Granny squares 2nd annual Happy Birthday Friendship/Comfortghan

ok maggie, thanks, lol, i will get to work, do you want all solids colors brights, or mix it up,. ;p;     love the pic of the donut eaters, lol they are adorable~~

hi ya arelene, did you post your pics here on the ville, i didn't get an email....... Jazziebug, cute.....

Thanks! Any colors are fine with me! Solids or mixed, it all works! :D

• Replies 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello.

I stopped at a local yarn shop on the way home today to register for a class on Saturday. They had some really yummy yarn but I didn't buy any, I spent enough money on the class. The class is spinning with a drop spindle. I bought a spindle, a book and fluffy stuff/roving a couple of years ago and attempted it on my own but didn't do too well so when I saw the class advertised I decided to go. Then I made a trip to Hobby Lobby and a stop at an education supply store. It's been a productive day. Now I need to work on some squares so I can get a birthday puffy in the mail before the end of the month. Have a good evening.

katy they should only build houses that stay dust free or else a system where you push a button and it sucks all the dust out. I had strong perfectionist tendencies and was compelled to vacuum every time dh walked through the living room but I got over it. I'm the dishwasher here. Mom and dad eventually got the other kind because it cut down on colds and flu. I never let dirty dishes pile up. Because space is really tight here I have to wash as I go. If we have dessert mine tastes better if the other dishes are done first. We were raised to clean up after meals and I always offer to help if I am at someone else's house. I also prefer to eat at the table. I hate being at events where I have to eat in the living room. It just feels awkward and I am afraid of fumbling my plate and making a mess. I never really wanted pets in the house either because that was just going to make more to clean up but I got over that too. I love the way your manghan turned out.

Rosie in this area we are rooting for thr Royals. I felt bad for the Mets ss that got his leg broken. That was a hard play to watch on the news.

Don't forget to go sign up for the Oct,Nov,Dec wishlist. Its really a lot of fun and you don't have to commit to sending out anything to receive.

Hi, all! I hope I can remember everything I wanted to say because I'm on my tablet and I guess technically I can quote posts, but it doesn't recognize the formatting and bunches all the quotes together and just generally makes things more difficult.

Katie, I am definitely not the best housekeeper. I come from a long line of women who aren't! I try to keep things okay enough to where I'm okay if someone pops by unexpectedly, but most of our friends live across town and think that we're just too far away. And also if I keep it halfway clean, I don't have so much work to do if someone makes plans to come by! I wouldn't necessarily eat off my floor, but I wouldn't be scared to eat in my house either! Lol

Lacey, I hope your hip stops hurting! Sister had a heck of a time with hers when she was pregnant. We always figured it had to do with the way your body adjusts to carrying a baby.

Brenda, I have good plans to post a wishlist, but I'm having a terrible time coming up with things to put on it. I'll have to spend some time thinking about it and I can post when we get home.

We've been having a good time visiting with my dad and everybody. It's a very small sleepy town so there isn't a lot to get into, but I'm catching up on my sleep and my stress level from the whole grandmother/uncle thing is coming down, thank goodness!

I think we'll be headed home on Friday so I'll be back to posting regular after that. I'm still reading and keeping up, I just don't always think to post when I'm on this thing.

I hope everyone is having a good week so far and I'll be back soon!

yarn_monkey yes please join the wishlist even if you just request Christmas cards. I really enjoy getting cards and postcards and its great if they add a little note. It's a good place to request squares and donations for charity work. Pattern requests seem to work well since they can be granted electronically. You can request yarn, something for Peanut. Its not hard after you get started. You might enjoy holiday or seasonal hotpads.

Hey everyone, I am feeling really good today. It is nice out, and cool.  Yes, I think fall is here.  I hope everyone is doing good.  If feels good to feel good for a change.  I am crocheting a lot. Got a lot to do. Got some things to get done for family. Any Ideas what to crochet my 84 yr old Mother who has everything. Not potholders. Did that already. No afghans. Did that. I got to come up with something she don't have. She collects dolls-porcelain or crochet. Stuff animal. She has all animals. Any idea ladies. Hope someone does. I will make it with 4-ply yarn.  HELP!   :bow  Ran out of ideas what to crochet her.  :hug Love Arlene

My Mother wouldn't wear a shawl. How do you do a hand towel? Thanks for Idea though. Good one.She wears stuff like short sleeve shirts or sweaters. Dress clothes. But not shawls. I thought of that to. Thanks :manyheart . She is in more like Angels, dolls, different animals. Her apartment look likes a craft store. She has crochet stuff, porcelain dolls, bears, etc. You name it she has got one.Her kitchen is the same. I done made her butterflies magnets, etc. She has all kind of kitchen stuff. She is hard to buy for. She don't wear no crochet items. I just got to come with something unusual.  :ty    Let me know  about how to the dish towel. Love Arlene

Hi everyone!

Sounds like you all are staying busy, me too. I'm fixing the straps on some sun dresses for my granddaughter and then I'm going to try layering and gathering paper streamers on the sewing machine, I want to use them on my bulletin board at school. Guess that's about it for me.

hey all, you are all so busy!!!   boy i feel as if i have been slacking these past couple days, lol, i have been working, but not on much too particular,.... and good, Maggie, cause i made them bright , and colorful!!!

