793 members have voted

1. 1. How do you hold YOUR hook?

• Overhanded (like a handle)
    • Underhanded (like a pencil)
    • Both or Other (explain? :) )

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i hold mine like a pencil. i was "taught" a way but i don't remember now. i know i dont hold my yarn like i should, i just do what works for me. like i do with everything in my life :)

:lol:

My Mom showed me how to crochet and not only do I hold my yarn weird to her, I also hold my hook weird as well. I hold underhanded. She just shakes her head at me when she sees me crochet.

• 2 weeks later...

I hold the hook both ways. First is depends on the size of the hook and how long and what I am or have been crocheting. Normally, I hold it like a pencil but if I am crocheting something with tight stitching, have been crocheting for a long time and my wrist is starting to ache, or if the hook just feels better to hold it the other way then I hold it like a handle. :hook

Actually , I hold it either way, depends on the hook but I prefer like a handle.

I don't think either way is wrong. My grandmother who was American and my mother who is European both hold it like a handle. I really think it is a personal preference.

My mother taught me to hold it underhand, so that's the one I do most of the time. However, when I'm having trouble getting through a stich (I need to learn to make them looser :lol) I go at them overhand. That way, I find, I get better leverage and I'm at an angle where I can see what I'm doing.

• 4 weeks later...

like a pencil, and I was told by a "seasoned" crocheter that I was holding it wrong, that is why I don't have speed.....I go pretty fast. Any other was feels weird.

Patti C.

• 2 weeks later...

I hold mine like a knife; that's not the way I was taught though! LOL My Gram used to have fits about the way I hold my hook but it's what works for me so I didn't listen to her. LOL

Steph

I hold my hook like a pencil and my yarn I hold between my index finger and the middle finger. Sort of like you would hold a cigarette, and no, I don't smoke. :) I wish I could hold it differently but I've always done it that way since I began crocheting in my 20's, now 60. I don't know if I was taught that way or I just did it. But my fingers don't seem to work any other way.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I thought I was a weirdo, too. I hold my over hand. I don't think I hold my yarn like most people do, though.. I think while some people grab their yarn with their hook to yarn over, I do it manually.. Like, I take my left hand and I wind it over the hook..

• 1 month later...
:crocheting The best I can figure is I hold it overhanded like a handle or a knife. I'm not really sure. The most comfortable (okay, a little on the smart alecky side) answer I have to the question on how I hold my hook is in my hand. Right hand for the hook and left for my yarn. I've looked in "How to Crochet" books and I hold my hook similar to how they show but not exactly. My Mom and oldest sister started teaching me how to crochet in the late 1970's. I guess I hold my hook like they did. I'm not sure and can't ask them as they both have passed away.

I'm really surprised the pencil hold isn't in first place. Many, many, many years ago when I was taught how to crochet, that's how I was taught to hold it. Not sure after ALL these years, I would know any other way :lol

Archived