (inline style?). The first hook I got was a Boye and it came with a kit. Shortly after I needed a different size and the store near me only had SB hooks. I didn't know there was a difference until I got home and compared them.

I can't crochet with the Boye hooks now. The blunted, rounded end makes it harder for me to get the hook into the stitch.

I also have a complete set of SB Silvalume crochet hooks that are my "stay-at-home, Do-not-loan-out hooks.

Marie

i answered bates aluminum BUT, i really have all manner of hooks in my position and like to try to use each one to it's best advantage. my most used lately one is my bates luxite P hook (the white plastic that is not squeaky like the colored acrylics are). i also have a double-ended 14" K hook, bates silvalume, that is getting some good use already.

I have not invested much in wood hooks because i've spent my money instead on unsual hooks first (double ended, cabled, afghan, easy tunisian)

It said I already voted in this poll. I guess it means the vote I just cast because I don't remember voting and this poll just started on Monday.

Anyway, I voted "other" and it's my Clover hooks. Now, I've yet to use a Jimbo hook but will be when the Traveling Hook II gets to me. But I guess I won't be able to change my vote if I like the Jimbo hook better.

:manyheart:hug

the Clover Soft Touch. Does Clover make the same metal and texture on their hooks on the ones without the soft touch? If so, I'm all over them!

Clover Soft Touch are my favorites. I'm curious about the new Reflections hooks they've put out. Their lighted hooks are good for dark yarns, and poor lighting. Next favorite hooks are the Brittany hooks I got in larger sizes: K, L, M.

Ruth

For years, I only had Boye hooks, but was given an inline style hook (not Susan Bates, but another manufacturer) and I don't know how I did without this style. Now when I look for hooks, the inline style is all I look at.

I found this page describing the different types of crochet hooks.

Has anyone tried bamboo hooks?

I have used so many different kinds that I don't really have a favorite except when i do very fine doilies I have a bone crochet hook that was my great gramma's that I use.. i do't use it much any more I find it hard to see and work with that fine thread since I passed 50...

I love the Susan Bates hooks. I learned on Boyes hooks and then I found these. They are just so much smoother and faster than boye.

But each to his or her own opinion.

I waited to tell you mine... I own almost all sizes in Boye aluminum hooks. And everyone was raving about susan bates... so I went and bought SB in sizes H, I, and J. I gotta tell ya... i dont see the difference... they are just more crochet hooks to me. So I guess I am a tied vote b/c boyes were my fav and susan bates is like the same.

I love the gold plastic flat handle from clovers? ( I think)

I have arthiris and I can handle these better for some reason. Pinkroses

I love my Susan Bates hooks. Ever since i tried one, that's all i'll use. Except for the q hook stuff. And also when i'm making my loops for broomstick lace, i'll use a Boye aluminum hook, but crochet the loops with a Susan Bates hook.

Archived