what do YOU want?

RebeccaVelasquez

Question

• Answers 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, what a great thread! I'll add my agreement to many others - I would LOVE to see some nice short-sleeve top patterns. I'm not comfortable wearing tank tops any more at my age. I've seen some darling tank & cami patterns out there, but some of us are older than 20 now (grin) and can't wear that sort of thing.

I do love making afghans, scarves, etc -- nobody is belittling those items, I don't think -- BUT there are sooooo many patterns already available for those - let's see some new types of designs that we don't already have 9,873,694 patterns for.

Yarn substitutions would be *wonderful*. I'm on a tight budget & no way I could spend big bucks to make a garment, especially since we very rarely go out - no point in making a $75 top, just to sit around the house in. But I would like to make a few simple basic short-sleeve tops, if I had a nice pattern & could come up with an affordable yet nice yarn to make it in.... So list the fancier high-end yarn for those who want it, but give us some ideas of substitutes that would work well also.

I love making novelty items ....... tissue covers, pot holders, candles, hanging towels, toys, dolls, pin cushions & holiday decorations.

:crocheting

I agree with everyone and would like to tell about a specific thing I have. I bought a simple shell stitch sweater from Kohl's last year and it has a cami under it because its an open pattern and it has become a uniform to me. Everywhere I go people ask if I made itbecause they know I crochet. The reason I bought it was I was going to try and duplicate it but without a pattern and not knowing what weight of thread was used I gave up.

I like to be challenged a little when I making something instead of counting 1,2,3,4,5 turn, 1,2,3,4,5 turn, after a while you just lose interest and want to get it finished so you can move on to the next project so it would be nice to see some new things.

I hope there are some designer's reading this thread and that they take heed and listen to what we would like to see. I refuse to pay a lot of money anymore for a magazine that has maybe one pattern that I would use and the rest just go to waste.

I agree with everyone...more realistic wearables in natural fibers that don't cost a lot of $$$. Seamless would be nice! lacy, girly patterns too.

Mens - not afghans.

See, my husband thinks crochet sweaters on guys looks gay, and most patterns I've seen do (or would on him, he's a scrawny red-headed computer geek).

Anything for that type of mindset, he's a great guy, but not into sports, so typical "guy crochet" doesn't work for him.

Patterns/Ideas there would be wonderful!

I pretty much agree with what everyone else is saying, except I still love Fun Fur, lol. More wearables, particularly sweaters. I like Beth's suggestion about listing substitutes for the suggested yarn. There are a lot of beautiful yarns out there, but I simply can't afford to buy big quantities of them.

I hope you get into CrochetMe, Rebecca! Good luck! :cheer

Hi antara!!

I agree, there needs to be a list of substitutes if we don't want to, or just can get the yarn the pattern suggests. It's frustrating when you like a certain pattern, but can't get the yarn.

Hope You have a Nice Evening!!

Carol

Wow... what a great thread! I would love to see more purse/bag patterns... ones in somewhat unusual shapes... not just a rectangle. Even more specifically, I'd like patterns designed to be felted.

One thing I'd like to see more often, is actual measurements of different components of a design. For instance, instead of saying: Round 35, start decreasing", I'd like to see "When piece measures xx number of inches, start decreasing". That way, if your gauge is not spot on, you will still be able get the dimensions correct.

That's my 3 cents worth (inflation doncha know :)

Joan

I love this thread! I'm jotting down ideas for future pattern designs!! I think I'm on the right track - I have a leaflet coming out in July for 3 large-size sweaters for women. (I wish it didn't take publishers so long to get these books out - I signed the contract for these designs last summer!) Also, here's a Bustier Purse. How's that for fun & funky? Not your usual rectangle sewed together! :D The pattern will be on CPR shortly. I don't know if you can see the beaded fringe on the front. I'll post better pics later when I get the pattern finished. Keep those requests & ideas coming! I'm listening!! :hook:hug

BustierPursewithbeadedtrim.jpgBustierPurseback.jpg

I want to see a funfur granny square scarf with a matching poncho done in disco with a boa trim.

