How Do You Hold YOUR Hook?

How do you hold YOUR hook?  

793 members have voted

1. 1. How do you hold YOUR hook?

• Overhanded (like a handle)
    • Underhanded (like a pencil)
    • Both or Other (explain? :) )

had to pick up my hook to respond to this HA HA!

i hold mine like a handle...hook in hand near palm with fingers wrapped round and thumb against hook

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
had to pick up my hook to respond to this HA HA!

i hold mine like a handle...hook in hand near palm with fingers wrapped round and thumb against hook

HAHA! I just did the same thing..had to pick up my hook to look! :lol

I too hold like a handle with thumb against the hook.

I used to do over hand, but I changed to pencil hold and I find it more comfortable, except when I have to insert the hook into a chain stitch, which is tricky and then I revert to over hand.

ive tried to do the pencil hold.lost grip on it. it went flying across the room and hit our (then) sleeping kitty. kitty is now an adult 15 pound cat that runs like **** when he sees anything related to crochet!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I hold my hook almost like a knife so I guess that would be considered overhand. To hold the yarn I keep it in between my middle and ring finger - I know that it's not the rule the way I do it but I've been doing it this way for so long any other way messes me up.

• 3 weeks later...

I hold overhand. I tried to hold like a pencil, just to see if I could. No way. I learned how to knit. I understand that the best way to hold the yarn is in the left hand, but I can't. I hold the yarn with the right hand to knit which is slower. If I can crochet with yarn in the left, you would think I could knit with yarn in the left hand.

• 4 weeks later...

ok I hold my hook both ways. Thread is held like a pencil. (always) Yarn is both because my hands get tired and I need to get my projects done. When I was taught to crochet I was taught overhand, than I got brave and started holding the hook like a pencil...

• 3 weeks later...

When my sister taught me how to crochet, I guess she held it overhand too so that's probably where I picked it up from. I was going through a crochet book by Debbie Stoller (if you haven't read it, it's really good :) ) and she had in there the "correct" way to hold it - which was like a pencil. ..I tried it and failed miserably at it ^^; I just feel much more comfortable overhanded. I don't hold the yarn right either. I guess I kinda hold the yarn overhanded too o.O

Overhand, that's how my mom taught me. When I started looking at tutorials on youtube, the ladies were holding it like a pencil so I tried it too...FAIL!!! It just doesn't feel right. :(

It's nice to know I'm not a mutant crocheter!! :hook I've tried the 'pencil hold' as well and there is no way I can do anything that way! Although I've often thought maybe I should try that when my wrist gets sore from too much crocheting to see if it uses enough different muscles that I could keep going. Eh, not. :crocheting <----I think she's holding her hook overhand...

Overhand, that's how my mom taught me. When I started looking at tutorials on youtube, the ladies were holding it like a pencil so I tried it too...FAIL!!! It just doesn't feel right. :(

HA! Same thing here :)

I also hold my hook like I am holding a knife (overhanded). I find it interesting that all my older "how to" books and most of my newer books still advocate the pencil hold when its clear that most of us use what I call the "knife hold" :hook

But, as I have always said, "Whatever gets the job done and makes it enjoyable for you!"

Marie :crocheting

• 3 months later...
:( I hold mine like a pencil...I didn't know there was another way...and I also weave my yarn in my left hand over/under 3 fingers...I've never seen anyone but my mother crochet and it's been 40 yrs or more since I've seen that..so I have no frame of reference as to whats 'right/wrong'...

I hold mine like a pencil. I have read that holding like a knife is less stressful for your hands and wrists, and I tried it that way but it's very awkward and slow for me.

• 1 month later...

I clicked the wrong choice but I hold mine in my hand like I would a knife when cutting something. thats how I was taught and I've tried to hold it like a pencil and I can't control my tension that way.

Archived