What do you have to have by your side while you crochet?

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...but the dogs and cat seem to think they ALL have to be there, too.

:lol I've come to realize that I am not permitted to actually use my lap desk--I'm just supposed to get it out when I start working so Lena (one of my kitties) can come and stretch out on it and bat at the yarn while I'm working.

• 3 weeks later...

coffee or diet dew, the remote or my discman, my handy dandy I know it's in there crochet bag. Which has my hooks, scissors,stitch markers,needle,note pad, pen,row counters,pattern,rubber grips for hooks.

Barbara

Usually my Shih Tzu, Dusty, is by my side waiting for me to allow him to play with the yarn. Other than that, the basics, hooks, patterns, scissors, yarn and my leather bound book & pencil to jot down notes of a pattern I'm working on.

On my left in the morning it's coffee. Afternoon and evening it's iced tea. Plus my little case with my scissors, markers and such.

On my right at any time is Abby Darlin'.

abbybasket.jpg ........ abbyblanket.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The usual stuff - hooks, tapestry needle, yarn, yarn, yarn, books, scissors, tape measure, pencil and something to drink - oh and kleenex and chapstick!

Cheryl

Drew, your cat is adorable! I actually prefer it if Chaplin observes from a little ways away, otherwise he has to try to eat the succulent yarn...he just can't help himself! LOL

I have to have: Yarn cutter pendant, a ziplock bag to keep yarn in so cat won't get it, and my discman and something to drink, either soda (drink too much of that, bad bad) tea, or coffee. If I have my music, my WIP and my cup, I'm good :)

hugs

Ro

Drew, your cat is adorable! I actually prefer it if Chaplin observes from a little ways away, otherwise he has to try to eat the succulent yarn...he just can't help himself! LOL

hugs

Ro

Thanks Ro. She keeps me in stitches :rofl

My other cat, Cleocatra, is the one that likes to chew on the yarn. I'll be hookin' away, minding my own business when a wet section of yarn slides through my fingers then of course sticks. It's icky. :yuck

I have to have the entire surface area of the couch literally covered in MY stuff! :c9

My yarn, the book or binder with my current pattern, my (crocheted) hook case, at least one pair of scissors, my tapestry needles, a soda, the TiVo remote, and a nice comfy pillow to lean on. I guess I can't leave out the cat hair~~it seems to show up in almost every project I do! Makes them more unique, I guess! :cat

I drive my husband nuts with my couch-hoggin' ways of crochet!

~Melissa

CatsCradleCreations.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I have not seen this in anyone else's post... I use Viewtainers from Home Depot. They're clear plastic cylinders with a rubber cap on each end with a slot so you can put stuff in easily, but it won't spill out. I have a short one for scissors and a long one for hooks. The long one fits up to the P hook. I have those and my pattern next to me while crocheting. Not much else. I too am usually in front of the TV.

Picture this: I'm at the couch, in front of the coffee table with all my hooks, scissors and notions on the table. The skeins of yarn are usually on the floor or on the couch with me. At my side is

dog number 1 barking and begging for attention

dog number 2 lying somewhere in front of me or practically under me, sleeping

cat number 1 sleeping on the sofa across from me

cat number 2 swatting and chewing on the yarn as I do my stitches

cat number 3 watching patiently a few feet away until he decides to strike, jump across the room, hit the ball of yarn and run back to where he was

bird number 1 on my shoulder

bird number 2 sitting on the pillow next to me

and of course the turtle slowly pushing a ball of yarn with her head (The cutest thing ever!)

And somewhere in this chaos I've lost the TV remote and cartoons are on TV. It's a wonder I get anything done at all. I wouldn't have it any other way though :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have a canvas dowel magazine rack on the floor next to me that holds my current project & yarn. On the side table, a plastic case with my hooks & other crochet notions & beside that a cup of coffee! I also keep lotion & powder handy in small travel sizes.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one. My first thought when I read the topic, was my dog. Soccer is a JRT and he likes to sleep crammed as close to me as possible when I'm crocheting. I also usually have the TV remote, a drink of some sort (water, soda, coffee wine), my good fingernail clippers. (I got in the habit of using them instead of scissors because I could take them on the plane when I travel)

• 2 weeks later...

I keep a pair of scissors, the original pattern, a photocopy of the pattern that I use to mark out the row/stitch I completed last,the phone of course, the remote and a huge glass of ice water for breaks. LOL

I have a bombay chest in my living room. It has been assigned as my "crochet chest" I have all my needles, yarns and patterns in a drawer or door. So it really helps me keep things neat and not lost. LOL

I primarily crochet afghans. I nearly always need my scissors and oftentimes another hook. I tend to drop my hooks and they get stuck in the recliner. Having a second hook means that I don't have to stop and flip the chair over to find the darn thing I dropped!

When I work on towel toppers, I also need my awl. Handy thing to have for them! Gift from my BIL who no longer needed it (this is from the hardware store, not the sewing store!).

Finally, I need a beverage of some kind. Usually coffee or hot chocolate, but sometimes a pop.

Stephanie

I really have a assortment with me. Under the chair is a container with extras of everything. I have a light for the evening work, scissors, tape measure, yarn needle, a basket to put my project in, hooks, hooks and any other smaller project items I may be working on.

Often when I get fatigued with a large item. I will pick up some cotton and work on a quick dishcloth.

I most have a diet pepsi beside me and also hidden under the chair, is my gummy bears. shooooo.

I'm going to have to take better notice as to what all I really have beside me.

But best of all, I can get up come to this site and relax the brain freeze and relaxe. Thank-you all so much :cheer :cheer :cheer

Blessings and hugs,

Mary

Archived