Bgs makes wonderful towel holders snow bear, check with her too, for her favorites...everyone hav a great hump day!!!

Good morning all! Happy Thursday! Yesterday was a really busy day at the fire department, we had calls all day long! I did get some good hooking in though, between alarms, so my granny squares are looking nice now. I'm using the discontinued Bernat Mosaic yarn, in Pink Poodle, with white. I do adore some of the "self striping" yarns, I have several other colors as well, and can't wait to make stuff. (The Pink Poodle has been in my stash for just about 2 years, so I'm glad to make use of it!) 

With this afghan, I'm considering doing 12 5-6 inch squares in the c​enter of the afghan, the doing a few rounds in white, the smaller squares at both ends to make it longer and a little fancier. What do you think? 

Sometimes I have so many ideas running around my head I can't decide on just one! 

I'm also going to start some hats and scarves-the quick and thick kind, to put in my etsy shop.  (I have one-there's nothing in it!) 

rosie i watched the mets and cards too last night, and although not a real fan of either team, i had to root for st. louis, only cause their uniforms looked brighter and cleaner, and that bright red cardinal  across the front, lolol See above post, do you think  neat freak is too mild a word for me

at!!ha ha ha, but was a good game, none the less,Ir really only watch when the world series are on, but nohting much else was on tv last night, lol          glad your team did good though@!! :clap

I just love that you liked their uniforms for cleanliness value! The mets are Blue, black and Orange, so I just look at it-they don't show the dirt! Tonight is our make or break game in LA, so I'll be watching it, and pacing and chewing my nails, and pacing some more...

Hello.

I stopped at a local yarn shop on the way home today to register for a class on Saturday. They had some really yummy yarn but I didn't buy any, I spent enough money on the class. The class is spinning with a drop spindle. I bought a spindle, a book and fluffy stuff/roving a couple of years ago and attempted it on my own but didn't do too well so when I saw the class advertised I decided to go. Then I made a trip to Hobby Lobby and a stop at an education supply store. It's been a productive day. Now I need to work on some squares so I can get a birthday puffy in the mail before the end of the month. Have a good evening.

I have always been interesting in spinning, but I'm pretty sure I'd need some serious lessons! Let us know how it goes!!

Hope everyone feeling bad gets to feeling better.
Not much crocheting here till my hand heals.
Need to finish up the Midnight Brite blankets and move on to other stuff. Hopefully this weekend I can get some stuff done.

I hope your hand heals quickly! 

katy they should only build houses that stay dust free or else a system where you push a button and it sucks all the dust out. I had strong perfectionist tendencies and was compelled to vacuum every time dh walked through the living room but I got over it. I'm the dishwasher here. Mom and dad eventually got the other kind because it cut down on colds and flu. I never let dirty dishes pile up. Because space is really tight here I have to wash as I go. If we have dessert mine tastes better if the other dishes are done first. We were raised to clean up after meals and I always offer to help if I am at someone else's house. I also prefer to eat at the table. I hate being at events where I have to eat in the living room. It just feels awkward and I am afraid of fumbling my plate and making a mess. I never really wanted pets in the house either because that was just going to make more to clean up but I got over that too. I love the way your manghan turned out.

Rosie in this area we are rooting for thr Royals. I felt bad for the Mets ss that got his leg broken. That was a hard play to watch on the news.

Don't forget to go sign up for the Oct,Nov,Dec wishlist. Its really a lot of fun and you don't have to commit to sending out anything to receive.

Yep Dust free homes would be optimal! I'm not a stringent house keeper, (with 4 kids-3 of them boys, I'd lose my mind!) my house may not be neat, but it's clean. I have some clutter that I'm working on, but heck-I'll have time for that in the dead of winter. Not now-Autumn is too yummy to be inside all day!

Now that is an idea. Book markers. She read every night. Good idea. Now to find a pattern.  :ty  :ty  Love Arlene

Great idea! Post pictures when you're done! 

Have a wonderful day everyone!! I'm off to wake up the next wave of sleepyheads!

Good morning all. Wanted to poke my head in. I'm still down, I think my cold/flu or whatever it was has turned into bronchitis. 2 wks and 4 days, thought it was getting better but woke up coughing my head off again. grrrr. This too shall pass as they say. Oklahoma weather is not helping, we had some cool fall days and then it got hot, actually beat the record heat temp yesterday and another hot one today but a cool front tomorrow taking us back to the nice fall weather. 

I'm not a neat freak when it comes to cleaning house but I do try to keep it picked up and clean. I am a clutter bug it seems. I have downsized totally a few times both before and after Pat passed away but stuff seems to collect. As to dust, ugh. I'm out in the country so it's a never ending battle especially with hardwood floors. I can sweep and 2  hours later, there's dust, grass and yarn fuzzies back on it, it seems. I'm also the dishwasher but I'm ocd on that. I won't let anyone else do them cause I'm never sure they'll get them as clean as I think I can. lol 

I wasn't going to but went ahead and signed up for the Christmas list. Money's been a bit tight this year and with me sick, even worse yet but I've made a list and started working on it of wishes I think I can try and grant. I've been crocheting since I'm down but nothing is selling so I've been just trying new patterns and ideas, working on NICU hats, and gifts and have started back on squares for here. 

