What do you have to have by your side while you crochet?

I always have pen and paper to keep track of the rows. Michaels just got in a mini scrapbook tote with all kinds of pockets and divided sections.(12.99 with a 40% coupon) I think this will be a perfect way to carry all of the must have items at hand for any project.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i always have a cup of coffee, or diet mountain dew and my little bag that holds my stitch markers and scissors on one side, and can't forget my glasses and something to munch on..one can work up an appetite when doing some serious crocheting.

I'm just looking aroung me now.... I have a Laptop on lap to read a pattern from it and keep up with forums! A Moggy on my right keeping that side of me warm, a pencil case which has thread snippers, guage,hooks of all sizes, stitch markers, tape measure, cotton, needles, eyes, buttons, embroidery thread etc etc. Also a small bag of stuffing, the TV remote, coffee....

Most of what is beside me is there whether I'm crocheting or not... scissors, pen and notebook, various hooks, and my current project(s). Sometimes I switch to working on something different, just so I won't get bored. And I keep a book of Sudoku puzzles beside me, too... for when my hands get to aching and I'm forced to do something different.

yarn

needle

case of hooks

stitch marker

nail clipper (i don't have small snippers at the moment)

bag of stuffing

phone

tv/stereo/dvd remotes

notepad and pen

drink

And always a dog keeping my feet warm :D

I crochet at my desk, so my ruler, scissors, scratch pad and pencil are always there (as well as an emery board in my pencil holder, :lol). In addition I have one of my hook cases (in case I decide to use a different size, I have 3 cases; aluminum hooks, steel hooks and plastic hooks) spool of thread and needle, bag of safety pins and stitch markers/holders, magnetic pin holder, the pattern I may be using, a water or tea/soft drink, the can I use for balls and maybe a snack or two.

• 2 months later...

I can crochet just about anywhere, so I have to have my totebag, filled with;

whatever project I'm working on

extra yarn and hooks in case inspiration strikes

polyfill

tape mesurer

stich gauge(more for knitting, but it has a ruler on it so it works)

safty pins(as stich markers, they're also real cheap!)

beverage

knitting needles if I want to knit

scisors

lotion, I can't stand crochetting with dry hands!

I want everything next to me so that I don't have to get up for any reason :). That includes the telephone, remote control, drink, scissors, yarn and pattern. (My 9 yr old daughter is terrible about running off with my scissors ...)

Multiple hooks of various sizes. Scissors. Safety Pins (used as stitch markers and place holders). Pen and paper. Big eyed sewing needle. Extra thread, if more will be needed during the crocheting session. Buttons if needed. Sometimes Velcro. Pattern if I'm using one. It really depends on what I'm working on.

Scissors, super-glue (for affixing eyes and gluing stubborn amigurumi parts), iPod and food. If I feel like having a snack I want to have some crackers or something by me because if I have to get up I won't go back to my project for a long time.

Usually not everything I need :lol because when I start crocheting I have to get up and get this that or the other for someone, Or the rabbit is out running around and I have to go chase him down and see what he is into.

But usually I have my phone, hook case, pattern, scissors, remotes, sometimes laptop if I am listening to an audiobook, pepsi, snack, and yarn basket.

One thing I must have is a small pair of pliers (I found a tiny pair in the jewelry-making aisle that fits nicely in my bag). I have mild arthritis and sometimes can't grip the needle when I'm weaving in ends. Pliers work great there. Also, I use the ergonomic hook set from motionmagique.com and can't tighten the chuck tight enough with my fingers alone.

I keep my hook case by me, a small pair of folding craft scissors (I'm on the go constantly, so they are my trusty travel scissors), and a ruler for checking my gauge. I also keep several other projects nearby. I get bored working on one project for a long period of time, so I usually have several projects going at once and I alternate working on them. Of course, I also have the cat nearby, always looking for a moment of inattention when he can pounce and try to run off with a ball of yarn and where the cat is, there is a small squirt bottle to keep him out of my yarn stash. lol

I have my hook case, which holds my small scissors, yarn needle, needle threader, and of course my ENTIRE collection of hooks. I must have a drink and maybe a snack, the TV Remote, a fan blowing on me if the weather is hot and a lap blanket if it is cold. A project bag to hold all of that and sometimes ferrets to raid the bag and try to steal anything plastic or rubberized they think may be in the bag.:D Also a lamp so I can work in a well lit area. Sometimes a pattern if I am doing a project I am not familiar with. (Actually had one ferret that tried to carry off the hook case but it was heavier than she was and we caught her before she got it off the bed LOL).

My two dogs ... they never seem to leave my side ... my two shadows ... LOL!

My cell phone ... don't use the house phone anymore.

And generally the TV remote ... lately in the afternoons I've been listening to the pro-baseballs games while I crochet.

:cheer

A magnifying glass, Kleenex, a good light, a pair of thread scissors, and usually a cup of tea or a glass of water. Sometimes, a yarn or tapestry needle, a stitch counter, twist ties and safety pins.

I usually have yarn, hooks, scissors, stitch markers, yarn needle, water or gatorade (I dehydrate way to easily), CD player or MP3 player or Cassette player for a book on tape (this really depends on the mood I'm in.) Pattern if I'm not familiar with it, paper and pen. Nail clippers for little snags on my nails, I don't like files, bother me for some unknown reason. And my baby who is part chichiuah, he has to be in my lap or he thinks he does. LOL I call him my crochet buddy.

Archived