How Do You Hold YOUR Hook?

How do you hold YOUR hook?  

793 members have voted

1. 1. How do you hold YOUR hook?

• Overhanded (like a handle)
    • Underhanded (like a pencil)
    • Both or Other (explain? :) )

I too am in the minority & hold mine like a pencil. I tried holding it overhanded a few times and it didn't feel right. It took me forever to complete a few stitches and most of them I dropped several times.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I hold mine like a knife (overhanded) and have never felt comfortable holding it like a pencil. I did read somewhere online that they used to teach holding it like a pencil because people thought that it made the lines of a woman's hand look more graceful:think but then they found out that it can make you more prone to arthrightis or something similar. I think my grandma holds it like a pencil.

I hold the yarn "wrong" though. I just hook my index finger over it, but if I'm using a small yarn or thread, it gets sore after a while.

To be honest, I didn't even know there was more than 1 way LOL. My grandmother taught me how to crochet when I was probably 6ish years old and I guess I just didn't give it any other thought!

I hold it underhanded/like a pencil.

Hi everyone! I'm new here and looking around.

I had never known of any other way to hold a crochet hook. Wow, I learned something new. Do all of the beginner crochet books give instructions for overhand or do some show under? Interesting.:yarn

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

My mother and grandmothers tried for years to teach me to crochet - but they held the hooks European style - like a pencil. I couldn't do it that way. I taught myself in college and I hold my hook overhanded.

i learned underhand but i had surgery on my right hand so i had to do it overhand so now i can do it both ways.. im ambi-crochet-stitch-trous lol

I like your bi-crochet-ual method explaination. :lol When my mom taught be she let me decide what was more comfortable for me. She explained that the pencil way was suppose to be the correct way from victorian times, so that the ladies could show off their "dainty" hands and work. I, of course, chose the overhand way as the most comfortable. :devil

My husband learned and uses the pencil way. He said it was more common for beaders to learn crochet that way to incorporate the beads with the wires and control both.

I did learn to use the "pencil" way when working with wire, as the wire is so slippery. But when used in a yarn/thread project, I find that my tension is too loose and making the stiches slows me down.:yarn

I hold the hook overhand, I always thought I was holding it "wrong" Although reading this thread maybe Im in the majority. I often attempt to hold it like a pencil as it just looks so much nicer - more professional?!

I tried holding it like a pencil once and felt like a bumbling idiot.

you just described how I feel when I tried to hold it like a handle.:cheer

Really I never did think about it one way or another until now. This is the second group in the last few days that has asked the question.

I just figured everyone held it the most comfortable for them.

I hold mine like a pencil, which was how my mom taught me and how I saw her crocheting for years. I never knew it was possible to hold it overhanded until a couple of years ago! I tried it but still feel awkward with the overhand method...but I do it sometimes when my tendonitis is kicking in! :)

I hold overhanded. That was the way I was taught in school in 3rd grade, my mom holds it the same way. It does go more in my wrist though, but I just can't crochet holding my hook like a pencil...

• 4 weeks later...

I started off holding my hooks overhanded, but my grandmother picked on me about doing it the old-fashioned way...she'd 81 by the way:eek...so I started holding the hook underhanded and have been since. I guess I was able to switch because I hadn't been crocheting very long (maybe a month) when I changed the way I hold my hook.

I do wonder though how I will be able to hold the larger Q or S hooks. I would think you would have to hold them overhand. I guess I'll figure that out when I try it the first time.

Grandma also picks on me about the way I hold my yarn, but I've never been able to figure out the way she holds hers!:think

In the end, it only matters that you can crochet the way you hold everything!:cheer

• 2 weeks later...

When I knit, I wind around my fingers, but when I crochet, I just hold it between thumb & middle finger, holding my hook like a pencil. Also, I crochet left-handed, but knit right-handed.

Overhand, kinda like I do a knitting needle, except my pointer finger's more extended.

I will occassionally go underhand if I'm having trouble sticking one of my aluminum hooks with the finish worn off through fabric. I haven't crocheted tightly enough to cause that by my lonesome since my first year, and it still haunts me… Some of the cheapo yarns I've worked with haven't helped. Did you know it's possible to cut yourself with acrylic yarn? (And and with spoons, which is another story entirely.)

Archived