Eight-pocket Tote CAL

barbn77

I frogged my tote I started last night. It was just going to be too big, so instead of 53ch I did 43, and it is a much better size now. I think I might have finished 8 rows so far.

• Replies 876
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just checking in. I have about 8 1/2 rows on the front. Not much progress. Today I hope to at least get the first panel done. We'll see!

I'm hoping to finish mine before Friday since we are going out of town (just one night) & it would make a great bag to take with me. Friday we're hitting a water park so it would be a great pool bag! So I am trying to work on it a lot. I have all the pieces done except for the strap & plan to cut fabric today for the lining plus start sewing pieces together. I chose a dark teal fabric with stars & planets... from my stash. It matches nicely but I'm hoping it doesn't show through when it's in the bag. The crochet is pretty close together so I think it'll be ok.

Mine is smaller than the pattern bag since I only went 10" height & used a G hook. I did keep the chain # but with a smaller hook not as wide. The designer must crochet REALLY tight to get an I hook to make it look solid & sturdy.

I am thinking about the strap. Not sure if I want to crochet it (using an F hook) or find a strap around here to use instead. I'll see what I can find & also look at my yarn. I should have bought a brown or teal cotton to use for the strap. I'm thinking that jute or the variegated is going to cross over it's own colors so I'd prefer a diff color but if I can't find anything here, I'll use one or the other, or sew a fabric strap.

I am hoping to be done tomorrow so we'll see.

Nance, you're doing great. I think many of us got a wacky or slow start lol, trying different yarns or different hooks to find the right match that we wanted. Or just frogging while getting used to the stitch pattern. I completed a whole side before I changed yarns & frogged several rows along the way, like some of you did. But overall I love the bag & the pattern.

That tote is very pretty - Thanks Judy - but I can't imagine trying to crochet Homespun and Chenille T&Q with an H hook. I bet it wouldn't need any lining.

I agree that the H might be hard to handle with that yarn, but it'd be trial and error figuring that out. I tend to crochet tightly, but if I want a bag with no lining, I'll drop down a size from what's recommended to make that happen.

Judy, thank you for sharing the link! I also pasted it on MS word and save it as a file after editing the ads out.

Later, I will email those tote pictures and see what she will say. I will check CPC and see if there are more diaper bags patterns. Thank you again. :manyheart

(Note: I met a pregnant friend who invited me to her baby shower. I offered to make a tote bag as a diaper bag, and she like the idea. I ask for some ideas back in SKY Cal - sorry for any confusion!)

:cheer Evening evreryone. Took a bus trip to Alantic City today and took my crochet on the road with me. I have 10 rows done of the front so far. Since this is the very first tote bag I ever made I am following the pattern closely so I am using an I hook. I do like the color and feel of Lion Brand Cotton but I must say it do remind me so much of sugar and creme cotton yarn and now I realize that I could have used that instead and it would have been cheaper for me. Hey I live and learn something new everyday. LOL :think I am loving the stitches of this pattern and it really do go real fast. Talk to you all later. Hi Judy. :clap

Hi, Cheeria!

Glad it's going well for you. I have to put mine to the side for a while - working on a ghan I promised someone and also SP stuff:)

I like the pattern, though - the little bit I've done has a nice look to it. I did go down a hook size, though.

Hey everyone! Sounds like lots of progress is being made on everybody's totes! :) I found the perfect fabric for my lining today at JoAnn's. I wish I could go back and buy a ton of other things...they are having a huge sale! But this month I'm not supposed to spend anything, if I can help it!

The only thing I forgot to get while I was there was plastic canvas...oops! I guess I'll have to get that before I get too much further. I'm so close to finishing I can feel it! Woohoo!

(Oh yeah, my blog has pics of the lining, if you want to see!)

I thought I posted this morning. Now I see that I didn't. Is it ok if I join? I have been working on this bag for a little bit. It is turning out to be a 3 tone bag (with one color being varigated) and I am only putting 3 pockets. Can I still work with you? I am almost finished! :)

This is what I have so far.

th_P1000097.jpg

I made the bottom alittle wider so a skein of yarn could fit in with other stuff and not get too squished.

Donna, I didn't use as much yarn as it called for. I had two adjustments to mine that I think equals out. I dropped the side pockets because I knew they wouldn't be used and made the bag taller since it's intended as a laptop bag. I also made my straps a bit longer since she's a bigger woman and would want to carry it on her shoulder.

I only used 1 Bernat Handicrafter 12oz skein and 1 Lion Brand cotton skein for mine.

Thanks! I didn't know what to use the varigated yarn for. My kids gave it to me for Mommy's Day. As soon as I saw this bag I couldn't wait to do it. I got the handles done tonight and one is sewed on. I want to make a small pocket for the back. I only have the one on the front sewed in half to make two pockets. It fits my needle case parfectly! Should be done to morrow if I am not too tired from Tae Kwon Do. I hurt my shoulder Mon night and I am hoping to exercise through it and then crochet too. Maybe I'll skip the class....hehe :D

Donna, I didn't use as much yarn as it called for. I had two adjustments to mine that I think equals out. I dropped the side pockets because I knew they wouldn't be used and made the bag taller since it's intended as a laptop bag. I also made my straps a bit longer since she's a bigger woman and would want to carry it on her shoulder.

I only used 1 Bernat Handicrafter 12oz skein and 1 Lion Brand cotton skein for mine.

I didn't do the side ones either...I couldn't imagine what I would put in them anyway!

I got my yarn, it arrived today..... woohoo. :cheer :cheer :yay:cheer

Im so excited and I cant just hide it Im about to crochet the bag and I think I like it.:cheer:yay

Thanks Judy.:hug

ow WOW i am sooo jealous ....i am going to the stitches and craft show tomorrow...maybe they will have some yummy cotton yarn for me

yay!!!!!

i m so excited that you just carnt hide it, your about to start your bag and i no you'll like it !!!

I thought I posted this morning. Now I see that I didn't. Is it ok if I join? I have been working on this bag for a little bit. It is turning out to be a 3 tone bag (with one color being varigated) and I am only putting 3 pockets. Can I still work with you? I am almost finished! :)

This is what I have so far.

th_P1000097.jpg

I made the bottom alittle wider so a skein of yarn could fit in with other stuff and not get too squished.

That's awesome!

Are you going to put plastic canvas inside to stiffen the bag? I'm still on the fence about that - good thing I have lots of time to decide!

I got my yarn, it arrived today..... woohoo. :cheer :cheer :yay:cheer

Im so excited and I cant just hide it Im about to crochet the bag and I think I like it.:cheer:yay

Thanks Judy.:hug

I had a feeling it's show up today!:clap

You're MORE than welcome, my friend! Isn't it nice yarn??

Archived