Van Gogh's Closet

JulieKay

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey There Sheila

Glad to have you with us. It sounds like you have a good idea of how you want yours to look. I have my colors, but I keep shuffling them around to see which way they'd look best when they are mixed for the rows in between .

I'm glad you chose our group for your first CAL. This is the nicest group of ladies you'd ever want to meet and they are always there to help you out , so just holler if you need anything .

Cara- have you used both Boye and Bates hooks ? The Boyes are longer and maybe more flat in the center .

And also have you ever tried those blue rubber- things ( I don't know if they make them for crochet hooks or just pencils, but they are rubber tube-like things that you can slide on to give a little more cushion to the hook .)

I thought maybe those might help .

Julie - The bigger K and N hooks I bought were Boye. I don't like Bates. They always "squeek" and that puts my teeth on edge :lol I'm thinking I might try mimicing Clovers handle with that eraser polymer clay I've seen. I tried that stuff several times to make little sculptures. I'm no sculptor that's for sure :lol But this doesn't have to be pretty, just functional. Think I can handle that.

Think I'll also pick up a Q hook. I wanna use this method to make an afghan for my brother-in-law. Of course, it will be squares since I'm square happy :lol But instead of many small blocks I'm thinking 6 large blocks so the Q might work out well :yes

Hey Cara

Hope you can get the clay stuff to work. I dont know anything about that, but have seen those blue rubber things that go on pencils or maybe crochet hooks. I cant even remember where I saw them in the store .

I'm a little dingy today .

I hope you have more than one brother in law-- you aint gonna make the X one , the one that got all your other afghans I hope . :think:eek:lol

Julie, I read the instructions...again...am I right in thinking that every other color change (where we dropped one thread and picked up another) will result in our crocheting more than one section with BOTH THREADS being the SAME color, whatever that turns out to be in the sequence??

...not sure if I put that correctly...:P

I'm simple:lol ...but sometimes the simplest directions confuse me:think

Thanks hun...:hug

Well I may have to rethink this letting the girls pick the colors. I have done two colors and told my oldest it was her turn to pick (she's 5) She picked orange. Which is fine by itself but so far the blanket is light pink and baby blue. I'm not sure if orange would really go with that :think So I convinced her to think of other colors and we are now at pink, blue and yellow. Not sure where it will go next though. I may not end up with a very pretty blanket though with these two picking the colors though :lol

juddiane

yes the idea is to have some rounds with with BOTH THREADS being the SAME color and some parts will be the combinations of two colors in the end it won`t be clear but magnificent

Yes Judy, it will be two threads of 1st color, then one thread each of 1st and 2nd colors, then two threads of 2nd color, and one thread of 2nd and 3rd colors, two of 3rd color, on and on

1 1

1 2

2 2

2 3

3 3, on and on

Howdy Judy

I just saw your post. It looks alike a couple people have already answered you . Yea, you will actually do like this --

Let's just say color A -- do 7 rounds of color a with 2 strands of A .

Then make 3 rounds ,one strand of A and one of B .

Then make 7 rounds of B -both strands will be color B

Then make 3 rounds with one strand of B and one of C

Then make 7 rounds of C, both strands being the C .

I hope this helps ! If you're still mixed up, holler. I'm not always real great at explaining things .:)

Donna

That is gonna be so cute to see what colors your girls come up with ! It'll be a nice keepsake for them for when they are grown, even if it turns out with really strange color sequences.

Save it and give it to one of them on their graduation or wedding day. They will treasure it .

You know now you'll have to make each of them their own . :lol

Thanks for the simple explanations, ladies! I know the possiblitites are endless with this design but so far I'm thinking of working with only 3 different colors...esp if I use what I already have.

On the other hand, there are so many bright colors I'd love to play with...:D I'll be rummaging around my storage containers and cabinets tomorrow to see what I can come up with!

I can be so indecisive...I have to decide WHAT pattern to make, and for WHO...if I do something for Project Linus the great tip I read on page one about using baby weight yarn so a baby ghan won't be too heavy was terrific.:yes

I'll be baaaaaack....:hook

I started a project for this but the colour change is just too stark. I will keep going and see what happens when it is just mauve but there is no blending to speak of at this point. The difference is just too great. The purple is a very intense plum and the mauve is nice but they are just not willing to work and play well with others.

Here is how the colours look when you don't try to blend. (This is not a foto friday show of progress)

thS3600021.jpg

I need something between the dark intense plum and the mauve. The mauve to white should go well but I have a straight line happening right now.

Welcome Brenda !!!

Judy- yea, just keep digging through your yarn. I have spent all day doing the same. I thought I had the colors I liked, but have dug through my closet to see what other combos I have that would look good. This one will be a challenge, coming up with colors and pattern to match .

Darski - keep working with it and see what you can do. Maybe you could find another color or 2 to add to the ones you have that you'd like .

I still didn't get to go through my stash. GRRRR!!!!!! The kiddos had a pay back snow day today so they've been home all day. :angry At some point and time i'll get there.

Julie, I count on you changing your mind a hundred times so that you'll still be here with me. :devil

I got my last square done for the bedspread I just have to join them and do a border. I made a few 3 color squares from the same colors for something for me later and to use up a little more of the yarn I had left over. Now I'm going to start on the green squares.

Well I may have to rethink this letting the girls pick the colors. I have done two colors and told my oldest it was her turn to pick (she's 5) She picked orange. Which is fine by itself but so far the blanket is light pink and baby blue. I'm not sure if orange would really go with that :think So I convinced her to think of other colors and we are now at pink, blue and yellow. Not sure where it will go next though. I may not end up with a very pretty blanket though with these two picking the colors though :lol

If you add a light green in there you could go from blue to green to yellow to pink then maybe back to yellow to green to blue then back again and I think it will mesh and blend better. I was going to use baby blue, light green, light yellow, and white for my friend's baby if it is a boy. I hope that helps:yarn

Tabby- you about guessed it right there-- I keep flipping the colors around trying to come up with an order I like . I woke up this morning with a new game plan, so may flip them some more to see how this latest brainstorm works. My Brainstorms get pretty HAREBRAINED sometimes .

Heather - great news that you are almost done with your first project and on to the next ! Cannot wait for Friday this week !

ok the van gogh in me has stalled.

I dont like the yarn I bought. It was 100% cotton and was very nice but not nice to crochet with and I dont think the pink,light green,medium green and purple suit together.

Im frantically going through my stash trying to find something but I just dont know what to use. Should we be using shades of the same color. I think I have a heap of different pinks.

Help!!:eek

HeeHee, another one bites the dust. :lol

Thanks Wendy, now I don't feel like such a slow poke. As long as you two keep changing your minds i'll feel better. You ladies are such great friends. :manyheart I STILL haven't begun to look through my stash for colors & i'm not sure how the blending thing goes either. I guess it's just one of those things that only trial & error will show. :yes You could make it easy & steal ummm.....borrow someone else's color ideas, this way the thinking is done for ya. :devil:lol

Im frantically going through my stash trying to find something but I just dont know what to use. Should we be using shades of the same color. I think I have a heap of different pinks.

If you are struggling with the colors, as a suggestion, you might want to I think along the lines of the Painted Doilies for inspiration. You can go for the ROY G. BIV effect or you can do gradual color shadings if you have different shades of the same color.

Archived