Eight-pocket Tote CAL

barbn77

All the bags are looking great, ladies! I have finished the front and back and most of the gusset, which ate up an 8 oz. skein of Red Heart Super Saver with a G hook. I don't want to line it, but I may decide that it really needs it to be used as a purse.

Terry

• Replies 876
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't wait to see some of your finished bags!

I finished the gusset last night. Wow, I think that has been the most tedious part so far...but I haven't done the strap yet so I might be speaking too soon lol! I need to decide if I want a crochet strap or other type strap, I also need to pick out some material to line it...whilst I crochet the other side & it's pockets.

I was wondering if any of you were going to put plastic canvas at the bottom of the bag to stiffen it up and if anyone could explain to me how that would be done or if anyone could post a link to lining a bag like that. I have never done anything but gahns so I am pretty clueless aobut putting things together or lining things. Any help would be appreciated.

Wow I'm off line for a few days (been sick a bit and didn't want to bother) and everyone is moving along great! I stopped after the part of the second strap, I couldn't find the pattern (misplaced it:blush ) and didn't want to reprint it yet as I wasn't up to finishing the bag. So that's all I have left and the edgings on the pockets and sewing together. Plus cutting the lining, which I didn't want to do when I was sick.

I can't wait to see more pictures. Hopefully I'll feel better and have this done by this week. Maybe I'll post a picture anyway of what I have done.

Debbi

I plan to put some plastic canvas on the bottom of mine and will kind of wing it :hook I was thinking of tacking the canvas down in the four corners - with a couple stitches of yarn - to keep it staying put and then put the fabric lining over top (which is also something new for me to try) I look forward to other suggestions and tips for this :yes

I plan to put some plastic canvas on the bottom of mine and will kind of wing it :hook I was thinking of tacking the canvas down in the four corners - with a couple stitches of yarn - to keep it staying put and then put the fabric lining over top (which is also something new for me to try) I look forward to other suggestions and tips for this :yes

I plan to do that too. I have done it before & it made the bag supported better. I have lined a lot of my bags but this will be my first that has a very flat rectangular bottom so I think I'll take someone else's tip to measure & cut the lining before the bag is put together. I'll sew the lining pcs together, put the tote together, then drop the lining in & fold & sew the top. At least that's my plan. :P

This sounds a bit tedious, but I made my gusset rather wide so I could simply fold it in half and have it be a good width. I slipped my plastic canvas inside the folded gusset and crocheted it all together. This also gave it a reinforced yarn bottom which I like.

Also for reinforcement since it's supposed to be used for a laptop bag, I ran a piece of yarn through the straps to keep them from stretching out too much. I have to say that I'm disappointed in the Lion Brand Cotton, it was really faded looking compared to the crispness in the color of my Bernat.

I started finally! I did 3 rows, then had to frog 2 rows, now I think I've got another 3 or 4 rows completely done. Time to work on it some more.

I started finally! I did 3 rows, then had to frog 2 rows, now I think I've got another 3 or 4 rows completely done. Time to work on it some more.

I just did the same thing!!

Okay, now I know I'm really becoming a tote bag addict...check out this pattern! I printed it out (before it's gone) and it is yet another thing on my WIM list:eek

I also like Katherine Eng as a designer:manyheart

http://www.anniesattic.com/free_pattern_day/printer.html

Okay, now I know I'm really becoming a tote bag addict...check out this pattern! I printed it out (before it's gone) and it is yet another thing on my WIM list:eek

oo thats very nice !!

Judy thanks for letting us know about the trendy tote. I saved it in MS Word.

You can do that? How? Do you hit "Save as..."?

Good morning! Well, I finished the front of my bag and am half way finished with the back part of it. (2 hours waiting in a Dr's office sure helps to get work done on a crochet project!!!) I'm wondering if this takes as much yarn as called for. I started out with 12 oz of cotton figuring it wouldn't be enough for everything but my skein isn't even 1/2 way out yet so maybe I can make it stretch further than the pattern calls for!!! (Lord knows it isn't my crocheting as I crochet quite loosely!)

I was thinking about doing the plastic canvas lining thing as well but I really would like to sew a nice fabric lining over that as well. We'll have to see how adventerous I feel after I finish crocheting the bag itself!

I love, love, love it!!! When I saw your post I thought it was from yesterday and I had missed the pattern. I too am a tote addict. I find them the perfect

"in between projects" projects. kind of like darski's sig line, "when in doubt, make a hat", my motto is "when in doubt, make a bag"!!!

well, i couldn't stand it any more....Monday is library night with the kids (aka mom's crochet time) i broke down and started before dd's dress is done!! I started with one strand of the recycled green and with one row done, it was only about 10 inches with a G hook. frogged it ad used two strands with an H hook. after reading everyone's comments about it being too loose i didn't want to go with an I. with about 4 rows done it's 14 inches wide...not sure if I'm happy with that. i like the density with the H hook so I'll definitely keep that but might increase the chain to make the overall gauge of the bag. the recycled yarn has a beautiful, soft, bouncy feel with this stitch!! i have to keep telling myself "this is supposed to be for Emily, not YOU!" or I'll end up keeping it for myself. :blush

Archived