• Overhanded (like a handle)
    • Underhanded (like a pencil)
    • Both or Other (explain? :) )

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I hold mine overhanded but not in any way that I have ever seen before. And I hold the hook and the yarn in the same hand. I have tried to hold the yarn in the other hand and hold my hook differently, but it is just so awkward for me.

I hold mine overhanded but not in any way that I have ever seen before. And I hold the hook and the yarn in the same hand. I have tried to hold the yarn in the other hand and hold my hook differently, but it is just so awkward for me.

I would love to know how to hold the yarn and hook in the same hand.:hug

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was actually taught overhanded... but I s

wtched to holding it like a pencil about 15 years ago... it's more comfortable for me

• 1 month later...

I think I hold it like the knife way but I hold it in the palm of my hand. Its the way I taught myself to crochet. Did'nt even realise until I saw this thread that there are different ways to do it!

I started out by crocheting like knitting by looping the yarn over with my left hand...until I taught myself to control my hands more and be able to wrap the yarn over my left hand fingers

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I hold mine like I'm brushing my teeth, which is kinda overhanded I guess. I also hold it like I would hold a bow when playing the violin. I hold it with my finger tips, then manipulate it with my thumb (pushing the hook up and down).

I didn't think I held it funny until a coworker of mine commented on it the other day when we were both crocheting at the same table before our shifts. Personally, I thought SHE was the one who was holding it funny!

I don't know who taught me or if was just the way I picked it up years back.

I hold my hook like a handle, very loosely holding the hook againt my hand with my pinky and I just realized that I mostly hold the hook there and move my yarn and project around the hook.

I'm REALLY left handed and the only person in my friends and family to do any sort of fiber arts, so I pretty much learned how to crochet by reading HALF the stitch instructions starting with what to do with the hook once it's in the loops. (the left handed instructions confused the Holy Hannah out of me too.)

• 3 weeks later...

I can't imagine holding it overhand! It seems like it would use so many more muscles and joints and be way more work. I hold it like a pencil and usually only move my fingers to manipulate the hook but use my wrist too. No elbows involved.

I wrap the yarn "continental" style: on my left hand, the yarn goes behind my pinky, in front of my ring and middle fingers and behind my index finger. I hold my work with both my hands between my finger tips and my palms.

I can't imagine holding it overhand! It seems like it would use so many more muscles and joints and be way more work. I hold it like a pencil and usually only move my fingers to manipulate the hook but use my wrist too. No elbows involved.

It seems that you imagine a lot of arm movement just because people hold the hook overhand. But it depends on the person how much they move their arm/wrist/fingers, not on the way someone holds the hook. ;)

I for myself don't move my arm much, but mostly flick my wrist. When trying to hold the hook like a pencil I make the same movements with my wrist, but feel like my grip is a bit insecure and it's harder for me to grab the yarn with my hook.

Archived