Van Gogh's Closet

JulieKay

Wow, what a great idea! Wish I could join but I'm up to my eyeballs trying to finish my niece's bedspread for her wedding! I'm only 1/2 way done and I've got til the end of June to have it finished! Can't wait to see everyone's pictures though!!!!!!!!

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is so Not Fair of you Julie Kay. I have been so good to avoid all the tempting CAL titles and now you have to start with this Artist Series. (We all know there will be others right? :yes:yes:yes )

I will be good and not promise to start this but ... get thee behind me :devil.

I guess it wouldn't hurt to just :lurk on Fridays when pics are posted.

If I had the yarn... Don't go there Dar :wlol

G'day Darski, long time no type... hehe:lol

Im glad your going to join us on this one, with your artistic flair Im sure you will be able to come up with something great.... You are joining us arent you.:yes

Donna(SewnSew) your colors sound really good. I cant wait to see it.

Donnaalynn, wow sounds like your very busy with the bedspread. I hope you can finish it in time. Im sure your niece will love it.

Tabby havent you got your yarn picked out yet. Whats wrong with you girl.:lol

julie

we are in a fight vication i guess hehehe

i know you have lots of stats 43 or 42 states??? :think

and what pattern you`ve choosed?? i love your colors :)

wendy

what are your colors

hmmmmm coton it`s not warm is it ?? :think

and what pattern you did decide to do???

donna

love your colors i wish you best of luck

darksi

hellooooooooo there miss you:hug

long time without hearing any thing from you

come on you should join i`m useing all those of balls that i`ve always planned to make something with them but hopless me it kept new with long lost of undone plans looool :lol

Whew! I'm not on the computer for nearly 2 days and look what's happened!:eek

This should be fun, Julie. I love the 12 inch squares, so I'm leaning toward that - or the baby round ripple, using some of my baby yarn with a big hook. I'll have to check my stash and see what colors I want to move...

There are times when I can't work on the charted baby ghan pattern because I do have to pay attention...so something like this sounds easy.

Great work organizing this, Julie! Thanks for being so imaginative and for working so hard.:hug

Judy hi there. Glad to see your joining us.

Athba hello, Yes Im using cotton, not sure why just liked the colors. I started with light green then a darker green, then pink then purple. I am leaning towards a tote bag so just need 2 large granny squares and some handles, I think. I dont actually have a pattern for it just going to wing it.

Well sadly I have to leave my crochet here and go to work.

Have a great day everyone.

Oh how I wished I lived back in the US where I can afford yarn for afghans! Here in Belgium the price is so high (3-4 dollars for a 50 gram ball....RHSS is 225 grams!!)

I find it funny when I visit the US that I love to go to JoAnns, Hobby Lobby, Walmart etc just to stare and drool at the acrylics! I skip all of the fancy yarn stores.....thats all I have here practically.

I will enjoy seeing what everyone is making though....and dreaming of the yarn stores back in the US!

Thanks, Wendy - it's great having so many familiar "faces" here!:c9

I also have some purple and greens...but I won't be able to give that one away, since I love the colors so much! It may have to be a baby ghan using the baby yarn...for the first one, anyway:lol ...

Oh how I wished I lived back in the US where I can afford yarn for afghans! Here in Belgium the price is so high (3-4 dollars for a 50 gram ball....RHSS is 225 grams!!)

I find it funny when I visit the US that I love to go to JoAnns, Hobby Lobby, Walmart etc just to stare and drool at the acrylics! I skip all of the fancy yarn stores.....thats all I have here practically.

I will enjoy seeing what everyone is making though....and dreaming of the yarn stores back in the US!

Kimberly - what about orderign yarn form Amazon or some place like that? Would that be less expensive? Or have a friend in the States buy you some and mail it. Even paying the postage it must still work out better.

Just a thought...I hate to think of someone going through yarn withdrawal!:hug

Kimberly - what about orderign yarn form Amazon or some place like that? Would that be less expensive? Or have a friend in the States buy you some and mail it. Even paying the postage it must still work out better.

Just a thought...I hate to think of someone going through yarn withdrawal!:hug

I do occasionally have emergency shipments sent. And I usually go back every 3-4 months to visit the family - I'm orig from Michigan. This time is an exception as my last trip was in December and my next trip is in July. Hopefully I'll have the luggage room to bring more of my US stash back with me so I can start on this afghan.

I'd love to do the ripple afghan in the Bernat Baby Coordinates, but the only color I have here right now is pink...defeats the purpose of the CAL if I only use one color *grin* So I'll sit back and wait, but this is going onto my up-coming project list!

