Van Gogh's Closet

JulieKay

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Kimberly- would you think your boyfriend would ever want to come over here to live ? And how do you like it over there, other than the lack of yarn ? What does it look like there ?

Pardon me for asking so many questions, but this is from a Hick who has only lived in one hick town in Ohio for my whole life. I am really curious about new places when someone is from someplace exotic-sounding .

To me, even Cleveland sounds exotic . :lol

Trust me, I know ALL about hick towns - where I went to high school at in Michigan, there was exactly one stop light and one blinking light in the whole town. My whole family thought I was nuts when I went "out of state" for college, even crazier when I moved to *gasp* Chicago ("oh the gangsters and problems they have there...you'll be killed or even worse") and certifiably insane when I mentioned moving to Europe to a place where they *gasp* don't speak english.....oh the heathens! :lol lol

I've found Europe to be very much like the US aside from the language and the age of things that you find. In Belgium we have rolling farmland, forests etc - I often see places here that remind me so much of home. I think that I have some photos in my photobucket account - I'll take a look when I'm at home tonight and see if I can share some pictures :)

Yarn lackage aside, I do indeed love it over here. I am often torn between staying here and moving back to be closer to the family. I struggle at times with the language, and I now have total empathy for those who move to the US who can not speak English at all or that well yet. I had basic high-school French when I moved here, and while its improved, I am far from fluent.

And to answer your last (err first) question, yes the BF would like to move to America. He's originally from Kosovo, so there is no opportunities for him back there. Shall he be moving back with me? I don't know at this stage.....I still have in the back of my head the "all he wants is a green card" thoughts which I faced with a prior bf over here.

No problems on the questions - I know how it is to want to learn about different places and peoples different experiences

Kimberly

Thanks for the answers -- I know what you mean about little town. we now have 2 red lights and one on blink, unless it's school hours, so our town may be a little bigger than the one you are from.

I had to laugh when you mentioned your family's comments about you moving away.

My mom tells me every day that I'm going to be found dead in a ditch with my throat slit for going to Walmart the next town over at 5 AM every morning . The town it's in is about 5 miles away and maybe 15,000 people ? I don't know, anyhow, it's far from a metropolis and the biggest crime they have over there is probably someone jaywalking .

I'd hate to hear their comments if we ever wanted to move to even a bigger town . :lol

Ok Julie, dang woman you ahve gotta stop this, DH has no understanding of lots of wips. I am however going to check my stach I think I have some really pretty cotton that would work for this. I may wait till I have mady a little more progress on my quilt-ghan before starting though.

UH OH Gram

I hope Tabby doesn't see your post -- she'll be jumping on the bandwagon this morning too ! :lol

Just a little piece of advice regarding hubby : What he doesn't know won't hurt him . Just sneak out and get you some yarn, stuff it someplace where he doesn't usually dig around in, then pull it out a little at a time.

If he is alert enough to notice you are using a different color or making something different, use a good line with him ... like this :

Oh this ? I started this awhile back and just dug it back out to work on it again..... or something like that .

My husband doesn't pay the least attention to what I am making ,so I could start something new every 10 minutes ( which I have been known to do sometimes ) :lol , and he'd never even notice.

He usually is busy with his own hobbies and doesn't care what I'm doing as long as I'm not JAWING his ear off .:D

ok i'm soooo in on this, just not right away. i'm currently working on completing this http://grandysdaughter.blogspot.com/2007/02/shield-of-honor-version-2.html as a pillowghan for a dear friend of mine, then i'll be making http://crochetgarden.com/babyblooms/seasidefairy.html for my daughter. maybe i can do the dress and this cal at the same time.....now what colors to use.......:think

I'm in! I just got all the yarn I needed (and then some) for a round ripple for my youngest daughter's new little brother (on her birth parents' side) and I'm going to use this technique!

I'm not sure how it will work out as I'm using "safari" colors (light and dark brown, light and dark orange, a neutral color and orange) but we shall see!!

Where do we post the pics each Friday?

actually Julie, he really doesn't care as long as once in a while I atually finish something.:P I think I may already have the yarn I need for this at the house, (thanks Mom cause she lets me raid her yarn store size stash sometimes) I just really want to get some more done on the quilt before I start.

Hey though I just had a thought, I saw another cal for a tank top and the pattern I am looking at is done in the round, I'll bet it would be gorgeous done with this color blending technique. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm:think

Hey though I just had a thought, I saw another cal for a tank top and the pattern I am looking at is done in the round, I'll bet it would be gorgeous done with this color blending technique. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm:think

Great Idea Crochet Gram. With this technique you can use it to make anything you like. It will be interesting to see all the colors and patterns.

