Granny squares 2nd annual Happy Birthday Friendship/Comfortghan

• Replies 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well this part of the post i first wrote,lol       

Yesterday I got trees mulched into their winter quarters. Then I picked all the green tomatoes and all the green beans as I imagine a hard freeze is just days away. I spent the evening snapping beans instead of crocheting. Today I am going to clean the stairwell and bring trees and plants into the house. I hope I lost more than I gained over the summer as space is tight.

Sopo I hope you get to feeling better. It's been unusually hot and dry here for this time of year which I guess is good since we are running behind on prepping for winter. Glad you signed up for the wishlist. I think they help us get to know each other better. What have you been working on? I am needing some inspiration as I haven't seemed to be able to crochet much for the last month or so.

i dunno what to tell ya, i am there too, but forcing myself to finsih up a few things, should keep me busy tilll my mo jo returns bgs,and yeah, thatwould be terrif, had it happened, just like marty and doc said it woul!!!

Hello all! It sounds like everyone is so busy getting ready for colder weather, and I'm over here like, "oh look, laundry!" I suppose I should get the plants inside sometime today. My mom would get pretty mad if I kill any more of her plants (I have a huge black thumb with potted plants). I'm hoping to get some hooking done here in a while before I start dinner, I'm making breakfast tonight lol I even have the biscuits done already! Got those done when I baked some muffins this morning...and they are so tasty!

I hope you are all having a great week and having lots of fun with whatever you all are doing! :hugs

oh good, we like breakfast for dinner too now and then, sounds delish, lol

Hello everyone!

Sopo, I hope you are feeling better.

Preparing for winter? Hmmmmm..... take out a sweater, ok I'm ready  :D

I've had a very nice day. My team at work did a potluck lunch today in honor of my birthday, we do lunches for everyone's birthdays. One of my coworkers made manicotti that was super yummy. Of course we had cake and ice cream too. My 2 aides gave me a cute card with a gift card for JoAnn's which I will have fun spending. My parents gave me a card with money so I will have even more fun shopping. And now I get to enjoy my evening crocheting. I hope everyone has a great evening.

hi ysort, how nice a lunceon in your birthth honor, lol......... take out a sweather, ha , love it!!

katy dh pointed out that in the movie Back to the Future that the cubs win the world series in 2015. Wouldn't that be weird if they did?

The METWin! :dance I've been a fan since I was a tiny girl, and the stadium cheering for Utley made his strikeout very sweet! 

I'm exhausted, but pretty happy!

Anyway, Good morning, my friends! It's actually amazing how happy I am considering my (soon to be) Ex stole my children's computer last night. It was a Christmas gift to me 2 years ago, and he just took it! He's really one of the biggest dirtbags I can think of right now. Once again, my lawyer is going to have to force his lawyer to talk to him. I have an order of protection, and He had to stalk me to know when I was at a Fire Department meeting for an hour. Scary.

I hope to finish the final round of my squares today so I can start connecting. I love connecting squares-it makes me feel like I've accomplished something. It's friday, I haven't got a whole lot to do, so this could get done!

Have a great day!!

sorry  rosie, hope you get it back soon!!

I got the plants moved into the house yesterday and they all fit. :yay  :yay  Today I cleaned out the birdbath so we can get the bowl flipped over and bagged. At least today hasn't been as hot out and it seems as if there is a hint of a chill in the air.   I really need to get back to crocheting but just can't seem to get inspired to do much.  Looking forward to supper tonight although it kind of makes me sad too as it was something my dad often fixed for me as it was our favorite------ham and navy beans (beans from my garden), cornbread, wilted lettuce, and tomatoes.  I am glad we don't have cable so I am not forced to watch the baseball playoff game tonight.  I never liked watching baseball but didn't mind listening to it on the radio. 

katy I am glad you went to brunch.  I wish you would get back to feeling like your energizer bunny self.  Seems like this bout of sniffles has hung on way too long. 

well bgs heart wasnt in it, but the girls were good company, excet for an occasional phone call, we usually only see all of us on brunch days, lol

Royals to the win!!!!!!!!!

