• Boye Aluminum
    • Susan Bates aluminum
    • Wooden
    • Plastic
    • Other... please specify

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was recently introduced to a Skacel hook by a LYS in Lindsborg, KS. I have decided I really like it. I don't know exactly why, but the weight and balance seem better than the SB and Boye hooks I have. It doesn't seem to tire my hands like the others. Do others use these hooks? Hobby Lobby and Michaels don't carry them.

My favorite are the Susan Bates hooks (inline style?). The first hook I got was a Boye and it came with a kit. Shortly after I needed a different size and the store near me only had SB hooks. I didn't know there was a difference until I got home and compared them.

I can't crochet with the Boye hooks now. The blunted, rounded end makes it harder for me to get the hook into the stitch.

I also have a complete set of SB Silvalume crochet hooks that are my "stay-at-home, Do-not-loan-out hooks.

Marie

Marie, you said it JUST RIGHT!!

I was recently introduced to a Skacel hook by a LYS in Lindsborg, KS. I have decided I really like it. I don't know exactly why, but the weight and balance seem better than the SB and Boye hooks I have. It doesn't seem to tire my hands like the others.

I use all kinds of hooks because I like to try different ones out. For designing I use Susan Bates for worsted weight acrylic, and Bates for worsted cotton, for thread either my vintage Lee Wards German steel or Tulip steel metric. I love my Boye aluminum N. I've been using my Japanese Raku Raku hooks a lot lately.I got them from Saucy Louise. They are double-ended, but not like afghan hooks. Each end is a different size. the middle had a ridged grip.They come in a set of 5. I also sporadically use walnut, bamboo and bone. I use the Crystalites in the big sizes also.

My most worn hook is the Susan Bates H.

I feel like a freak after reading these, but I love Boye hooks. I bought a Susan Bates one just to try it once, and I hate it. I use it because I can't find another J hook in the house and never remember to buy one, but there's just something about it I don't like. I can't even explain what exactly--the balance is weird or something.

I like aluminum best because they move faster. I'd like to try Addi ones since they are supposed to be supersmooth but haven't had the $$$.

• 4 weeks later...

Definitely Clover Soft Touch. I have a pretty stiff grip on the hook, and the width of the handle helps me loosen up a bit. Plus it moves like lightening!

I can't use a Boye's hook to save my life...hopefully it will never come to that. :)

I prefer wood hooks. A few years back I bought several on ebay from Niles Clark aka traderhorn, the more they are used the better they become. My most used wooden hooks shine like glass and are smoother than any other hooks that I have ever tried :D. Susan Bates Silvalume is my travel choice and my second choice. I also have complete sets of clover soft touch, bamboo, boye and a few hero. Sounds like I hoard hooks :lol.

Hi I have already voted in the past but thought you'd all like to see my favorite wooden hooks - just click on my link and you can see not only my favorite hooks but my favorite place to use them on the back of my land on the river!

Enjoy!:yarn:ladybug:heart:ladybug:crocheting

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u117/shuttlebuggy/?action=view&current=83b3bddb.pbw

I didn't use to care much what brand my hook was, but now that I have tried the Clover soft touch hooks...they are my favorite!!! My arthritis in my fingers is so much better now that I am using these hooks. The wider surface area allows my 3 outside fingers to lay out and not have to grip so tightly. These hooks are just great!! :hook

has anyone tried those crochet lite hooks??? I have a few of the 'smaller' sizes, c,d,e,f and that was all I could find in stores, I wasn't going to spend oodles if I didn't like them but I use my I and J hooks most :hook Anyone?

ps. I love my boye, and I have two of each size, alone with plastic ones too. I have yet to try wooden ones

has anyone tried those crochet lite hooks??? I have a few of the 'smaller' sizes, c,d,e,f and that was all I could find in stores, I wasn't going to spend oodles if I didn't like them but I use my I and J hooks most :hook Anyone?

Hi EMedley -

I DO use crochet light hooks in the summer time when camping and in the car traveling - at night each case and that is why I love the fact they are lit!

I also don't want to LOSE any of my custom wood hooks I pictured on my link above.

The only problem with the crochet (and knit lite) lites are the gauge - if your pattern calls for a K lets say - you need to use a J - I ALWAYS "size down" with these - because the hook has NO taper and runs big up the shaft to the handle - so they force a bigger stitch.

It is not an issue if you "size down" appropriately. I think they manufacture them with a thick shaft in order to get a better lit effect.:idea

I'm not sure if I've voted before but when I bought my first "how to" kit, it came with a Boye hook. It was ok because I didn't know any better.

Later I bought a set of Bates hooks because they were on sale, not realizing they were a different style (inline). After I had about 3 rows of my project done, I realized it was different and also how much easier crocheting was with this style.

I have several Boye hooks and have tried them out again and again, but the rounded head drives me nuts trying to insert it into the stitch.

Marie

Aluminum with Bamboo Handle

I bought a J/10 and the first time I used it I didn't like it. Sometimes my first impressions of things are wrong so I knew I needed to try it at least two more times before deciding I didn't like the hook. I started and afghan with the hook and by the second row I was hooked on the hook! It is so comfortable to use.

I'm a die hard Boye crocheter. I've tried the plastic and just completely despise them. Haven't tried wood, bone or bamboo yet. Funny how we all have the one kind we just love.. lol

Sore

Archived