• Susan Bates aluminum
    • Wooden
    • Plastic
    • Other... please specify

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

I love love love boye hooks. I really like wooden hook that my holiday swap partner sent me. It is smooth and very nice with any of the yarn I have used so far. I can't stand the susan bates hooks. but I needed one in a pinch and thats all they had.

I picked other, BUT my fav hook IS wooden, but its a JIMBO, none compare, its the ONLY hook I use, thats why I have to crohet in H because he made me a special one for my warped up fingers!! He is a GREAT man.

As of now, I have to choose Susan Bates. I'm still a new crocheter, but I'd tried Boye aluminum, Balene, and other plastic hooks with little success. Once my husband bought me the Susan Bates Silvalume set, I was able to crochet. :hook

I haven't tried wood yet, but I prefer wood when knitting, so there's a good chance I'll like wooden hooks too.

Ok. So I wanna know which hook is everyone's fav!

I really think I'm going to like the Lite Crochet Hooks if I can get myself a complete set. They only had like B C D and E the Fabric and Craft's Shop down the street and I got a D and E for 30 percent off today... So far I'm liking them.

:manyheart I adore the Clover Soft Touch hooks. A few months ago I bought myself a set of soft touch hooks and now I have a hard time using my aluminum ones. (Though I find SB easier than Boye when I have to use aluminum) I was also recently gifted with a M wooden hook-- it's a great hook too, I would like to get a few more.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

www.TwinBirchProducts.com hooks w/ enlarged handles. I use the 1/2" handle (they also make 3/4" handles), when i'm not in the dark using the light up hooks. Twin Birch guarantees for life; they replaced for no charge my I hook when a new puppy chewed it up!

these enlarged handles would work great for a very young hooker, or some one w/ arthuritus (sp?).

• 2 weeks later...

Even though i'm a beginner to crochet. I LOVE :manyheart the aluminum Boye hooks. I really like the rounded throats of Boye versus the slice type hooks like Susan Bates because they just seem smoother to me. In fact i'm shopping for a Boye set now since I only have a partial set of them.

• 4 weeks later...

I just got some bamboo hooks I spotted at Amazon -- it was a set of 13 for only $20, which I thought was a steal. Started using them recently and I love them! Second choice would be the Susan Bates aluminum; they fit my hands better and feel less "chunky" than the Boye hooks. The plastic are okay in a pinch (especially the larger sizes), but I'm not crazy about the feel.

I liked Boye better as a beginner. But Now I like the Susan Bates hooks because they do not seem to split the yarn as much. They have a shorter shaft so the action to draw up the yarn, then pull through is shorter.

• 1 month later...

Normally I would have to say Susan Bates, but I have started using some Boye's and find them easier to work with when using Fuzzier yarns.

However, a lovely friend from Australia sent me some Pony hooks and I really enjoyed using them, and have just finished ordering a complete set.

You have got to try a Pony....

I really, seriously CANNOT crochet with any hooks except the Clover Soft Touch and Reflections lines. They have better ergonomic handles than anything else I've ever tried -- and I've tried almost every type of hook. My mom only used the shiny aluminum hooks, which are prettier and cheaper, but which increase my tendonitis.

• 4 weeks later...

I dunno if I've replied but my tastes changed...

My susan bates bamboo handled H hook. I have several of them, but my favorite is the one my mom's puppy "customized" (She was a widdle scrap of puppyness and nibbled it a bit while I went to get a soda... so it has faily obvious tooth marks, but no roughness and I think its kinda cute and unique)

I mainly use steel hooks by Pony that's the main brand here in the UK. I recently ordered a colver aliminium hook which is said to be easier and more comfortable to hold.

• 1 month later...

Good old boye for me, mostly because they are cheap and I can find them just about anywhere. That and I've gotten used to working with them, I have one in just about every size. I do like bamboo, but I can't ever find a bamboo hook in a size that I need or I can't afford them.

I always use Boye aluminum, I have some of the cute acrylic ones, but I haven't forced myself to learn to work with them yet, they are sizes L, M, N, and P that I bought for working with chenille and ended up just using an I on anyway. I don't dare use plastic or acrylic in the smaller sizes, I've snapped a few in half. Oops!

Archived