• Susan Bates aluminum
    • Wooden
    • Plastic
    • Other... please specify

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think i may have replied once before, but have recently found new hooks that are fantastic. Kollage Square Hooks are AWESOME! I suffer with aching hands and these hooks have solved it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hobby Lobby sells crochet hooks with bamboo handles. I find them easier to work with, because I don't hold my hook the way you are supposed to. I hold it in the palm of my hand. Though, I've read that the way I hold my hook is easier on the wrist. (Maybe they are the Susan Bates hooks. I never paid attention.)

Taphy

The Boye aluminum ones are the only ones I've ever used, and I've never had a problem with them. They're also the cheapest ones; I'd love to have some of the more expensive wooden ones because they're absolutely beautiful, but working at Family Video and having my fiance work at a dog kennel means that I can't afford to buy a whole set, and it would irritate me to just have one or two wooden ones and the rest of the set in aluminum.

• 1 month later...

I definately have a mismash of hooks, but I really like inline hooks the best. I have some Crystal Lites, but the smaller ones tend to bend sometimes and I even broke one!

I really do like the few Susan Bates that I have. I learned (many years ago) how to crochet on Boye aluminums, but I don't like the tapered shank because I tend to crochet as bit tight.

I didn't go thru all of the posts, but would like to know what you guys think of bamboo. I think I am due a serious new set of hooks!

• 1 month later...

My favorite hooks are wood. They help warm my hands as I work.

Some of these are older and where given to me by my Grandmother

and Aunt. These came from Ireland and England.

I recently purchased large hooks: P,S, and Q these where handmade here

in the states by Ed Jekins @Stitch Diva.

I love the feel of the smooth woods in my hand as I work.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a very old wood hook that I think is a size L. My sister gave it to me (I don't know where she got it, but I think an elderly neighbor had given it to her over 50 years ago.) I used to cut up old cotton sox and use the wooden hook to crochet small rugs with it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Clover Soft Touch! Definitely! I have an afghan I'm avoiding because it was started on Boye hooks before I got my Clovers. Even though I'm still loving the project, my hands ache after a short time using the Boye hooks so it's not been as much fun for me.

Glad to see this thread bumped up again!

I have a new found hooky-love. Clover Amour hooks. I like the way they glide through the yarn and especially they don't snag. I still put a gel pencil grip on them as the ol' King Arthur-itis always talks to my right hand knuckles. The hooks do allow me to crochet a bit longer without as much discomfort. Mainly, the stitch tension comes easier. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Clover Soft Touch! I still like my Bates aluminum hooks, but I can crochet for longer without problems with my Clovers.

Addi Swing for most projects, I just wish they weren't so darn expensive!  I have two (4.0 and 4.5) and they both cost around $16 each on Amazon.  Sooo glad I just found a place in town that stocks them for a few bucks cheaper (still going to have to buy them one at a time, alas).

I have found that my trusty Bates hooks work best with fibers like cotton (and lending to my knitting roommate so she can pick up a dropped stitch).

• 1 month later...

JIMBO interchangable thready set is the greatest!  My arthritic fingers don't work so well with the thin handles of regular hooks.

Archived