what do YOU want?

RebeccaVelasquez

Question

• Answers 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want to see clothing sized for REAL people. If I see one more pattern that goes from xs to l and that's it I'm going to scream so loudly you'll hear me in Texas. We're here, we're big and we wear crochet too, designers!

Wow... what a great thread! I would love to see more purse/bag patterns... ones in somewhat unusual shapes... not just a rectangle. Even more specifically, I'd like patterns designed to be felted.

One thing I'd like to see more often, is actual measurements of different components of a design. For instance, instead of saying: Round 35, start decreasing", I'd like to see "When piece measures xx number of inches, start decreasing". That way, if your gauge is not spot on, you will still be able get the dimensions correct.

That's my 3 cents worth (inflation doncha know :)

Joan

I would love to see more patterns for sweater-coats. I love these but I can't find a good pattern for one. I agree with everyone else about an expanded size range and more specific measurements for clothing. Less ponchos and fun fur would be nice, too.

How's about something for men besides scarves/hats/mittens?

YEAH!

It's so hard to come up with things to make the men in my life!

I must be a minority to like fun fur. I like using it in unusual ways to accent, not do the whole project in. It's amazing how a little bit can jazz up a item.

ANYWAY, I have 2 boys 9 and 10. Boy things would be nice...as well as men things. NOT just sweaters...

I would just like to see things explained better and made easier. I don't have a designer phd. Sweater/shirt patterns....they give me a headache...and I can't watch my kids and read it (the pattern) at the same time. Moms are multi-task people.

I also like unusual household items that are useful. I like giving my inlaws and my mom gifts, but they have so many things that it has to be useful.

Also teacher and teacher aide gifts that aren't apples. Not all teachers like apples...they like useful things. I really try to give things to teachers/teacher aides and school secretaries and librarians at least twice a year. They work really hard for the kids and get a lot of headaches in the process. Some of the kids are nightmares. I have a son in the Autism spectrum and he has 2 aides and a Special Ed teacher that work really hard with him. Little homemade items give them a well-earned thank you.

The other thing I would like is shirts/dresses/skirts/halters for little girls that are modest and yet cute. Modest..where their tummies aren't hanging out or things aren't too high up the thighs. (We don't need to get those sex offenders out there anything else to look at. They already have enough problems.)

I don't mind scarves and ponchos and hats and purses, but I can see where everyone is coming from...too many in all the publications.

I love afghans and I don't think they ever go out of style.

I want to see a funfur granny square scarf with a matching poncho done in disco with a boa trim.

No, seriously I'd have to just echo what everyone else is saying.

:rofl That made me chuckle! :lol

i was asked why, soo.....

i decided this was my year to do something about the absence of patterns. i think a lot of you know i was a professional seamstress for many years and now i want to put my sewing/pattern making knowledge to use with crochet. all i need are a few basic measurements and i can make a sewing pattern of any kind to fit any body. i took classes, went to seminars and practiced practiced practiced to develop this skill. it's just time i use it again. it's been 3 years (when my youngest was born) since i've touched my sad neglected sewing machine. guess i'm just missing it, but my heart is still in crochet right now. so there ya go. that's my reason. i hadn't really thought of a book or anything. i was really thinking 'crochet me'. the reason i ask is because i know what i like, but i'm a very very casual dresser and wanted to hear what others have in mind when searching for patterns.

...okay, i'm rambling.

i have saved everyone's comments and will continue to do so... i hope to be bugging for testers soon.:hook

I pretty much agree with what everyone else is saying, except I still love Fun Fur, lol. More wearables, particularly sweaters. I like Beth's suggestion about listing substitutes for the suggested yarn. There are a lot of beautiful yarns out there, but I simply can't afford to buy big quantities of them.

I hope you get into CrochetMe, Rebecca! Good luck! :cheer

Hi antara!!

I agree, there needs to be a list of substitutes if we don't want to, or just can get the yarn the pattern suggests. It's frustrating when you like a certain pattern, but can't get the yarn.

Hope You have a Nice Evening!!

Carol

I'd like to see some light lacy easy simple but funky tho not too wayout summer tops to make for my :manyheart daughter who is a very trendy 25

I don't make stuff for myself usually but I'd like some trendy tops/jackets cos tho I might be over 50 and crochet I don't want to be thought of as frumpy :eek !!!!

I want to see a funfur granny square scarf with a matching poncho done in disco with a boa trim.

Oh yeah, you'd better be joking. I had to pinch myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming when I read that. :lol

Boy, I have to agree with the previous posters regarding the fun fur -- I just don't want to see it anymore. I also agree that we need more adult clothing patterns (jackets, skirts, tops, sweaters, etc..). Even a nice adult bathrobe pattern would be great. Like someone else also posted, adding a list of substitute yarns for the pattern would be extremely helpful (I think this would also help the pattern sell better too, IMO). I would also love to see patterns for use in an automobile. For example, someone here recently made a steering wheel cover. For more automobile patterns, how about seat protectors/covers, seat tote bags (the kind that hang from the back of the head-rest), CD holders, or even floor mats? I would love to see patterns like these for use in an automobile.