No, seriously I'd have to just echo what everyone else is saying.

:rofl That made me chuckle! :lol

Wow... what a great thread! I would love to see more purse/bag patterns... ones in somewhat unusual shapes... not just a rectangle. Even more specifically, I'd like patterns designed to be felted.

One thing I'd like to see more often, is actual measurements of different components of a design. For instance, instead of saying: Round 35, start decreasing", I'd like to see "When piece measures xx number of inches, start decreasing". That way, if your gauge is not spot on, you will still be able get the dimensions correct.

That's my 3 cents worth (inflation doncha know :)

Joan

Funky sexy tops for WOMEN!!! :clap:cheer:clap

and yes NO scarfs or mittens or ponchos they bore me stupid :lol

and yes rarer (is that the word) the better the fancier the better the sexier the better

im getting my penneth worth in...did ya notice lol. :yay

okay I have a very specific type that I would like to see, a long sweater/duster type jacket for a 6-10 year old girl nothing fury just sturdy and warm.....plus everything everyone else said oh yeah and a pull over hooded sweater for little boys 3-8 finding hoods is almost impossible for that age. :hook I LOVE this thread!!

I'd like to see some light lacy easy simple but funky tho not too wayout summer tops to make for my :manyheart daughter who is a very trendy 25

I don't make stuff for myself usually but I'd like some trendy tops/jackets cos tho I might be over 50 and crochet I don't want to be thought of as frumpy :eek !!!!

I must be a minority to like fun fur. I like using it in unusual ways to accent, not do the whole project in. It's amazing how a little bit can jazz up a item.

ANYWAY, I have 2 boys 9 and 10. Boy things would be nice...as well as men things. NOT just sweaters...

I would just like to see things explained better and made easier. I don't have a designer phd. Sweater/shirt patterns....they give me a headache...and I can't watch my kids and read it (the pattern) at the same time. Moms are multi-task people.

I also like unusual household items that are useful. I like giving my inlaws and my mom gifts, but they have so many things that it has to be useful.

Also teacher and teacher aide gifts that aren't apples. Not all teachers like apples...they like useful things. I really try to give things to teachers/teacher aides and school secretaries and librarians at least twice a year. They work really hard for the kids and get a lot of headaches in the process. Some of the kids are nightmares. I have a son in the Autism spectrum and he has 2 aides and a Special Ed teacher that work really hard with him. Little homemade items give them a well-earned thank you.

The other thing I would like is shirts/dresses/skirts/halters for little girls that are modest and yet cute. Modest..where their tummies aren't hanging out or things aren't too high up the thighs. (We don't need to get those sex offenders out there anything else to look at. They already have enough problems.)

I don't mind scarves and ponchos and hats and purses, but I can see where everyone is coming from...too many in all the publications.

I love afghans and I don't think they ever go out of style.

I haven't been able to read all the posts but I agree with fun and hip tops for women and girls-especially advanced beginner level. Also simple skirts that can be embellished as the crocheter is interested in-adding lacy edges or something. These for women or girls also.

Not sure about men but definitely some cool (not the 70's style) vests for boys. My son loves fleece vests but I haven't found anything he'd wear in crochet....

Ann

I agree with the garment requests! I think crochet is perfect for sweater coats, jackets and cardigans.

I want to see more patterns using interesting crochet stitches-I liked Cool Crochet but a lot of the patterns used such basic stitch patterns - all hdc or dc.

Also agree, NO hats, scarves, ponchos or shawls. Interesting purses would be good. But not a variation of 2 squares sewn together-I was so mad when I saw in a magazine (can't remember which one at the moment) who had a purse pattern that was 2 granny squares sewn together and a chain strap. What a rip!

I wish that more patterns would state the weight of the yarn. I usually have to research the yarn too long to figure out that it is worsted weight or whatever. And no novelty yarn! One thing I personally love about crochet is that the stitches can be so beautiful that simple yarns show it off.

