what do YOU want?

RebeccaVelasquez

Question

• Answers 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want to see clothing sized for REAL people. If I see one more pattern that goes from xs to l and that's it I'm going to scream so loudly you'll hear me in Texas. We're here, we're big and we wear crochet too, designers!

I would like to see more patterns for boys. YOu know stuff they would actually wear. While they are cute, no patterns for boys from the 70's or newsboy caps. I see things for baby boys and men...but not really inbetween.

oh yeah ditto on the fur.. i am so sick of novelty yarn .. trim is one thing but full garments.. no way .. unless of course its the real deal

gimme silk.. angora.. cashmere.. wool..alpaca.. llama .. camel.. and of course some of the nicer higher end syntethics like soy silk and indegio ( i htink i spelled it right .. its made from corn) for those allergic or vegan..

I'm not a shawl, wrap, or poncho wearer - and I hardly ever wear scarves, and there are plenty of those patterns. On the other hand, I've rarely seen a basic tank or shell pattern that your average 40-something could wear.

I love the jacket on the cover of the current Crochet! magazine - I may attempt that, though not in pink.

I fell in love with Knitty's Tubey, and I may have to expand my knitting skills past basic knit and purl to make this. I wish it were possible to replicate something like this in crochet.

Mary

I'm totally on the garment bandwagon... I'd love to see more wearables [especially without fun fur - ick! :yuck] Bikinis are nice but they're the old stand-by crochet pattern. I'd like to see some flattering tops and sweaters, especially for bigger sizes. More bottomwear - cozy boyshorts or open skirts. I love a nice shawl, too - something lacy and unique. Fulling is big, but I'm sick of fulled bags - more fulled slipper and toy patterns would be nice.

And I'm totally with Beth on getting new, higher yarns in there, too... Seems like whenever I see a crochet pattern with high-end yarn it is freaking fur...Gag... More wool, silk, lacy and drapey yarns would be great.

i agree. fun trendy. i live in texas:sun so we are only able to wear scarves/ponchos for like a week. i would like some light things to compliment tank tops to dress them up a bit but not too heavy as it is verrry hot here. also i hate short shirts, i have a looong torso and baby fat:pig that makes it impossible to find clothes to cover my belly:) i would love some trendy summer clothes that cover me up enough but are cute:rabbit.

i have to echo rachel.. i think there is a need for nice sweaters.. made with finer guage yarns to kind of mimic some of the knits we have seen ..

i wouldnt mind some wraps or something of that sort that were fun.. funky .. asymetrical or odd shaped.. but i am pretty tired of the same old same old in that department..

some cool funky lacy skirt cover type things would be fun too

and please dont misunderstand me .. but a move away fom the granny square in clothing would be a nice change..

i actually would like to see some upper end yarns being used for those of us that dont particularly like cheap yarn as well as a substitution chart for other types of yearn that can be used..

also on this note.. i think many people dont think enough about substitues .. maybe a section on the importance of gauge swatching.. and ways tomake reasonable substitutes? i am assuming this is going to be a book ?

I agree with Rachel... There are only so many ways to make scarves, hats and ponchos. Something unique and different. Personally I'm not into "funky" but would like to see things I have never seen before oh and patterns that don't call for yarn that costs a fortune to buy (like Moda Dea)... :hook

I'd like to see things that are rare. Read: no scarves, no ponchos, no hats, no mittens.

To me, rare is: CUTE form-fitting cardigans and jackets, lovely trendy tops (all kinds), dresses (lacy and light), etc.

My two cents...since you asked...:D

I want to see a funfur granny square scarf with a matching poncho done in disco with a boa trim.

No, seriously I'd have to just echo what everyone else is saying.

I know some, if not all of this has been said previously but I'd like to add my 2cents worth anyway. I'd like to see more form fitting styles instead of all the cover ups and wraps. And the use of thinner yarns that drape softly rather than the bulky yarns that stick out! And patterns with more detailed measurements as mentioned before would be a bonus for those of us who would like to mix-n-match between two or more patterns to make something we can't find but can envision.

Personally, I want sweater patterns that do not require a PhD in crochet to follow.Sweaters patterns with measured dimensions for, and pictures of, each individual piece before assembly. So, when the pattern makes my head spin (as per usual), I can refer to measurements and pictures and know I'm on the right track. I just got the book "Glorious Crocheted Sweaters", and was really impressed by the included measurements. If only the clear-as-mud patterns were easier to follow!

