793 members have voted

1. 1. How do you hold YOUR hook?

• Overhanded (like a handle)
    • Underhanded (like a pencil)
    • Both or Other (explain? :) )

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hold my hook overhand as well...though I will never forget going into one of my local craft stores a few years ago for help with a pattern and the lady in the yarn dept. REFUSED to help me because I didn't hold the hook "right", which in her mind is underhand. She actually told me that she doesn't help anyone who doesn't crochet HER way! :O

• 1 month later...

I hold my hook underhanded like a pencil. I guess because it feels natural because hooks "resemble" pencils and pens if you will.I have tried the overhanded method and it just doesn't work out for me.

• 3 weeks later...

I hold mine overhand. When my friend taught me she kept telling me "let the hook do the work" I guess this way feels the most natural to me. i tried the other way once and it turned into a giant mess. :)

• 1 month later...

Because I taught myself to crochet from a book I thought I was the only one in the world that holds my hook overhand. Yeah, I've got lots of company.

i hold mine underhand but i taught myself - so i didn't really think about different ways to hold the hook - i'm also a lefty so that makes trying to teach others quite amusing

• 2 weeks later...

I hold mine overhand. I think this is why tunisian crochet is fairly easy for me. Tried the other way and I was so sloooooow. Glad to see so many others do to. Lots of ladies have said I am wrong.

I learned overhanded, but found I had lots of wrist problems.

A friend suggested to switch to underhanded because he found it more ergonomic.

My wrist pain has decreased, and my work has improved. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I hold my hook overhand, I thought I was doing it "wrong" but apparantly I'm not-of course there is no right or wrong way it's what works for you. I cannot hold it like a pencil, very hard to control what I'm doing.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I guess like a pencil but my index finger rarely touches the hook and I hold my hook about half way up the hook itself. My two middle fingers and thumb are holding my hook.

Interesting question lol .. never really thought of how I held the hook until today hahaha... I have always held it that way.

Archived