If you are going to include afghans, please-no granny squares, no ripples, no patterns that are a stitch pattern repeated throughout. They are very nice afghans, not saying that. Just that there are so many of those type patterns out there that I don't need to see any more. Not if I am going to pay for the patterns.

i was asked why, soo.....

i decided this was my year to do something about the absence of patterns. i think a lot of you know i was a professional seamstress for many years and now i want to put my sewing/pattern making knowledge to use with crochet. all i need are a few basic measurements and i can make a sewing pattern of any kind to fit any body. i took classes, went to seminars and practiced practiced practiced to develop this skill. it's just time i use it again. it's been 3 years (when my youngest was born) since i've touched my sad neglected sewing machine. guess i'm just missing it, but my heart is still in crochet right now. so there ya go. that's my reason. i hadn't really thought of a book or anything. i was really thinking 'crochet me'. the reason i ask is because i know what i like, but i'm a very very casual dresser and wanted to hear what others have in mind when searching for patterns.

...okay, i'm rambling.

i have saved everyone's comments and will continue to do so... i hope to be bugging for testers soon.:hook

Fun Fur is just wrong! It is time to bury it or burn it! I would like to see trendy clothing items, like maybe a snuggly cardigan. I really like those lacy shrug patterns the NICE ones.. like you see in real swanky stores. maybe a tutorial on types of yarn for diff types of clothing too. I want to buy the ritzy yarns, but have no clue what to use them for.

ok, i really dont have anything much to add here, but i completely agree with pretty much everything said...please please...clothes for real sized women (i'm a 14/16 women's bottom and a 16/18 women's top) and i HATE having to almost completely re-write patterns cause they're for skinny chicks. i would also love to see patterns written for the less expensive, but nice yarns, the less bulky yarns.

thanks for listening!

I agree with everyone elses opinion...I would like to add that cute dresses would be nice but for real size women not stick people. Nothing too clingy because not all of us have a perfect figure!

I would love to see some freeform crochet sweaters as well.

Unique patterns for things would be great too such as hard to find patterns for things like wedding dresses, evening gowns and like someone else said things like look more like knit items. Cute purse patterns would be another request of mine, no your typical tote bag but more designer styled purses like the Fendi Knockoff Bag and such.

On the other hand, I've rarely seen a basic tank or shell pattern that your average 40-something could wear.

I've noticed a dearth of pretty short sleeved tops, seems like everything is either an all-out sweater or a tank top -- I'd LOVE to find some of those, since I'm at an age now where frankly my upper arms do not bear baring.

I'll second both of these. I need tops to wear with suits!

Debby

Hear, hear to pretty much all of the above. Please please, no more fun fur or other novelty yarns, and no more poncho patterns! As for bulky yarn for clothing ... can we pretty much skip that? My daughter looks good in stuff made from bulky yarn. She wears a size 1. I don't think most of the rest of us need the additional bulk though ;)

For myself I'd love to see more patterns that used good natural fiber yarns (or gave enough info about the yarn used that without spending a lifetime researching I could figure out a substitution using the yarn of my choice). I've noticed a dearth of pretty short sleeved tops, seems like everything is either an all-out sweater or a tank top -- I'd LOVE to find some of those, since I'm at an age now where frankly my upper arms do not bear baring. I also completely agree with the folks who have noted that it's hard to find more fitted sweaters -- I'd love to see both the cardigan and pullover variety and for both men and women. And Magdiego, I've lusted after that Tubey sweater too!

As for sizing -- how about realistic sizing? S/M/L means NOTHING unless you know exactly what the designer means by it ... I've run across mediums that are tight on my teensy daughter, and mediums that hang off me like tents. Don't say medium, say Bust 36-38 or something that gives us an actual clue. And yep, a larger range of sizes; I wanted to make something for my mother and the only patterns I found that I liked didn't come in the 1X that she wears.

Archived