Eight-pocket Tote CAL

barbn77

• Replies 876
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't wait to see a picture!

I think the idea of plastic canvas is a great. I'll be giving mine to a person who will be using it for work and maybe her laptop, so reinforcing it is a must! I was thinking about plastic canvas or something a bit sturdier for the bottom. Not sure how necessary it is for the sides.

It would work nice for a lap top. For that I think I would line all of it with the canvas then cover it in a pretty fabric. Since the handle straps start at the bottom of the bag, it should be fairly safe to carry. I had mine weighted down with a heavy binder and other things and would not have wanted the straps to be attached at the top of the bag. I used a large button to make sure it would stay closed.

If I get a chance Sunday, maybe I can figure out how to post the pic.

Denise

ok ok i have been reading every post that is in this CAL

i really want to do it :yes but i have to finish an item for a friend ....dammm i want to make the bag NOOOOWWWWW

i just printed out the pattern so am am one step closer right ??? :lol

i know what the colour is going to be for the main part ...its a shade of blue like a bright greeny blue ooo i found a pic of the color

its the same as the colour of her dress, i have HEAPS of the yarn left

oh and that is the doll i have to make for my friend except with curly hair :hook

IMG_1307.jpg

Good morning,

So I got my yarn last night and did up about 6 inches of the back (or front). It is officially in royal blue and black. I also bought kelly green and black to make a second one to give my Mom for Christmas.

I love the plastic canvas idea! :clap I plan to use mine as a briefcase type bag (to carry books and what-not to and from class) and the extra strength will be great!

Off to stitchand sip coffee for a while before I head out witha couple friends to chech out flea markets :yes

Kathy colors sound great.

Clare its great to see another aussie. I like that doll by the way. The color of the dress will be great for the bag, what other color are you using.

hey aussie isnt the doll cute ;) im not sure what other coulour to use ???? :think :think

everyones opinion

what else will go with that color???

The only reason why I hesitate about making the sides stiff is because it no longer becomes squishable. It's a strange thing about most of my friends, but most of them like it when bags go compact really easily. I'm in the middle of having a pattern for a protective laptop sleeve tested, so I'm not worried about it getting jostled around or anything because she's getting a whole set of electronics cozies!! iPod, cellphone, laptop, various cables holder, and now a bag to carry it all in! I'm really a horrible enabler when it comes to pretty crocheted items!!

The only reason why I hesitate about making the sides stiff is because it no longer becomes squishable. It's a strange thing about most of my friends, but most of them like it when bags go compact really easily. I'm in the middle of having a pattern for a protective laptop sleeve tested, so I'm not worried about it getting jostled around or anything because she's getting a whole set of electronics cozies!! iPod, cellphone, laptop, various cables holder, and now a bag to carry it all in! I'm really a horrible enabler when it comes to pretty crocheted items!!

NOW I'm rethinking using the plastic canvas to stiffen the tote!!:think

I, too, like squishable bags - my Spring SP made me a tote but only put the canvas on the bottom, which works for me:hook

oh no .......i gave in to temptation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :woo

i have started the bag :yes

i just love the texture that the stitches give it looks great

aussie ~ i think i am gona go with black, the main colour i am using is kind of a strange colour like me :lol and i couldn't get it to just GO with another color

Clare those 2 colors are going to look so nice together. Everyone has said that the pattern is easy and looks really nice.

thanks it was your idea;) the pattern is really easy once you get into the groove of alternating the stitches ....just a tip....dont talk whilst crocheting the bag :rofl

i am using 8ply and a 3.5 hook so the bag is smaller....its 30cm across instead of 40cm .....but i am not worried

ill know for next time what to use :hook

I haven't started my bag yet, Wendy - I want to get a head start on a couple of things for the SP swap first. After a couple of days of that I should be diving in!

I still haven't started my bag yet...I'm locking forward to it though. Sounds like everyone is making progress.

I can't wait to see pics of all the color combinations.

Welcome to the CAL Salli and Clare!

I didn't find any fabric I liked at Wal-mart, though that wasn't a big surprise. I know alot of people have been talking about their stores phasing out the fabric/craft section. Mine is a little slow about making progress, so that probably won't happen for a while...but that section sure is neglected anyway! While I was looking at fabric there was this poor lady standing at the counter waiting for someone to come cut some material for her. She said she'd been standing there for over 10 minutes! I was kinda glad that I didn't find anything after that...I wasn't going to wait that long for help!

About reinforcing the sides, the reason I'm thinking about it is that I plan to use this bag to care WIPs to church and school to work on. At school especially, I like to set my bag down next to me at naptime and crochet while the kids go to sleep. I always try to keep the yarn inside the bag while I have my project on my lap (so the kids don't have as many things to look at and be distracted.) But the totes I have are just fabric, and the sides always collapse in and the yarn gets stuck...very annoying. I guess it's just a personal preference, though!

This bag looks like it is made to stand up. I am going to use something to make it stand up, especially as I made mine loose. I was thinking iron on fabric stiffener, but wait...the acrylic will melt. For my next one I will use cotton and some off that.

Well I have the back done and a couple inches on the front piece. This does work up fairly quick. And I also found that I need to concentrate a bit too - I have a few spots where I did dc, sc, sc, sc then a dc :lol Oh well... Didn't notice it until I was coming back the other way :blush

Quick question for someone. How much fabric for the lining? A half meter (yard) should be plenty?? :think I don't really want to think too hard on the weekend :P

Archived