Eight-pocket Tote CAL

barbn77

Judy, yes the yarn is very nice, I cant wait to start it now. How are you going with yours.

I did the back panel - love the pattern, BTW - but for now I need to finish one or two other things for my SP before going back to it. I'm still undecided about putting plastic canvas on the bottom/side to make it stnd up - I'll be following everybody's progress here and see what the consensus of opinion is.

It'll work up fast for you - you're speedy!:yes

• Replies 876
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow you have done one panel already. I am trying to finish the navajo bag. Its not far off finishing and I know if I start the tote then the navajo will get put aside.

Hubby is away till Thursday - lots of crochet time:P

It is an easy pattern, too.

That's awesome!

Are you going to put plastic canvas inside to stiffen the bag? I'm still on the fence about that - good thing I have lots of time to decide!

You know I never thought about it until I saw this CAL. It was standing up pretty nice. I used RH acrylic and as we all know how "rough" that stuff is. Then I was thinking that eventually soften up. So I just might. This is going to be my WIP bag and I don't want my skeins getting too squished...I don't like squished skeins :angry.

I'm not sure how far along everyone is...but has anyone noticed how heavy this tote is? I have never made a tote...just small bags. I wasn't sure if that was because of the stitch type or if all totes are heavy. Just and observation...:D

I thought I posted this morning. Now I see that I didn't. Is it ok if I join? I have been working on this bag for a little bit. It is turning out to be a 3 tone bag (with one color being varigated) and I am only putting 3 pockets. Can I still work with you? I am almost finished! :)

This is what I have so far.

th_P1000097.jpg

I made the bottom alittle wider so a skein of yarn could fit in with other stuff and not get too squished.

Very pretty!!:cheer

Donna, I didn't use as much yarn as it called for. I had two adjustments to mine that I think equals out. I dropped the side pockets because I knew they wouldn't be used and made the bag taller since it's intended as a laptop bag. I also made my straps a bit longer since she's a bigger woman and would want to carry it on her shoulder.

I only used 1 Bernat Handicrafter 12oz skein and 1 Lion Brand cotton skein for mine.

Thanks for the info Renee!!! I just finished the gusset last night and realized I wouldn't have enough for all the pockets but like you I don't think it needs all those pockets. I think maybe the front ones would be just fine!!! If I can get a whole front pocket section out of what I have left I'll be happy. After trying some contrasting solids I decided that would make this bag too "funky" for my best friend. For me it would be great but she's not the kind of person who likes outrageous color combinations. She likes things that are "safe" I think so my plan now is to stick to the varigated color I have and do the handles and trim in yellow.

I was gifted some awesome yellow "double" WW cotton in the cotton swap which is super thick and works really well for the handles. Makes them super strong and durable.

I don't know if I can get a pic today but I'll aim for tomorrow!

Thanks everyone! This really helps move me along on my tote!

I finished the gusset and the 2 small pockets last nite. I'm wondering if Fun Foam will work to stiffen the bottom and maybe the sides. If I have to line it, the fun foam would be hidden. I used a G hook and I still made gauge. It will be a big purse, but that's what my sis wanted.

Barb, thanks so much for posting this CAL! I can't join in at the moment since I'm in the middle of serious stash-busting, but this tote is definitely on my WIM list. And if the CAL is still hooking along once I get the stash back to a manageable level, I'd love to hop on the wagon.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i67/Debbi-a1/8pocket8-22.jpg

It's not sewen together, I just laid each piece on top to see what it would look like. I weaved in the ends of the front, back, & pockets for front & back. I have all the other ends to weave in:P .

You'll notice the string of yarn in the handles, the center, that's where I marked the center row so I wouldn't have to count from the beginning each time, I just didn't remove it yet:blush . From either one:blush .

I decided to weave in the ends before I cut the lining so I'm not cutting the yarn ends.

I don't know about fun foam, would that be washable? That's why I'm on the fence about palstic canvas inside. I know I could hand wash it that way. I may not worry because it's going to be a WIP bag anyway.

I doubt I'll use all the pockets, but that's fine. I have them made, so I'll just keep it that way. I may end up using them, so you never know. If not, maybe I'll sew on a button so I can keep them closed when not in use.

Debbi

I just finished this purse, then found this thread!! I made the strap longer for a friend that wanted to use it as a diaper/toddler day bag. She picked the colors and they turned out really pretty. It is made with Sugar 'n' Cream Cotton.

DSC01427.jpg

DSC01423.jpg

Ooops forgot Inside/Lining

DSC01428.jpg

I love everyones bags! They are looking so pretty.

Here is the progress on mine. I have lining & handles to go. It is a large heavy bag! It isn't even easy for the top to stand up because so heavy. It keeps wanting to fall in on itself lol! I may have to go with reinforcing the sides as well as the bottom before lining it.

It was difficult crocheting through 3 layers of the bag too. The pattern called for crocheting through the large pocket, the front (or back), & the gusset to join. This caused a rounding off on the bottom of mine & "drawing down" the already shorter large pocket ( I reduced it to 5 inches since I reduced the bag height). Then also one of my pockets got a little "wonky" lol. It is straight but for some reason doesn't LOOK straight. I guess because the bag needs blocking.

th_CAL2.jpg

The bags are looking so nice!

Crocheting through those layers is going to be tough. I was thinking of sewing the pockets next to the edge, but not on it, so I only crochet through the gusset and the front or back panels. Or maybe like the side pockets, sew them on later...

The bags are looking so nice!

Crocheting through those layers is going to be tough. I was thinking of sewing the pockets next to the edge, but not on it, so I only crochet through the gusset and the front or back panels. Or maybe like the side pockets, sew them on later...

I thought about that too. It really wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.

I just finished this purse, then found this thread!! I made the strap longer for a friend that wanted to use it as a diaper/toddler day bag. She picked the colors and they turned out really pretty. It is made with Sugar 'n' Cream Cotton.

DSC01427.jpg

DSC01423.jpg

Ooops forgot Inside/Lining

DSC01428.jpg

I love the colors. Your friend has a good eye, and you're very good with the hook! Great job!

These are sooooo gorgeous!! I'm very impressed. I should probably upload my pictures. It just means that i have to find them onmy camera and find the cord for my camera!!

Archived