Sher- Jump right on in whenever you get a few other things finished up. We'll be here for awhile since this is such a new CAL, so whenever you get ready, we're here . Those projects you are doing are very nice. I love the patterns on that site for the little toddler dresses. All my grandkids are too big for those now ,but they are precious ! You could try doing this tecnique with the dress, or another wearable item , if you are better at figuring out how to change a pattern to fit your little girl . The only problem with this is that you'll need double strands of yarn throughout and a larger hook for them, so the dress may turn out to be a lot bigger and thicker than it was intended . I know I am not good at changing a pattern to accomodate things like that, but there are lots of talented people on here that could do it in the blink of an eye .

It'd certainly look pretty done like this if you can figure out the measurements. :)

Ooops, forgot to post about the photos, but Wendy already answered , so thanks Wendy !

Gram- well, as long as you join in on these CAL's , we kinda have a way of "egging" each other on so we stay on task . There have been times where we've hauled out the old ball bat, but never yet had to use it on anyone. I've even had it swung at me a few times here lately for getting in over my head with too many things . You quickly learn to be devoted to your CAL if that happens very often ! :lol

I'll mention the same thing to you as I did to Sher- if you can figure out how to re-vamp the pattern so that it will be the right fit using double yarn and bigger hooks, then go for it ! A lot of you are much better at that than I would be .

Clocke- Welcome ! We're glad you want to sign up. It's ok if it's slow going. Most all of us have multiple things going , so we may all be a little slow in here, although mine has gone real fast so far. Using a big hook and double strands, it's actually a pretty quick project .

hello ladeis

nice to see new followers in this place :clap

i added 2 more rows to my RR and planning to complete the row 20 today so i can reach half way ;)

Hi Athba

I was gonna go with a straight ripple since I am already making a round ripple, but thought with this color combo, it might look better as a round .

So, I now have 2 round ripples going -- one is pretty far along , the other is my newest one with the double yarn and bigger hook.

i`m thinking of straight ripple for mom from the book 200ripple sts but i`m not sure if i`m gonna make it in this method :think

for who you are making both of them??

julie i have a curios question

how many projects you have finished in crocheting?? did you finish any afghan from this forum or befor knowing it? :lol

Hmmm....:think Since the only hooks I can use are the Clover Soft Touch and to the best of my knowledge the biggest size they come in is "J" I'm gonna have to do my project in sport weight yarn :lol I did a swatch with white, gray and black that I like alright but wow that was hard on the hands :lol Oh well, poor me I'll just have to buy more yarn :hook:devil

Athba- yes, I have finished several projects while in this group. I did the 63 squares , Around the World Quilt, Lace and Bobbles Lapghan , Grandma's flower garden , I did a round ripple for Cam, the Snowflake Afghan,and Giant Granny .

That's all I can remember now. See there ?

I actually DO finish projects. :hook

Cara

I am wondering about some of Jimbo's hooks. Have you taken a look at any of them ? I see he is making some now that have real thick handles on them. Do you think those would work for you, or bother your hands ?

I'm wondering if it's the little rubber grip thing on the Clover hooks or the fact that they are a little thicker in the middle .

Trying to figure out another good idea for you .:think

Do you have any of the huge hooks at home, like the N or P or Q ?

Since they are so thick, I wondered if you had tried them and if they bother your hands ?

It does seem a little harder on my hands the bigger hook I use ,that's why I was wondering . I guess everyone's hands are different though .

I think what the secret to using the Clovers is that the handle is flat. I've got a really funky kinda modified pencil grip going on these days :lol But it's comfortable and that's all that matters. I have some bigger hooks that I bought thinking I could use them but alas, the flat area isn't large enough :no

Ok ladies, I have 4 butterflies to finish on my daughter's quilt and then I'm in. I bought the yarn this morning and I figure by the end of the week I can start!

This will be my 1st CAL, I've been crocheting awhile but am new to the 'ville. I am going to be making the granny star afghan for my 4 year old son. He chose the colors this morning. I bought the caron ss and we'll start with white in the center moving out to yellow, orange, red, and maybe even purple depending on the size at that point.

I wanted to make him the 6 point star aghan that I've seen pictures of here, but they'be been going on ebay for over $20.00 and I just can't justify that much on one single pattern! I'll keep watching and hoping one goes reasonably.

I'm really looking forward to this! :cheer

Sheila

Archived