What do you have to have by your side while you crochet?

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought a number of those little pop up clothes hampers from the dollar store. I have each project in them, lined up, or behind my ugly chair (I've had the ugly chair since I was a sophomore in college and can't part with it. It's mid century modern, low to the floor and functions better without the arms than with them). I have a small table next to my chair which I usually have a glass of ice water or ice tea in. My needlecase, pattern copy, pencil or colored pencil. If my work is big enough, the dog wriggles her way under me and the tented work to snooze. When she's cozy, I usually get quite a few rows completed.

I try to keep everything I need in my WIP bag -- scissors, tape measure, tapestry needles, etc. I have that beside me, along with something hot to drink (tea, coffee, hot chocolate, etc.), the TV remote, and my kitty, who insists on trying to sit in my lap while I work. I had to laugh -- I ALSO keep the phone near me so I won't have to get up to answer it <g>. I keep my cell phone near me for the same reason.

I have to have everything close at hand while I am crocheting. My hooks, yarn needles, scissors, tape measure, pad of paper and pencil, pattern, post it notes to keep my place in the pattern, and my coffee, tea or cola....and a keep out sign while I am busy counting, lol!

The ones you mentioned, a notebook and pencil to write my patterns as I go along . .an eraser is essential ;) , a basket full of yarn, all my hooks are on the table next to me, my CHIBI with all the needles in it (love my CHIBI), my crochet stitches book, and last but not least a tall glass of water. Crocheting makes me thirsty.

i have my whole yarn tote scissors hook tags my bag of hooks a cat or two my phone a soda or water my pattern book a pen paper an eraser my labels for if the ghan is almost done my handmade by stamp for charity ghans and 3x5 cards to write my name and address on for charity i think i can keep going but i better not. Dawn

I have my tool bag (a little zippered cosmetic -sized bag that I got from the hospital with some formula in it when I had my son). Aside from that water and hand cream. ;)

Guest Catlizg

My yarn basket, extra hooks in a case along with my scissors, tape measure and needles, a bottle of diet green tea and/or coffee, my pattern if I'm using one, and 2 Great Danes and a Boston Terrier snuggled in on either side of me to add the requisite dog hair to whatever I'm crocheting. If there's enough room, the cat will horn in on the action too. And, oh yeah, the TV remote and phone are usually close at hand.

I have EVERYTHING nearby! All organized in a big fishing tackle box...the compartments are so useful for keeping it all together but apart at the same time if you follow me! Then anything I might want is within handy reach and I can just enjoy myself.......Also need a cup of tea and the remote as I usually crochet while watching TV....This is my idea of BLISS:c9 ! Debbie

• 2 months later...

I just noticed this question and I just had to get in on this one.

I have to have beside me my bag with my crochet project in it. It has all my needles and stuff. I almost always set on my bed so I have my two dogs beside me and my goffin cockatoo on my shoulder or playing with my dogs.

Well what can I say, we have 5 kids so this is a piece of cake:yes

Hmmm.. my "workbasket" (a basket with all my notions: hooks, scissors, tape measure, row markers...), a cup of coffee or a diet coke, and my headphones plugged into the laptop with my launchcast station playing (a mom can only take so much preschool programming...) or the remotes for the tv and stereo, and the telephone because it only rings when I'm in the middle of counting stitches!

Great question!

Cris~

Crochet supplies, hot tea in the winter and iced tea in the summer, a good light, the remote (which I may or may not use) and the phone.

I have the overfilled table approach, yarn under it/on it/next to it, then hooks, scissors, tea, phone, needles, projects, patterns, couple of books(crochet), pin cushion, hand cream, various crocheted animals which I need to attach apendages and faces, anything I could possibly need while crocheting, including chocolate for those I need an inspirational snack type moments! And my son, who likes to see close hand what I'm working on!

no cat tho!

My computer (I pretty much keep it turned on, on the coffee table, all day, so I can stop and check emails, messages, etc. whenever I feel like it), a drink (usually either tea or diet pepsi), and either a bag or basket (depending on what particular item I'm working on) with my yarn, my little box with my big pony beads, tape measure, and yarn needles, and my pencil case that has my scissors and crochet hooks in it (I'm seriously considering swapping that for an actual hook case, but I've got to either buy or make one first). Also on hand are usually the remote (even if the kids are watching tv, it's usually on the coffee table), and my mobile phone (anybody who IS gonna call me is gonna call me on my mobile).

• 3 weeks later...

I have to have my hook case, stitch markers, measuring tape, and a knitting stitch counter. I don't have time to count my stitches, but I use it to count my rows. This works great mainly for specialty projects like handbags or stuffed animals.

Archived