What do you do with a doily?

Well, I'm not really sure where to put this topic... but this seemed as good a place as any.

I have never been much of a fan of doilies... but from browsing through the forum I have seen some BEAUTIFUL work done. lol I feel like I should be making them ... it just seems like the thing to do as part of being a crocheter lol

But I was wondering what all people do with them? Are they pretty much just for decorations to lay on tables? Or is there another purpose I don't know about? :scrachin

What to do with them? I have seen them used under pretty vases, just laid on tables, even used as valences on windows!

I am a fan of doilies on tables...like a coffee table or something...just wish I had more free space to put them! (I will admit not everybody likes doilies and that is ok. It is up to you!)

Some people frame them and hang them on the wall.

Most of my doilies are doing what doilies were intended to do. Protecting my furniture. I have them on all my good wood pieces so vases, picture frames, planters, etcetra don't harm my furniture. That's why I like doilies that are flat best. Then I can put what ever I want on them and it is stable. I put nothing heavy or rough on my pieces of furniture unless it's protected with a doily. It's a bonus that they look so beautiful. Better the doily get harmed than an expensive antique. I can alway make another doily. ( besides I love making them )

They are doilies for almost any taste. From very frilly to very streamlined. It's just a matter of finding what you like.

My sister wants one suitable for framing to hang on her wall. I have one decorating my piano cover. And am dreaming of making them for all their traditional purposes: to protect the backs of chairs from hair pomade, to protect chair arms from dirt, etc.

I have them on a 1930's vanity table underneath my favorite perfumes and little statues.

Hope to have more to report soon!

Many of the medium-large size doilies (12"+) I make become draw-string bags for evening, prom, or brides. I tack a piece of satin or silk to the wrong side of the doily (for lining) and weave in a pretty piece of ribbon (or sturdy lace) on one of the outer rows. They usually turn out quite pretty. This is the same method my great-grandmother used to make my grandmother's bridal purse. My Mom has it now but I hope to get it soon. Just use your imagination. The possibilities are endless!

This is what has stopped me from making doiles, even though there are so many beautiful ones. The decor in my apartment is way too modern for doilies to mesh as decoration. I love VictoriaRose's purse/bag idea though. I might have to try that when I get a little more skilled.

Or you can make what used to be called anti-macassers or chair sets. These are usually (but not always) are rectangular & go over the backs & arms of sofas & chairs. They are beautiful , help to keep your upholstery clean & (I think) add a real touch of class. So much prettier than those awful things that come with the furniture & cover only the arms.

Victoriarose - what a fantastic idea! I wish I known of it when DD1 got married. I have soooooo many doilies and antimacasscar sets from my Grandma. What a nice sentimental thing to use in a wedding.

Gosh, I wish I could share a picture. I am saving all of my change ($) for my FIRST digital camera. Almost there :cheer ! Picture it in your mind. Look at a doily (or a pattern), close your eyes, and I.M.A.G.I.N.E.

My husband refuses to even let the word "doily" be spoken in his house! So heaven forbid I ever make one (he said he would burn them!) :rofl He wouldn't really, but he really hates doilies, but mom has them on her table tops. I like everyone elses ideas tho, maybe if I didn't use it as a doily...then hubby would let me make one and not whimper...hmmmmmm:eek :devil

I'm not a huge fan of doilies either, but I did make one for my aunt. She has her log house decorated with all kinds of antiques, and I thought the doily would look cool on one of her old tables or something. She loved it, but said it was way too nice to leave out to get covered w/ dust, so she framed it with a dark colored mat behind it, and it looks beautiful! :c9

~ Krista

I love making doilies. ^_^ The ones I've given my mom are doing their service, protecting tables and such. My current apartment is a little too small to show them off (though I considered putting one on top of my monitor! ;)), so into the drawer they go. :/

• 2 weeks later...

smaller pretty doily patterns I make in kitchen cotton and use as a dish cloth. Great for practicing with and useful. I have one on top of the dvd player so it doesn't get dust too.

I make the doilies out of yarn instead of thread, then give the completed item to my 5 yr old DD...she uses them for dressup clothes...she'll wrap one around her chest, then pull on edge through a space in the pattern on the opposite edge to anchor it, and then she'll walk out into the living room and ask me "Don't you just LOVE my princess dress?" I've also made a few, again using yarn instead of thread, that I gave to a few of my Pagan pals to use as alter cloths....

Jessie

This is a great thread. I've been thinking about making doilies, but wasn't sure what to do with one once finished (other than as a gift). Now I have all these neat suggestions.

When I saw the word "antimacassar" while reading one of the Anne of Green Gables books, I had to look it up because I had never heard it. :blush But once I looked it up, I could immediately conjure up the image of one from the kind of lacy stuff I used to see on furniture.

what do I do with all the doilies I make?

easy - christmas presents for my mom, aunts, older friends, teachers, ..... lol. A beautiful, heirloom pressie for just a couple of dollars!

I usually make them and give them to the older members of my family as gifts. I recently made one for a friend of mine who has been amazing to me over the last couple of months and has gone beyond the end of the world to help my family. Her bedroom is very "Victorian" with lacy things. I decided to frame her doily in a lovely timber frame that only cost $10.00 from a cheap shop and I put a little saying about friendship on it. Here are the before and after photo's. Sorry about the finger prints on the glass, my 2 year old and her 4 year old had been touching with dirty fingers

100_3512.jpg

GaylesDoily480x360.jpg

Archived