Hey, Kimberly - does anyone you will visit have one of those "space bag" thingies, so you can suck out the air from the bags before you pack the yarn to fly back to Belgium?:yes

Hey, Kimberly - does anyone you will visit have one of those "space bag" thingies, so you can suck out the air from the bags before you pack the yarn to fly back to Belgium?:yes
Trust me, my bags are so vacummed pack and crammed full that I always run the risk of being overweight! I usually have it within a few ounces with the occasional "oh crap" :eek as I start tearing the bags apart to find the "heavy item" to take out and either carry on or leave with the family until my next visit!

What makes it all worse is that I arrive in the US usually with one suitcase packed inside of another, and I leave with the maximum possible....not saying that I like to :shop or anything :blush :blush :blush

wow , lots of posts on here since I last checked in today !

Just about too many to answer everyone, but I will try my best .

Tab- maybe you should just use the fullest yarn tote for your chair and sit on it all the time to hold it down .

Donnalynn- good to see you drop in, long time no see !

Donna (sew) - your colors sound pretty so far -- this is gonna be neat to see photos on these !

Athba- we have 50 states-- here's a neat website to learn more about them if you are interested -

http://www.theus50.com/

Judy-thanks ! We'll be glad to include you, no matter what pattern you choose. I'd miss all my pals from our other group if they didnt all come on over here to hang out too !

Wendy- your tote sounds like a great idea !

Kimberly -- will you be living over there the rest of your life, or is it just for awhile due to a job or something ? It must seem strange to live in a place where it's so hard to find plain old RedHeart yarn . I bet you'd like to load up a whole plane full to bring home with you on your visits over here .

You all have a good night. It's about time for me to hit the sack. I go to bed early and wake up with the chickens . :)

Welcome in Tracie !

Pull up a chair and join in for some crochet and gabbing. I don't know which one the rest of you do best, but I think I'd win a blue ribbon for GABBING . :lol

We always welcome new faces !

I've got my :yarn ! I had to fortify my scraps a bit when I hit the sale at A. C. Moore tonight. For a variation on the idea I'm using one strand varigated with one strand of solid. The varigates are RH Plum Pudding, Sage Mary, and Blueberry Pie, all of which have either Dark Orchid, Medium Purple or Orchid in them, so those are my solids. I think a plain granny or rectangle granny will be best so I'll start tonight or tomorrow on my long trip in the car. :yay

I surfed the web and found this pattern:

http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/jen-petrugs.html

If two squares are joined, it will be a good kitchen or bathroom rug.

I plan to add much more rows to make a square rug (only one square), up to 4-6". If this is a quick project, I would make more rugs! This place really need more rugs to liven things up, beige carpet, black and white tiles, and all white walls everywhere. :yuck

I just bought some mauve and dark purple for a project (doll sized) but I am wondering if you can use such a strong contrast for this technique? :yes / :no

We can make anything right?

Kimberly -- will you be living over there the rest of your life, or is it just for awhile due to a job or something ? It must seem strange to live in a place where it's so hard to find plain old RedHeart yarn . I bet you'd like to load up a whole plane full to bring home with you on your visits over here .
JulieKay....good question on the rest of my life! I moved over here for just ONE year and its now been over FOUR! I moved over for my job, and while I've switched that job about 5 times now I can not see myself leaving here anytime soon (nor do I think the BF would let me :lol )

As for chartering a plane.....if it could be done without making me go broke I would probably do it! There are so many awesome yarns - colors and fibers - available in the US that we will never see here....and to make it ironic, many of them are actually made in Europe! I zealously hoard my SnC and yes, my RHSS for those "perfect" projects...which are usually small so that they don't utilize my entire stash in one go.

Darski - As I understand it, yes we can make anything as long as we use this technique of color blending. I assume, you plan to do two strands of purple for few rows, one purple and one mauve for more rows and then two of mauve, on and on, for this doll project?

As Julie said, we are the artists! I think you are fine with color choices. :yes

Diane, thanks for the link for the pet rugs!! Wonderful possibilities with that pattern...:hook

Darski the colors you have there will be great for this project.

Thimble welcome to this cal.

Diane your pet rug pattern is a great idea.

Kathy your colors sound great.

I cant wait to see what everyone is doing.

Kathy

Those colors sound really neat together ! This is really gonna be a fun area on Photo Fridays especially, to see what all you guys come up with for colors and patterns !

Diane- yep, those pet rugs are right up this alley, with the colors blended like that. Go for it ! I can't wait to see what you come up with .

Darski - yep, the sky is the limit in here- you can make whatever you want and colors you want --- make us a surprise !

Kimberly- would you think your boyfriend would ever want to come over here to live ? And how do you like it over there, other than the lack of yarn ? What does it look like there ?

Pardon me for asking so many questions, but this is from a Hick who has only lived in one hick town in Ohio for my whole life. I am really curious about new places when someone is from someplace exotic-sounding .

To me, even Cleveland sounds exotic . :lol

Thimble- welcome aboard ! We are so glad to welcome new people and we have a lot of our old favorites in here, so it's a great blend.... just like our yarn colors will be .

Archived