Conservative, traditional clothing and afghans. I'm definitely into the afghans and can't wear most of the clothing patterns that are out there. Nothing funky cuz usually only the runway models can get away with wearing it.

I think all the kids patterns out there are fantastic but for women and men, the clothing patterns are just too trendy for me.

I agree with the garment requests! I think crochet is perfect for sweater coats, jackets and cardigans.

I want to see more patterns using interesting crochet stitches-I liked Cool Crochet but a lot of the patterns used such basic stitch patterns - all hdc or dc.

Also agree, NO hats, scarves, ponchos or shawls. Interesting purses would be good. But not a variation of 2 squares sewn together-I was so mad when I saw in a magazine (can't remember which one at the moment) who had a purse pattern that was 2 granny squares sewn together and a chain strap. What a rip!

I wish that more patterns would state the weight of the yarn. I usually have to research the yarn too long to figure out that it is worsted weight or whatever. And no novelty yarn! One thing I personally love about crochet is that the stitches can be so beautiful that simple yarns show it off.

If you are going to include afghans, please-no granny squares, no ripples, no patterns that are a stitch pattern repeated throughout. They are very nice afghans, not saying that. Just that there are so many of those type patterns out there that I don't need to see any more. Not if I am going to pay for the patterns.

I would like to see more patterns for boys. YOu know stuff they would actually wear. While they are cute, no patterns for boys from the 70's or newsboy caps. I see things for baby boys and men...but not really inbetween.

What I'd love to see more of is clothing patterns that don't befuddle me :lol What I mean by that is that a lot of times the pattern will list sizes (S, M, L, etc) without explaining how big that's supposed to be, or list finished sizes without giving an indication of how much ease there's supposed to be. Maybe I'm just slow but I don't feel comfortable starting anything clothing-like without knowing what each size means in terms of both body measurement and finished size.

One thing I like to see with clothing patterns is sketches with measurements. I like to know how long/wide each piece is supposed to turn out.
That, too! Sketches would be tremendously helpful.

And cute short-sleeved tops in lightweight yarns. I really want to make a cute top that isn't too heavy. :yay

:)Katchkan!!!

you really said it well!!! even if it's just purses, or evening bags, atleast let them be really pretty in design, & PLEASE let the patterns be easy to read & follow !! I have never worn a crocheted top, or bottoms EITHER, i guess that people see the patterns & can't follow them, or just plain don't like them. I like crocheting afghans,& ripple afghans& giving them to our relatives, simply because the whole time I was growing up, I would have given my "eye-teeth" to have a beautiful afghan, wether it be granny squares, squares, straight, or ripple,"back then & now" there are so many people that don't want to take the time to sit their bottom down, & crochet either a regular-sized afghan or a long one, just to make someone else happy & to see the sparkle in their eye when they give it to them!! & If there are more patterns for tops with 3/4 length sleeves, long-waisted, V-or U necked, Please make it happen, & there are a lot of people that will be a lot happier, just because they found a pattern,they can make& wear.& what about a crocheted nightgown just to lounge around in??!!!:c9

I so agree with everyone here and just to say Im a size 14 or 16 a real life person and everytime I see something I really like its knitted and on a size tiny person. Love to see wearable stuff in adult woman fashion in afordable yarns with crochet pattern that is written so that your able to crochet it not confuse the person in crochet pattern double talk.

QUOTE]

:devil:laughroll:devil:rofl:devil:laughroll:devil:rofl

Very funny!

My personal pattern wishlist would echo alot of the things already listed,

1. Yarn substitution list for the pattern in a variety of price catagories, Not every one can spend $70 to make a sweater.

2. Larger sizes and pretty garments for larger women. Larger doesn't have to mean shapeless. It irks me that there are so few patterns out there for larger women and the ones that are out there are shapeless and unflattering for the most part. I'd like to be able to find lovely garments in real women sizes to make for my larger family members.

3. More boys stuff, nice sweaters, not too cutesy, just nicely designed sweaters that they would be proud to wear.

4. More nice mens sweaters, classic lines, nice manly color schemes that they would love to wear.

5. Mens garments also in larger sizes, Men too have a hard time finding nice things to wear in larger sizes. My Hubby had the hardest time finding things he liked to wear versus just finding somthing that fit before he lost all his weight.

6. Light and Lacy sweaters and garments, well designed clean classic lines, that won't go out of style in 5 minutes. Also garments that flatter the womanly shape. We have curves, whether petite or gloriously buxom we have curves and garments ought to acentuate them. Gone should be the days of boxy shapeless sweaters and tops. There are some lovely classic patterns that could be reworked and brought up to more modern tastes.

7. More midrange priced yarns, it seems to me that you've got your cheaper widely available yarns and your high end yarns but not much in between.

that's all that comes to mind at the moment.

Archived