Van Gogh's Closet

JulieKay

Thanks Kimberley. I didnt know there was such a thing as painted doilies.

I will have to look into that for some ideas. By the way in that picture are they actually using sewing thread. What size hook would you use for that.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tabby

You ornery thing, you . Me and Wendy are in color meltdowns and you are laughing your buns off . Come on, Wendy, let's get something decided today so we can laugh at Tab then --

I believe I am about at the point of a decision . I kinda like my new idea that slammed me in the head today when I woke up. As far as how it'll look in person, I don't know, but in my brain, it's lookin good .

Wendy- I think maybe if you have lots of shades of pinks, you could go with that -- start with the lightest and radiate out with the darker ones .

Let us know what you decide .

Julie arent you using the yarn you bought either. Fancy that. Just goes to show that rushing out to buy yarn isnt always the best thing.

I still want to go with making a tote. I have different pinks which I might do that.

I was up till midnight last night trying to find colors to use when I should have been in bed. Now today at work I was yawning my head off. As Im learning a new job the lady teaching me probably thought I was bored. How could I tell her that I was awake till all hours trying to find colors for my van goghs closet project.:rofl

Thanks for the welcome Aussie & Julie_Kay. :)

I just checked my mail and there was a flyer for a 2 day sale over at the local AC Moore. How about the timing on that sale?! :yay

Okay, I started a giant granny that I think will fit in nicely with this. I'm doing it double stranded with an N hook. I've never done double strand before, but it's a lot easier than I thought it would be.

The way I'm doing it, I think is going to have a nice effect (except I realized last night I am going to have to buy more yarn to complete it):

I'm using TLC Water Lily as the primary color. First, I did several round with the Water Lily and Caron One Pounder Cream. Then I started on several rounds of 2 strands of Water Lily (which is where I left off last night).

I next plan to do several round with one strand Water Lily and one strand TLC Robin's Egg, and end up with 2 strands of Robin's Egg.

So far I really like the effect, and I think it's going to be gorgeous when I finish it up (not to mention really warm, so I'll be sending this to Project Linus in Greensboro, NC, since it gets really cold up there in the winters).

Thanks Kimberley. I didnt know there was such a thing as painted doilies.

I will have to look into that for some ideas. By the way in that picture are they actually using sewing thread. What size hook would you use for that.

The painted doilies is actually a technique that you can use with any doily pattern that has repeats. You can use sewing thread or you can use just one thread of embroidery floss. The color effect comes in because you crochet with three strings held together and do the changes a little bit more slowly. AAA AAB ABB BBB etc etc

The hook that you use is a normal hook size if I remember correctly - the multiple strands increase the size

HeeHee, yep Julie. :lol I couldn't help myself. :lol

Kimberly~I have wanted that book for sooo long. I forgot all about using that for inspiration. Thanks for the reminder. ;)

Renee~Your ghan sounds beautiful, love your color choices. :cheer

Oh, the painted doilies look so lovely! I am going to Michael's for some color inspirations. Wish me luck. :clap

It is 86 degrees at the moment and It's just 11 am! Today, it should be 96 degrees. :sweat

I don't think I will do the rugs. Too hot to crochet with bulky yarns. I will think of something! :hook

Well, I don't know when I'm going to get around to doing this but I will definitely be doing one for a friend who's having a baby in September. If this is still going on I will join in! I'll have to start buying a skein every week. I think I'll use fingering weight so it will be light enough for the baby. I was thinking of doing a round ripple, does anyone know of a free pattern for one?

I came out from under my stash and am starting a round ripple (for Project Linus) using Bernat's Baby Softee Yellow, their baby green, as well as their variegated that has at least 2 of those colors in it. Oh, and white, too. The 2 strands are working great with the N hook...I hope the varigated works, colorwise...if I'm curiously silent on Friday you'll know the reason why!

I came out from under my stash and am starting a round ripple (for Project Linus) using Bernat's Baby Softee Yellow, their baby green, as well as their variegated that has at least 2 of those colors in it. Oh, and white, too. The 2 strands are working great with the N hook...I hope the varigated works, colorwise...if I'm curiously silent on Friday you'll know the reason why!
Sounds pretty! Can not wait to see how the colors work out together!

Sounds pretty! Can not wait to see how the colors work out together!

I can't wait, either!!:D Thanks:manyheart

I've got the rectangle granny going in purples. I'm not sure I love it, but it will definately be purple! Perfect for my lapghan project, since purple is the color the brain trauma recovery group chose to use.

I 'might' use this technique with the rose, lilac and cream pounders I got the other day, unless I get brave enough to do them in 63 squares...I HATE joining squares.

I 'might' use this technique with the rose, lilac and cream pounders I got the other day, unless I get brave enough to do them in 63 squares...I HATE joining squares.

Kathy, it's really relaxing, joining squares...trust me :spin :spin :spin ...trust me:devil

Truthfully, when I start joining squares (and Kathy, I still "owe" you some ghans for Hartwyck - be done over the summer for sure) I become like a woman possessed - wanting to see the design unfold!

I NEVER used to be like that - hated that part of crocheting...till I became involved in the ville:manyheart

I don't mind joining squares too much some join faster than others. The TAW was a nightmare to join because they were in a sawtooth form and not straight across. I'm about done with my 3rd square in greens then I can join them into a row.

Oh gosh, I did it! :yay It took me 3 hours total to do it. I use hook K as it's the biggest size I have around here. It fits perfect on the floor between shower stall and bathroom sink. I don't even measure it! :c9

Here is the bathroom rug made with Peaches n' Creme WW cotton. I use two varigated colors, two balls each - Sea Mist #201 and Daisy Ombre #165 from Peaches n Creme's site: http://www.elmore-pisgah.com/store-pc.htm

th_IMG_0640.jpg Scraps from bathroom rug project.

th_IMG_0639.jpg There are some flaws but I love the "sun" effects!

How I did it:

2 strands of Daisy Ombre -5 rounds

1 strand each of Sea Mist and Daisy Ombre - 3 rounds

2 strands of Sea Mist - 2 rounds (hard to see it)

1 strand each of Sea Mist and Daisy Ombre - 1 round

Edging: 2 strands of Daisy Ombre - reverse sc all around

I just measured it. It is 16" from one side to another.

I showed the photo to a friend. He said, "Is a bit van gogh, somewhere between "sunflowers" and "starry night"" (His exact words) :c9

good morning

do you know ladeis when you have a day and everything goes wrong?? it`m morphem`s day or something

it`s mine today i waked up at 20min`s to 8 thought that my class is at 8 and hurried up to reach the place at 8:10 am then i remembred that the class started at 9

my father was waiting for me to check if the professor was there i told him to go home then i waited and it was tooooooooo hot

when it became 8:55 am one class mate arrive and said that the professor has cancled the class

i called my father and came back home

i`ve could ignore the class and complete sleeping it`s my week end but i insisted to be hardworker student t show everyone that marriege didn`t effect my studying in nigative way :lol and see what i`ve got

Ohhh, I have those days at school too. I am happy that you focus on what's important for youself even if you are newly married. Do you make anything for Van Gogh CAL?

Archived