:)Katchkan!!!

you really said it well!!! even if it's just purses, or evening bags, atleast let them be really pretty in design, & PLEASE let the patterns be easy to read & follow !! I have never worn a crocheted top, or bottoms EITHER, i guess that people see the patterns & can't follow them, or just plain don't like them. I like crocheting afghans,& ripple afghans& giving them to our relatives, simply because the whole time I was growing up, I would have given my "eye-teeth" to have a beautiful afghan, wether it be granny squares, squares, straight, or ripple,"back then & now" there are so many people that don't want to take the time to sit their bottom down, & crochet either a regular-sized afghan or a long one, just to make someone else happy & to see the sparkle in their eye when they give it to them!! & If there are more patterns for tops with 3/4 length sleeves, long-waisted, V-or U necked, Please make it happen, & there are a lot of people that will be a lot happier, just because they found a pattern,they can make& wear.& what about a crocheted nightgown just to lounge around in??!!!:c9

What I would like to see is pattern for clothing that flatter the everyday woman. I am not tall and willowy. Never have been and never will be. I have fought weight in the past and know that clothing that looks good on you is hard to come by. I see so many designs I would never wear if you paid me. If you go to all the time and effort to make something it should be something that makes you look your best when you wear it to show it off or it will hang in th closet forever. Well done or not. I don't like the designs that cut a woman right in half. not a good look. Necklines should be flattering. not make you look like you had your head chopped off. Sleeves that aren't going to drag into everything I try to eat or do. I see a lot of designs are geared to quick results and an economy of yarn. Large open designs, I never wear large prints and I don't think I would wear a large open design for the same reason. I dont like a lot of bulk for the same reason. There is enough of me, I don't want to make myself look any larger than necassary.

So well thought out designs, that are clear to read, explicit in their sizing, that can be done in wide range of yarns from pricey to economy and still look nice. Boy I don't want much do I. :eek

If we want to promote crochet we need to look great when someone sees it. and nine times out of ten it's seen when we are wearing it. So if it looks good on you it will encourage others to try it. If it makes you look like a sack of potatos they will never envy you your top. So let's make them pea green with envy and want to buy what you make or learn how to do it.

The thing about all the patterns with fun fun is they were probably written about a year or more ago. Whenever I've been published in magazines, they will accept the pattern and print it in 8 - 12 months. That's probably why we are so way ahead of the magazines when it comes to fun fun. I still really like it, but like everyone else, I'm sick of pattern books that are swamped with it.

I echo everyone else when I say we something new, maybe trendy, and nice to wear that's not too bulky

What I'd love to see more of is clothing patterns that don't befuddle me :lol What I mean by that is that a lot of times the pattern will list sizes (S, M, L, etc) without explaining how big that's supposed to be, or list finished sizes without giving an indication of how much ease there's supposed to be. Maybe I'm just slow but I don't feel comfortable starting anything clothing-like without knowing what each size means in terms of both body measurement and finished size.

One thing I like to see with clothing patterns is sketches with measurements. I like to know how long/wide each piece is supposed to turn out.
That, too! Sketches would be tremendously helpful.

And cute short-sleeved tops in lightweight yarns. I really want to make a cute top that isn't too heavy. :yay

I want to see a funfur granny square scarf with a matching poncho done in disco with a boa trim.

No, seriously I'd have to just echo what everyone else is saying.

Oh yeah, you'd better be joking. I had to pinch myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming when I read that. :lol

I pretty much agree with what everyone else is saying, except I still love Fun Fur, lol. More wearables, particularly sweaters. I like Beth's suggestion about listing substitutes for the suggested yarn. There are a lot of beautiful yarns out there, but I simply can't afford to buy big quantities of them.

I hope you get into CrochetMe, Rebecca! Good luck! :cheer

I LOVE ponchos, scarves and wraps...they make perfect gifts for folks because they are basically one size fits all and they work up quickly. However, I have only been crocheting since November and I have enough poncho, scarf and shawl patterns to last a lifetime or two!:lol

I agree some sweaters, sweater jacket/coats would be wonderful! Sleeveless and short sleeved tops would be great too! Yarn substitutions, and actual garment measurements would be helpful.

Archived