My dad's bday is Friday and mom's is next Wednesday so daughter and I are going to surprise them friday night and go over. My aunt and uncle are going as well. Daughter and I decided to try out those 2 ingredient cakes (cake mix + can pie filling or can of pop) and son in law was taste tester. That was a flop. Devils food choc cake + blackberry pie filling= very moist choco cake, hardly any blackberry taste but lots of annoying seeds. Strawberry cake + can rootbeer = moist strawberry with wangy aftertaste lol. Soooo, Mrs Fields pies are made here in my town and they have a shop you can buy them discounted. Think I'll pick up a pecan, pumpkin and maybe lemon and take but still wanted to get a cake as my mom has a thing for buttercream icing..... but they are so darn expensive. We'll see. 

Hope you are all doing well and feeling good. Weekend is sneaking up on us. Have a good one

Yesterday I got trees mulched into their winter quarters. Then I picked all the green tomatoes and all the green beans as I imagine a hard freeze is just days away. I spent the evening snapping beans instead of crocheting. Today I am going to clean the stairwell and bring trees and plants into the house. I hope I lost more than I gained over the summer as space is tight.

Sopo I hope you get to feeling better. It's been unusually hot and dry here for this time of year which I guess is good since we are running behind on prepping for winter. Glad you signed up for the wishlist. I think they help us get to know each other better. What have you been working on? I am needing some inspiration as I haven't seemed to be able to crochet much for the last month or so.

Hello all! It sounds like everyone is so busy getting ready for colder weather, and I'm over here like, "oh look, laundry!" I suppose I should get the plants inside sometime today. My mom would get pretty mad if I kill any more of her plants (I have a huge black thumb with potted plants). I'm hoping to get some hooking done here in a while before I start dinner, I'm making breakfast tonight lol I even have the biscuits done already! Got those done when I baked some muffins this morning...and they are so tasty!

I hope you are all having a great week and having lots of fun with whatever you all are doing! :hugs

Hello everyone!

Sopo, I hope you are feeling better.

Preparing for winter? Hmmmmm..... take out a sweater, ok I'm ready  :D

I've had a very nice day. My team at work did a potluck lunch today in honor of my birthday, we do lunches for everyone's birthdays. One of my coworkers made manicotti that was super yummy. Of course we had cake and ice cream too. My 2 aides gave me a cute card with a gift card for JoAnn's which I will have fun spending. My parents gave me a card with money so I will have even more fun shopping. And now I get to enjoy my evening crocheting. I hope everyone has a great evening.

uh oh rosie, here, we part ways, the mets are playing hhe dodgers,,,,,,,,gott go with the dodgers, i have to, its just the way it is, lol good luck to them both,eh.....should be a good game..after all, the y are wearing nice brightwhite  uniforms,    the mets are in  grey tonight,,,,,,,,,,,hummmmmmmmmmm....................

Good morning all! Happy Thursday! Yesterday was a really busy day at the fire department, we had calls all day long! I did get some good hooking in though, between alarms, so my granny squares are looking nice now. I'm using the discontinued Bernat Mosaic yarn, in Pink Poodle, with white. I do adore some of the "self striping" yarns, I have several other colors as well, and can't wait to make stuff. (The Pink Poodle has been in my stash for just about 2 years, so I'm glad to make use of it!) 

With this afghan, I'm considering doing 12 5-6 inch squares in the c​enter of the afghan, the doing a few rounds in white, the smaller squares at both ends to make it longer and a little fancier. What do you think? 

Sometimes I have so many ideas running around my head I can't decide on just one! 

I'm also going to start some hats and scarves-the quick and thick kind, to put in my etsy shop.  (I have one-there's nothing in it!) 

I just love that you liked their uniforms for cleanliness value! The mets are Blue, black and Orange, so I just look at it-they don't show the dirt! Tonight is our make or break game in LA, so I'll be watching it, and pacing and chewing my nails, and pacing some more...

I have always been interesting in spinning, but I'm pretty sure I'd need some serious lessons! Let us know how it goes!!

I hope your hand heals quickly! 

Yep Dust free homes would be optimal! I'm not a stringent house keeper, (with 4 kids-3 of them boys, I'd lose my mind!) my house may not be neat, but it's clean. I have some clutter that I'm working on, but heck-I'll have time for that in the dead of winter. Not now-Autumn is too yummy to be inside all day!

Great idea! Post pictures when you're done! 

Have a wonderful day everyone!! I'm off to wake up the next wave of sleepyheads!

i tove striping yarn, speicially for scarves!!  and that \ghan sounds intersting, i believe i made one similar to that once turned out great!!

well back to the game, uh, dodgers 2, that other team, 1      and imissed the run, dang it. lol      have fun all, enjoy your evening, gonna be a cool one here, and downright almost chilly morning tomorrow, brunch was today, i went, heart wasn't in it, still suffed up a bit, but company was good, so, see you later, games back......

Archived