Granny squares 2nd annual Happy Birthday Friendship/Comfortghan

Congratulations Howieann! I had a feeling it was going to be you this month. I will get some squares made up for you.

Reiann, your afghan looks great!

I went to Walmart this morning and got it out of the way. Then vacuumed the floors. And now I'm going to play in my sewing room for a while. I'm meeting my daughter at the movies later, we're going to see Maleficent.

Have a great day everyone!

• Replies 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well Ms,.Carol,have fun at the movies, and how did you know,lol, did you have flash from the future queendom history, lol its' getting easier to guess, as there are fewer to yet be crowned, and I hope when the time comes, they answer thier pms, or I will have to move on to the next........AAACK, lol and they will miss thier turn......

Are we all having fun yet???????

Im home from the grocery, just picked up a few things, and some already made and fried  chicken for dinner tonight, he he he, I have a hankerin' for some KFC, lol

Had a slice of meatloaf from the deli for lunch, gotta say, i make better, haha, but it did it's duty, and filled me up I guess, so not complaining.

I found the cake flour I have been looking for at the store today too, so I can try the 1234 cake, I think Paula Dean, but it's on the box of the cake flour I got too, sooooo I duuno. I missed it I guess before, as it comes in a box, like pancake mix you know, and all the other flours, were in bags,,,,,sheesh!   So when I try that cake, I will let you all know!!!

I also bagged and will ship out tomorrow, two puffy enfelopes for two people, our new queen, and our nesest member, Penny! So heads up ladies, in3 to 5 days, lol

All for now, back to my c2c Im about half way, a little less, before I can start to decrease on it, and hopefully finish it up in the next few days. By my estimation, it should then be about 50inches square, give or take a couple, then doing a border too, sooooooo, lol It's fun, it's easy, goes quickly, only had to rip out one row so far, cause It didn't look right, turned out I missed a whole bunch of four, sooooo fixed that and moved on.....

I've only seen cake flour in boxes,well heck you now can get buttermilk powder in a canister,thats very handy for me and much less waste,since so little is used in a recipe

reiann, its a pretty afghan

Rusty's mom, I find it frustrating when they choose to block newsletters that I have signed up for.  I can think of several that I was receiving and now do not get even though they are listed in my safe to receive address folder.  At least if they were in my spam folder I could retrieve them.  I am not sure if the senders started doing something different because there are a couple of instances where I was receiving them, then they stopped coming for a year or so and then they are coming through again.  It's aggrevating.   

owlvamp, it takes a wise person to know when to walk away, your grandsons are lucky that you love them so much to put up with the grief you take to be a part of their lives.

congrats howieann, I have pm'd you for mailing info.

Well last eveming I put a pizza in  and turned the oven on only to hear it buzz.  Opened the door to see the back corner of the element emitting sparks and a bright yellow light.  I wound up rolling the pizza up and broiling it instead.  We made a run into KC for the part, making 3 marina visits to drop off USCGA boating safety info while we up that way.  We put the new element in the oven when we got  home.  I'm thankful it wasn't a Thanksgiving morninig just as I put the turkey in.  

yikes Brenda,thats scary

we had the top electric element explode on us one morning,good thing no one was standing close,could have gotten hurt,so one element,drip rim and tea pot later,hasn't done it again,but it makes you leery sometimes

wow bgs, you just got the washer back, and no the element, we had an element go out on my oven, the morning it was my turn for brunch.........I improvised, and that is how egg salad stuffed muffins came into being, lol....the appliane God giveth, the APPLIANCE God, taketh away, lol       glad it's fixed.

Oh pineknott, the element exploding on top of the stove sounds horribly dangerous.  I don't know how old this stove is.  He had it when I moved out here in '97 and  he got it used. i don't mind used but the oven and storage unit handles were (and still are) rickety and the chrome flecking off   We replaced this element in 2001 and the broiler one in 2008.  The gasket around the oven where the door closes has disintegrated and fallen off in places.  I checked the oven temp with a thermometer and it seems to get to the right temps.  While I was at the part store today I asked about it and he said they run $50 to $100 and would have to order it in.  I couldn't believe that 3 yards of a narrow strip of heat resistant rubber like material would cost so much---maybe he misunderstood what I was asking about.  

we went through the old stove bit,don't know how old it was when we bought the house in '85,it lasted till about '96-'97

the oven just up and totally crapped out,this a sears model,but Sears or manufactures are not what they used to be,some burners you can boil water on 2,me thinks that's a rather hot 2 setting

Waaaaaahahaha, I'd gotten started on a post and then somehow hit the back button and it went away! ~^_^~ And nowwww DH put on Coupling and it's reeeeally hard to concentrate. Like really hard.

brenda, unfortunately that sort of price wouldn't surprise me if I was looking for something like that from our suppliers at work - anything that has to go through the heating and cooling process so many times over hundreds of degrees has to be pretty tough.

pineknott, that would be too funny if you'd run into Cindy and didn't realise it!

