793 members have voted

1. 1. How do you hold YOUR hook?

• Overhanded (like a handle)
    • Underhanded (like a pencil)
    • Both or Other (explain? :) )

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once upon a time I voted on here for overhand... but lately I've been changing the way I hold the hook to more pencil or some weird combination of the two. It depends on how my wrist is feeling since I've noticed some twinging pain periodically when working on different projects. My husband recently had surgery for carpel tunnel syndrome and all I could think when my wrist was acting up is "It's gonna suck if I can't use that hand/wrist to crochet!" so I've been experimenting with how I hold the hook and how tightly I hold onto the yarn and project. Seems to be helping thus far.

Underhanded.

When I grew up not only everyone held the hook that way but I saw it in old movies, (we have to admit it looks sort of "dainty" and in the past women were taught to be very lady-like in every way), and when I learned from a book in the '70s that's how it was in the illustrations, also the way I learned to hold the yarn in my left hand, I rest it on the index finger, winded under the middle finger, over the ring finger and wrapped around the pinky for "tension control". I'm pretty sure overhanded was the alternate way adopted by people who couldn't hold the hook the "traditional" way and over time they taught others and it became more popular, especially with the video tutorials available in the internet, if you'll notice the majority of us "underhanders" are older than most overhanders. Also, people who learned how to knit first tend to hold their hook and yarn differently too.

I used to think underhanded was the "right" way but now that I'm used to seeing several different ways I say whatever works is right!

All this time I thought I was the freakie one holding my hook overhand! Most people I see hold it like a pencil including my nonna who taught me! I could never do it that way.

K

• 1 month later...

I was taught to hold my hook like a pencil but it was very awkward feeling for me and my stitches were WAY too tight. Holding it overhand feels much more natural and I'm able to keep my stitches more even.

• 3 weeks later...

I always held my hook like a handle and others thought it was weird. I'm able to create whatever I want, so I guess the way I hold it really doesn't matter. I tried to hold it the "right" way, but it felt too awkward and slowed me down. I got frustrated and started holding it in a way that was comfortable for me... that's all that matters anyway :hook

I hold my hook like a shiv :D

The bottom of the hook is in the palm of my hand - I now only use Susan Bates bamboo handled hooks since they are easier on my palm.

I can not hold it like a pencil no matter how I try. I have also read that I hold my hook for speed - which I can guess is true at least for me.

I have tried to change to the pencil technique but it's like I might as well be spinning cotton candy. Just isn't going to happen no matter how much I try. I'm happy with the way I hold it so it's all good for me.

• 3 weeks later...

I learned to hold it like a pencil, like my mom did. But someone showed me the overhanded method and I've been doing that ever since. I can crochet much faster doing it the overhanded way.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I hold my hook underhand, I didn't realise that there was any other way of holding it :blush

I don't hold my yarn properly either but I've tried the way it shows you to hold it in tutorials and it really doesn't feel comfortable and I get cramp in my hands almost straight away. Trust me to be awkward ! ;)

I hold my hook overhand, like a handle. I recall, my dear late MIL, years ago, a life-time knitter but brand new to crocheting, laughing at how I managed my hook, despite my having, at that time, some 30 years of experience with it (the dear was 'underhanded' lol). I'd quietly sigh as she'd turn to me for instructional help while chuckling at my mode of operandi. lol Silly, I know, it's the finished product that matters anyhow, and, of course, that we enjoy doing what we do no matter how we do it. :D

So, count me, a right-hander, overhanded with my hook and rolling it through each stitch, too boot; with my yarn tensioned in my left hand, under folded pinky & ring finger, up and over my jutting index finger...

I recently caught a PBS episode of 'Knit and Crochet Today' and secretly envied how the crocheter's working hands were so relatively low-profile and much less action-packed...and then I chuckled at myself and started speedily hooking my way in a fluid flurry. ;)

I had to look up this up on the internet because I wasn't sure how I held my hook! ANyway it turns out I hold it underhand like a pencil. My Mum taught me and that is the way she does it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Like a scalpel... Because otherwise I would be irritating not only my wrist (wrist problems and constant movement combined equal pain) but my hand as well because for some reason the way I hold a pencil strains my hand.

lol.. I had a brain fart n had to actualy grab my hook n start a few stiches to to fig how i hold it ****!!!

I hold it like a pencil I tryed to hold it other ways n just couldnt get the same tension or work as fast.:hook:crocheting

lol i had a DUH moment..

I sat down to crochet.. and was working along.. working along.. I look at my hand and could slap myself in the head DOH!:oops I do not hold my Hook like a pencil LOL THAT Is how i feel funny LOL i hold it like a handle!!! ****!

im like OMG Ann you Terd... You replyed with pencil.. and your holding it like a handle.. ****!!!!!:crocheting

I was taught the overhand method and could never hold my hook the underhanded way. My MIL used to crochet underhanded and it looked so awkward to me!

Archived