Yay! I did figure it out!!! GO ME! LOL

No crazy talk ladies - The ROYALS are gonna win it this year!! They're up 2-0 in their current series :D Woot Woot!!

ok well,,,,,,,,, now that i am almost satisfied that I have everything out of the house that goes to the dumpster,,, i feel better, lol

gotta tckle the bedroom closet one day soon, took the coats out,and hung them outside on a rope dh put up for just that reason,and they are all air out, they were cleaned before i put them away,but i don't like them to smell stored, or hung to long, or closety, lol, so i hung them outside,then put dryer sheets insid their garmet bags, and put them in thr front of the closet for now, no other place to put them,lol,but willbe soon.once i pack up all the summer wear,a chore for another day though,for sure.....

everyone have a great evening, handyman is on an estimate for a job up the street, but when he gets home, I think we'll just chill, tonight, you know like always, loll

Today was dh's birthday. We went to the zoo and stopped for lunch. Then we picked up our new glasses. dh was fine with his but not sure about mine. I went from lined bifocals to progressive trifocals. I was excited to be able to focus on things just beyond my arms length but I had problems reading the card she handed me especially the left side. I finally took them off as I was getting a horrible headache. I will try them again in the morning

Hi all. Happy bday to your hubby Brenda. Hope your glasses get better. Hope everyone else is good. I've been lurking and reading but can't remember 30 seconds ago it seems lol. Cough is still there but better. Had my parent's bday party friday night and they were real surprised and happy. I've been a bit down, was hoping I could do one last bike ride back to Arkansas this year, see the foliage but it's not looking probable. Homesick I guess. I've made some modified c2c scarves, some newborn hats (the dinosaur one was real cute), a newborn hat, diaper cover booties set for my mail lady's coming soon granddaughter and some more NICU hats in cupcake and halloween themes

http://www.crochetville.com/community/topic/155598-more-nicu-hats-cupcakes-and-halloween/ 

I also made a Celtic weave beanie for me, mainly to see if I could. 

http://www.crochetville.com/community/topic/155599-celtic-weave-beanie/

Just trying to stay busy so don't get too down. I've also have some squares to go out and am working on the wish list. Here's to a good week for us all. 

Wow! Busy days for everyone! I (mostly) finished the afghan, now to just weave in the ends and edge it! I'll post a pic when it's done, then show my mom the other pattern, and start on DD's. I'm just so proud of me :lol now to start that, then, I'm going to bed.

Good night all :hug s for all, I hope everyone had a great Monday, and has a great week! See you all later :)

Sopo I will be homesick with you. I would like to make it down to the Ozarks too. My dad was raised in what he called lapland---down where MO laps into AR. I used to spend the summers there with my grandmother on her farm. The nicu hats are adorable and I love the texture on the Celtic weave hat. You did a super job on all of them

wow big lotta posts here ha ha i have been messing with yard stuff, also cleaning up and going through things as we only have this huge dumpster in our neighborhood a few more days, and it takes anything, so about 20 trips down there already, lol, not ounting the leaf bags, and today im paying for it, althouh the alergies are more manageable, cept when someone nearby mows or something....Hi Jessicali, good to see you girl!!! 

Carol, spinning huh, lol......good luck

bgs, yes, the royals will pull it off this time, i rooting unfortunatley for the cubs, as i flet bad for them, they haven't done a series since 2908!!!

anything else i missed ommnenting on, i had it alld down once, and lost my post,,,,,,,,,grrrrrrrrr, now Im just too short on time and patience to re write it all again, lol...

I am going to do another give away,as i found two or three plastic canval kleenex covers, so look for that soon!! Im alsofinishing up a brithts granny ghan to, just have the edging to do........days to decide how, lol.......

oh i know, does anyone use felt quite a bit?? and if so, how could one incorporate felt into something with yarn, lol, I have found some, so was wondering, as something in side me says, don't give it up just yet katie!

any ideas, remember now, i don't sew........a little handstitchin such as putting toether squares,but thst is as good as it gets, lol

wonering if it would be good to line insdie of a potholder, just tack it down,and put the two sides ofi it together!!

I missed this yesterday, but I think you could use felt on some crocheted things... I'd put it on the backs of coasters for a little added absorption and furniture protection. I don't see why you couldn't line a potholder with it, as long as it's not any sort of acrylic in the felt or it could melt. I think it's a great idea! 

I need help in locating a pattern for mario's hat and overalls. Crochet of course. Thanks

What sort of size are you looking for on the overalls? Here are two patterns for hats. It probably wouldn't be too hard to change the size if you needed to. One here and another here

Today was dh's birthday. We went to the zoo and stopped for lunch. Then we picked up our new glasses. dh was fine with his but not sure about mine. I went from lined bifocals to progressive trifocals. I was excited to be able to focus on things just beyond my arms length but I had problems reading the card she handed me especially the left side. I finally took them off as I was getting a horrible headache. I will try them again in the morning

The zoo sounds like a fun trip! We have one down the road from us and we never have been. It's kind of expensive and between DH and I, we could drive to the closest DC metro station, take the metro in and get into the National Zoo there for cheaper. Hopefully the glasses are just a matter of getting used to them. I know my dad had issues with his regular bifocals and I have those issues when my lenses in my regular glasses is changed. 

Hi all. Happy bday to your hubby Brenda. Hope your glasses get better. Hope everyone else is good. I've been lurking and reading but can't remember 30 seconds ago it seems lol. Cough is still there but better. Had my parent's bday party friday night and they were real surprised and happy. I've been a bit down, was hoping I could do one last bike ride back to Arkansas this year, see the foliage but it's not looking probable. Homesick I guess. I've made some modified c2c scarves, some newborn hats (the dinosaur one was real cute), a newborn hat, diaper cover booties set for my mail lady's coming soon granddaughter and some more NICU hats in cupcake and halloween themes

http://www.crochetville.com/community/topic/155598-more-nicu-hats-cupcakes-and-halloween/ 

I also made a Celtic weave beanie for me, mainly to see if I could. 

http://www.crochetville.com/community/topic/155599-celtic-weave-beanie/

Just trying to stay busy so don't get too down. I've also have some squares to go out and am working on the wish list. Here's to a good week for us all. 

The hats are lovely!  :manyheart Talking about making a c2c scarf, you inspired me to use my RH Team Spirit in a c2c scarf. I was having trouble deciding on a pattern and those work up quickly enough to have it done in time for the game on Sunday. Thank you!  :)

We didn't do much today. I haven't been feeling so well, that time of the month and all, so I got up and had my coffee and got cleaned up in time for lunch and then went and took a nap. We ran to Walmart this evening to pick up Grandmother's new desk, then Target and picked up dinner at Sonic. Nothing fancy, but it fed us and I didn't have to make it! I can't postpone the trip to the grocery store much longer so I think that will have to happen tomorrow. Hopefully Grandmother's air card for the computer will be in and I can go pick that up too. 

Okay off to work on this c2c scarf a little bit more before bed. I hope everyone had an okay Monday!  :)

Hi! My name is Holly. Nice to meet you all! ;)  Seriously, it's been an awfully long time since I popped in here. I haven't been doing lots of crocheting or chatting or anything lately. I'm going to try to get in here more.

Hi! My name is Holly. Nice to meet you all! ;)  Seriously, it's been an awfully long time since I popped in here. I haven't been doing lots of crocheting or chatting or anything lately. I'm going to try to get in here more.

Hi Holly!! I feel the same way! Like when I post no one knows who I am because I've not been on in such a long time!! Haha!~

Sopo I will be homesick with you. I would like to make it down to the Ozarks too. My dad was raised in what he called lapland---down where MO laps into AR. I used to spend the summers there with my grandmother on her farm. The nicu hats are adorable and I love the texture on the Celtic weave hat. You did a super job on all of them

I, too, was raised in the Ozarks... Right on the Missouri/Arkansas state line. Loved it, but I enjoy being as close to everything that I am right now! We're 20 minutes from Kansas City, but our house is right on a lake. 

I lived on the AR MO border too. Lead Hill / Diamond City area on Bull Shoals Lake. After 20 years and finding out my great grandma is buried there, I always claim Harrison as my home town. <sigh> still praying to go visit. But for now, will thank God for a home even if it's in Oklahoma. lol Seriously though, too many without one to not be thankful. 

Nikki, a variation of the c2c is instead of 3 dc in each box, do a 1dc, ch 2, 1 dc.  I've been doing this with Caron SS and it makes a more open but  really nice soft spongy scarf. 

Thanks Brenda. Well another day my friends. 

jessicali and howieann we are always glad when our mia's come back. We always wonder about them and hope they are okay. jessicali if I remember correctly you lived around Thayer. I have been to the Grand Gulf. Now we are almost neighbors. Sopo I have been through Harrison as thats where you have to decide whether to take scenic 7 or 65 when we were going to Hot Springs, Amity, and Crater of Diamonds. I remember the ads for Dogpatch theme park but never went. I remember when Silver Dollar City opened and there wasn't much but the train and the cave. I always liked watching the glassblowers. My grandmother's farm was in Douglas county near the Christian county line. The nearest named area was called Crossroads but you have to be looking at a very old map. They also lived in Taney County. Dad and his sisters graduated from Ava High School. We visited great aunts at Kissee Mills and Forsyth. The one taught school for many years in Forsyth. Other familiar places are Bradleyville and Brown Branch. Grandma and grandpa each had like 8 siblings each so there was much family in S MO and N AR. I have spent a lot of time playing in Little Beaver creek. Guess maybe thats too much reminiscing.

Sopo thanks for the idea of making c2c scarves. Thats a great idea

wow bgs, i lve IN Douglas counly in nebraska, and have been to kc, and another small town that i cant remember the name of, lol, so cool, we're all connected,somehOW!!  those c2c scarves, are fun!!!   and we have a Crossroads Mall here in Omaha,well, for a while yet. soon to be something else i guess, daughter worked there in a dept store. Dillards, me thinks, an too, either Pennys, or yonkers, she modeled for them before that.

when she was younger also for those of you athat might remember that store, i don't know if it was just locally, or not, gone now, as so many of the major stores are... she worked asl beauty consultant...... and if that isnt enough, harrisonCOUNTY IS HERE IN neb too, and Harrison St, divides Sarpy co, from which i used to live and work, and Douglas co. where i now live lol    Its a small small world after all!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh, and we live about 3 blocks from a lake too!!!!!!! course the river is way the other way, east, lol but i hear the missouri runs trhough your state too, lol,how bout that...I  bet we all could connect, somehow if we really thought about it, lol

so got all the coats all garmet bagged up and put away, found room in my closet after all, therefor putting off cleaning it out, for another coupla weeks, he he he...

SO all for now, gotta work on that giveaway im gonna post, if any of you are interested, heads u p, lol check it out, ok, thanks, and see ya all soon, did anyone have any ideas about the felt i found, what it could be used for, or something. thanks again.

jessicali and howieann we are always glad when our mia's come back. We always wonder about them and hope they are okay. jessicali if I remember correctly you lived around Thayer. I have been to the Grand Gulf. Now we are almost neighbors. Sopo I have been through Harrison as thats where you have to decide whether to take scenic 7 or 65 when we were going to Hot Springs, Amity, and Crater of Diamonds. I remember the ads for Dogpatch theme park but never went. I remember when Silver Dollar City opened and there wasn't much but the train and the cave. I always liked watching the glassblowers. My grandmother's farm was in Douglas county near the Christian county line. The nearest named area was called Crossroads but you have to be looking at a very old map. They also lived in Taney County. Dad and his sisters graduated from Ava High School. We visited great aunts at Kissee Mills and Forsyth. The one taught school for many years in Forsyth. Other familiar places are Bradleyville and Brown Branch. Grandma and grandpa each had like 8 siblings each so there was much family in S MO and N AR. I have spent a lot of time playing in Little Beaver creek. Guess maybe thats too much reminiscing.

Sopo thanks for the idea of making c2c scarves. Thats a great idea

soo gulladd to see jess, and holly back, course we remember you both, lol glad to see you back, and if there is anything i can do for you, let me know!!!!

Hi ya Holly, It great to have ya.  Have a nice evening. Love Arlene :welcome

You could buy kitchen towels with bears and roosters then crochet a topper onto it or a holder where you can change the towel. I have purchased appliques and sewn them to towel toppers or purchased special buttons when I couldn't crochet that special something

Well, I would do that. But I have never crochet topper on reg. kitchen towels. So, I don't think I would good at that. But great idea, though. :manyheart

katy its a small world when you do genealogy too.  dh's family lived in northern MO in Harrison county and they came from Harrison county IN but I don't think they lived in Harrison county KY.  The came from Bourbon county KY.  Crossroads was basically an old country store where you could buy gas, basic groceries and livestock feed and many years ago also housed the PO.  They also bought my grandma's eggs. 

sopo my neighbors here have a place on Bull Shoals with a couple of trailers.  Even though their place is in AR their mailing address is Protem MO.  I have been there once.  That's getting pretty close to where you used to live isn't it?

Snowbear here is a really simple one.  You don't attach the towel. 

http://lemonlaneblog.wordpress.com/pattern-place/basic-towel-ring/

Here is another one.

http://made-by-fabi.blogspot.com/2012/10/howtocrochetatowelholder.html

So cute!!  :yes

I hope you feel better tomorrow!  :hug Here are some patterns I found... Bear Coasters, Bear Potholder (and the beehive potholder that goes with it), Chicken Coasters, Chicken Potholder, and another Chicken Potholder. I hope those help!  :)

Brenda, I'm going to go work on that wish list as soon as I finish this post!  :D

Well, Sister and I had lunch with Uncle today. It went okay. We got his side of things and I have even less of an idea of what caused it all than I did to begin with. Sigh. Oh well. Can't fix everything, right??

After lunch, Sister and I needed retail therapy so we had a stop at Joann's and a stop at Target. I got 2 skeins of RH Team Spirit at Joann's and 2 skeins of Paton's Glam Stripes. The Glam Stripes was marked down to $1.97 and it rang up at $.97!  :yay  I'm thinking about a pineapple shawl with it. The team spirit yarn will be a scarf for football games.  :yes

Tomorrow, DH and I will have to go pick up the new computer desk for my grandmother. We should probably make a trip to the grocery store, too, but we'll surprise DH with that later!  ;)

Okay, off to work on this wishlist! I hope everyone had a good weekend! 

Thanks, for the ideas. :ty

Hi everyone!  :waving 

I just re-found the Ville over the weekend and it is good to be back!! I remember many of you sent my daughter and me squares. I put hers together for her but never got around to making mine.. :no  After Christmas is behind me, that would be a great thing for me to do..

I have been reading the last couple of days or so posts to try to catch up.. I remember a lot of your usernames. :)  and bgs -  I do genealogy also.. Sorry I know nothing about your locale as I'm down here in Alabama and havent gotten to ever travel that far north.

oh well, just wanted to pop in and see how everyone was getting along. 

Archived