Katie, I've never tried a C2C granny afghan, but that looks really neat. I think I'll need to try one sometimes; I had a C2C pattern but I've had so much trouble with it; it keeps coming out not square. Oh man, and now it's Adventure Time and this is even worse. For concentrating, I mean.

Ok, before I get totally lost, I found a picture of my squares layout. It's going to take forever to finish of course :D but at least I know how it's going together once everything's edged, darn it! :lol There, one clear one and one blurry one where you can see the colors. ^_^

We had a wonderful vacation, in spite of sunburn, and Little Viking had a wonderful time with his Grana while we were gone. But I need to go to bed so I will fill y'all in tomorrow. I hope? If not tomorrow, probably after the holiday, since we're going away again. Yay vacation!

post-62070-0-46943100-1404269246_thumb.jpg

post-62070-0-89058200-1404269267_thumb.jpg

My aunt left a bag of granny squares for me at my moms house! I'm excited! I think that will be my next project....

We made it into Chicago last night around 8:30. Then we had some drama at the airport because someone had left a bag unattended in the bridge that links the baggage claim/check in area and the terminals. So we couldn't get out and no one could get in. We waited about 40 minutes while they checked it out. We were in Las Vegas for a library conference. We were gone 5 days and the girls were so excited to see us! It's time for a little sleep, though!

I'm excited to be the queen this month and will do my best to wear the crown well! :)

Good Morning Everyone!

Katie, I looked at the list of who hadn't been queen yet and Howieann's name was the one that jumped out at me, just a gut feeling.

Reiann, yay for the bag of squares.

VikingRunnerGirl, that is going to be a beautiful afghan.

I didn't know stove and oven elements could explode (guess I've been a bit sheltered or living under a rock) now you all have me scared of my stove.  :lol

I have squares ready for our Queen and newest member, just need to PM Penny for her address.

I really enjoyed seeing Maleficent yesterday. Today I plan to sew. Guess that's it for me, have a great day.

Hi ladies!

We survived the trip out here. It wasn't pleasant, but we made it. We loaded the truck last Monday with the help of friends and arrived in VA on Wednesday. An old friend came to help and brought several young men from his church to help us unload. It was amazing! We have the bedrooms and living room mostly put together and the kitchen is done. The dining room is a disaster though! It is filled with misc stuff like linens, the guitars, and all the empty boxes. It's hard getting work done with 3 small children though.

Pineknott--we should get together some time!

Katy-I can resume receiving squares as soon as I send you my new addy.

I better get busy. Lulu is sleeping but she doesn't sleep for very long!

viking, I guess you are right, but it was more than an element so it surprised me, and then to factor in it seems to be doing okay with a good deal of it missing.  Lab equipment was always so expensive that I could not relate it to world and to think they turned me loose with screw drivers on them to  change out parts when they broke down.  The afghan layout looks good.  It seems like it would be quite a challenge using multiple sized squares.  

pineknott, I haven't even looked at stoves to see what was out there.  This one seems to work okay and I am used to it now.   I had always cooked on gas stoves until I came out here.  

Cindy I am glad you made it okay and are settling in.  

cshort, it looked like a fat 4th of July sparkler going off in the back of the oven.  Hmm maybe I should have Jim bring his fireman gear home for me to wear when cooking at the stove.....................no, its too hot and cumbersome.......I'll take my chances.  

dragn anything  :manyheart  :manyheart  to report

reiann, hope you have fun with the squares,  I inherited boxes of them from an aunt, so many that's its been overwhelming.  She did the knot and clip short business on most of the ends so I am spending a lot of time looking for them and tacking them down with sewing thread.  Some are truly scrap squares as she used several short lengths of yarn to make a square.  The time it takes me to do this I could make the squares faster.

katy, I just finished a 15 inch square to use as a dog mat in the c2c pattern at the red heart site and I really liked doing it.  After I got going on it I realized that a few years ago I made a dishcloth in thread that was basically the same thing.  

Cindy,glad you made it to Va. safely,we'll have to see when our schedules match up,in which of our fair cities did you locate to?

Bgs,when ours quit,of course it was close to the holiday,in those years we baked a lot,so we couldn't put it off,hope yours lasts a good long while

Viking, the ghan looks amazing

HIIIIIIII everyone!! Well,so happy to see Cindy back, and all settled in almost!! welcome back, and to viking too, even though she is going away again, welcome back to you too!!!

That ghan is gorgeous viking, love the colors!

How many of us here, have an electric stove, or a gas stove, I have always had electric, my mom had  gas all the time we were growing up in her house.

I have had electric inevery place I have lived, ,but when we moved here, there was only a gas hook up, so handyman and I insisted on putting in new coaxial ( I think that is what he called the wiring) and put a line and breaker, and or whatever he needed to do, for the stove to be electric!! , it ws bought new,  and we have only replaced one element so far, and that was noticed, cause it stopped heating up,nothing as drastic as an blown up one, lol maybe that is more of an old stove feature, i dunno.

Cshort, you have squares ready for the new member and queen too, lol, just like me, I like to get those out as ap, and today,forgot all about taking them with me when i went out, but tomorrow for sure, ladies, so sorry about that....

Pineknot and family doing ok ?? and mil settling in better i hope and freeing up some of you precious time, you were burning the candle at both ends for quite a while, and deserve a break!!

Reiann, i would love it if someone gifted me squares, scrap or otherwise, I would relish making them "whole""  and making something gorgeous from all of them i would feel as if I saved them from a certain death, in some thrift store somewhere out there! lol

Anyone I forgot hi ya, and happy to see ya!!

Tomorrow is a new day,I will get those puffy's out,and I will work on my c2c, that's cute about remembering the dishcloth too, as she had a vid for that, showing how to decrease she refered us too, soooo, that was good.

Parts are expensive bgs, for those ovens and stoves. I think back then a couple years ago, we must have paid, seems like either 50 or 80 for ours, with handymans pro. discount too, soo I dunno, gotta have um,what ya gonna do I sure don['t want to go back to the old days and have to bring in wood likie they did, no thank you....We had TWO fire places where i grew up,and we were forever bringing in wood for the wood box from the stacks of it outside. I think we must have ordered it,l cause I don't remember anyone ever having to cut firewood, it was just always there, lol not for cooking or heat, but just to have a comfy fire in the winter time,warmed the rooms up so cozy... Specially around holidays!!

ah, but i digress to the days gone by!!  

well  i have had my ramblings for the day, lol so wll catch you all later, it's chilly almost here today, and cloudy, looked like rain all day, never did though. That is how it must be in the gulf states, lots of over cast days?? anyone comment and set me straight on that, lol  that is what I imagin it would be like anyway......

Hurricane, too coming, maybe,,,,,,,,,,,,yikes!!!! .

katy, cooler here today also.  i thought it was nice out but Jim had to get a light jacket to wear.  i didn't think the element was terribly expensive  at $38 but in 2001 it was only $25  I can remember a grandma using the wood cookstove, heating with wood, outhouses, etc  and I have cooked on our wood heating stove when the electricity was out for a week back in 2001.  I have helped on cutting firewood.  I loaded it/stacked it and split some of the pieces.  The older I get the more I realize I really appreciate indoor plumbing, hot water at the turn of a faucet, electric lights,ac, etc.  "Camping" or 'roughing it" is no longer much fun.  I grew up using a gas stove and always had a gas stove until I moved out here where we are totally electric.  

well cindy, keep safe, looks like the hurricane will hit the outer banks on the east coast, Im glad I am inland, and land locked, where only things as blizzards, floods, and tornados visit, no earthquakes, volcanos, hurricanes, tsunamis, or tropical storms, thrown in, which when one thinks of it, its all mother nature, flexing her muscle, she is srtong, and demands respect!!

My husband picked out the colors for his Afghan, the skeins I ordered for it should get here by the 9th. I just wish I could use my bigger hook but he doesn't want big gaps between the yarn so i'll continue w the hook I used for my blanket. He actually chose purple as one of the colors which is awesome. Mom goes to Hershey for more tests on the 11th. Her and dad are going to our campground in the mountains for a few days and jj has two days of shows. Ill go to one of them, have to sacrifice one for college work.

Good morning! I've been without internet/cable/phone since Monday nite when two big storm lines went through. Comcast just got back up, which is who I use for all three. Been odd not to be able to be online! I've missed a lot, if anyone asked me anything, please now ask again. Otherwise, just saying hi!

My mother is coming up on the train tomorrow and staying the weekend. Kiddles is very excited. At least the weather is supposed to be good!

Cindy, stay safe!

kuddles

Archived