Which hook is your fav?  

507 members have voted

1. 1. Which hook is your fav?

• Boye Aluminum
    • Susan Bates aluminum
    • Wooden
    • Plastic
    • Other... please specify

I like Boyle hooks as they are longer in length. I have some Susan Bates ones but they are shorter and rub against the side of my hand when I use them, which isn't often. I do have some hard plastic ones that I don't mind using and haven't used wooden ones at all.:crocheting

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really like Takumi Bamboo hooks and needles but I am most fond of my Lion Brand plastic *GASP* ones. They are MUCH better than the clear lucite ones I have used (and snapped) in the past. My aunt gave these to me for Christmas one year and they are usually the first ones I reach for. I have plenty of aluminum backups but if I can find my Lion Brand that's what I'll use. They also come in pretty pearlescent-like colors! I haven't found a yarn that doesn't slide easily over these and they are comfortable to hold if you have nerve damage or arthritis in your hands like I do. (Car accident, massive surgery, you get the idea.)

Plastic squeaks(which my mom LOATHES), wood splinters, and and cardboard.... well...

Alluminum is the best in my opinion. It GLIDES.

Some of my Boye aluminum hooks squeak :( My Bates aluminum hook certainly does glide though :D

As for a favorite, I haven't settled on one yet :think

I like the flattened head of my aluminum Boyes in some cases (like when my chain is a little tight), along with their friction (in comparison to my Bates) and then in other instances I prefer my Bates which, so long as my stitches are loose enough to get through easily, flies so fast I can barely keep up with it.

Right now I seem to have found a happy medium with my bamboo hooks which have the added bonus of being super light and not being so loud when my clumsy hands drop them.

Never tried a wooden hook but I'd like to. I love both Boye and SB (sizes F-K). I also like the big Crystalites. Actually, I haven't found a big hook (sizes L or larger) that I didn't like :D

My favorite, hands-down, are my Clover Soft Touch ergonomic set.

I have a Clover bamboo hook and I have never experienced such a rapid onset of wrist pain in my life as when I use it.

I bought the ProvoCraft ergonomic interchangeable set at Wal-Mart a couple months ago and though comfortable, I had to have my husband switch the hooks out for me every time. My hands wouldn't allow me to be able to do it myself. I gave them to a neighbor recently.

I have a forest palmwood hook in "K" and adore it! Unfortunately at $10 that will be the only one I will ever have, no doubt, but I do love it.

I can't stand Boye hooks, and love Bates silvalume.

Last week I bought my first plastic one, a Lion Brand in "L" and it's been very easy to use.

• 4 weeks later...

I've used Boye for most of my life, but decided to try a susan bates bambo handle and am hooked.I also love the clover needles. I guess it depends on what I'm crocheting and what kind of mood im in...lol

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

At last count I had over 250 hooks, all types. But I still use my original Boye hooks my great aunt taught me with almost 40 yrs ago. Just something about the feel of them I guess, even though I have other boye hooks.

I absolutely adore Addi hooks. I find they are lightweight, comfortable and the stitches seem to be more consistent. I think they are coated nickel with a plastic grippy handle. I started out with Susan Bates that I got in a beginning crochet kit, but the yarn slipped off too easily, I never got the right gauge and even though I keep my hooks in a case, the colored finish has worn off. I bought Addi hooks because they were only $1 more and I was using a pattern with exact mm hook sizes. I needed a 3mm and Susan Bates only had 2.75 and 3.25 because US sizes are approximate to the metric ones. I found that Susan Bates was good for amigurumi, but I am glad that I branched out to Addi when starting wearable projects.

I've used Boye Hooks many times - they are a good standby for me. I absolutely will not use a in-line hook (the "non" tapering head one right?) like the Bate hooks or the plastic hooks (they split yarn, slow me up and just feel strange to me when I crochet). I've also never tried any of the wooden hooks. My favorite hooks so far are the Addi Color Coded Crochet Hooks - just wish I could find some larger than J size. They are good for me as I have small hands. Interesting reading what everyone likes and dislikes.

• 2 weeks later...

My new favorite hook is a lovely wooden hook that I received from kidget29 in my Christmas Swap package this past Christmas. Not only is it beautiful, but it is the perfect gauge for the majority of my projects - mostly baby blankets and shawls.

I'll forever be grateful to her for this hook and I guard it carefully!

• 3 weeks later...

I love my Susan Bates hooks, I have some Boye hooks that I am willing to part with, I have no use for them and I just hate the thought of throwing them out. If anyone would like them just let me know and I will send them out to you (no charge). I just would feel better knowing they will go to someone that will appreciate and use them! Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I love my Boye steel hooks with the red plastic comfort grips most, but since I've recently made my own comfort grips with Crayola air-dry modeling compound I'm beginning to love the Boye aluminum just as well. I liked the Inox steel hooks with plastic handles, too when tried them out. Can't wait to start a project using them when I finish my current project.

Beverly

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived