Granny squares 2nd annual Happy Birthday Friendship/Comfortghan

• Replies 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a GREAT day today. Was at work minding my own business waiting on customers. this guy comes up and he has a shirt on that says "I am not the boss I just know what you should be doing" He bought himself and a couple guys with him a drink. they left after buying it and a few hours later He is back. buying a pop and a pack of smokes for one of the guys he works with. I remembered the shirt,,, So I said didnt I see you once already today? and he replies.... "You can see me alot more if you want."  OMG I turned 3 shades of red. They left and he told me he would see me later. Well this was 1030 and I was supposed to leave at 11. My boss asked me to stay a couple more hours....  About 1230 I was waiting on a customer and heard someone at the pop machine. Looked over and there he was. lol  We talked for a few. He does home remodeling. I asked what house in Orleans (town we are in) they were working on. he told me there were working in Mitchell. 6 miles away.  thiis man drove 6 miles to buy a pop from Hucks so he could see me again. this time when he left he winked at me. LOL When he bought the ciggerettes I had to ask his Bday so I know he is 7 years older then me. 

Kinda dissappointed that i am off work the next two days lol

dragn. thank you I am much better.  I knew I was getting too hot and there was no way to cool off but to leave (after the hike back up the hill).  Others were packing up to leave so I told Jim we should leave too.  Hey I thought that was super that your gift card had twice as much on it than you thought---wonderful surprise.  Congrats on your fun day at work.  Even if it doesn't turn into to anything it is fun to dream about and then again he may turn out to be Mr. Right.  

Rusty's mom and pineknott after your comments now I know while I never tried one of the panel afghans----I have a devil of a time making two of anything turn out the same size

Viking sorry about your uncle   :hug 

aw so sorry Bgs, i think you got overheated...Hope you are feeling better by now....and yay for the washer, no more laundromat!!!!!! happy late birthday Brenda!!!!!!!

katy,  I hadn't turned the computer on since Fri afternoon.  We went to the picnic (1 hour and 45 min drive one way) on Sat and it was hot.  The shelter house was a long walk from the parking area.  You could drive down to unload but had to go back to park.  Then the restrooms were farther away than the parking lot--100 yards uphill from the shelter house.  It was okay at first because there was a nice breeze but then it stopped.   I got too hot and didn't feel good the rest of the night.  Sun I went to the laundromat.  Then we went to the genealogy library in Independence.  On the way back we stopped at JoAnn's and then Red Robin for my birthday burger.  My new washer came today so we have been busy moving furniture, etc around.  I have a headache and am really tired and almost did not turn the computer on tonight.  

Om my, such is the luck eh, lol poor Rusty, must think mama has finally lost it!!   And yes, you are certainly still a member, lol loved your story!!! made me chuckle too....been there, done that, as Pineknott says, he he...It's all a part of the process of cr0chet!! I had never heard of the word frogging, for unraveling work, so I asked one time, and someone told me,

it's frogging because of the ripping out, Rip it, Rip it,       lol resembles Ribbit Ribbit!!! I do have to put on my magnifiers however to read your font missy,,,,,,,,lol       

Hi everybody!

sorry I haven't been posting for the past few weeks. I have been very busy here knitting on my stashghan.  Last week I stopped knitting strips to correct a mistake I made back in November or December of last year. When this happened, I dismissed it.  This is what happened:  I had just started the stashghan last year.  I thought of my own pattern to make it.  This was very simple.  I had decided to knit strips of different colors so I started with one color and I knit some strips one day.  I didn't write the number of stitches that I chose to cast on, but this was no problem. I have a good memory and when I do this I remember the number of stitches to cast on. The next morning, I began again to knit some strips.  I had just picked up my needles and yarn when somebody knocked at the door.  The person at the door was the man who helps that lady who does the heavy housecleaning for me.  I had not expected him to come that day, but he did.  I heard his knock and asked who it was and he identified himself and I told him to come it and when he did, he was asking me something about what he was supposed to do that day. I was ignoring him so that I could go on and cast on the stitches, but he was continuing to talk and I was trying to cast on stitches and finally I realized that this was not going to happen as long as the man was talking to me because he had not realized what I was trying to do so I answered his question and then he asked me something else which I also answered and then he went into another room. Of course, by this time I had forgotten the number of stitches to cast on because he had been talking to me.  I finally decided on the number 60 to cast on because I thought that this was the number.  However this was not the correct number to cast on as I found out several days later.  I had knit enough strips to fill the other easy chair and I decided to put these somewhere so that I could continue. I put them in a 13 gallon garbage bag.  As I did this, I discovered that some of the strips were one length and quite a few were a longer length.  I decided to let this go and deal with it later.  Since then I have been knitting the longer strips because I don't remember the number of stitches I cast on to knit the shorter strips. I know that I could have counted the stitches on the short strips, but that didn't occur to me at the time.  I have been telling myself that I will alternate the strips (long, short, long) but that doesn't make me happy because I know that if that man had not been talking to me then I would have cast on the correct number of stitches and everything would be right.  Last week, I decided to do something about the mistake.  There were three ways that I could fix it.  They are: 1. unravel the long strips. 2.  unravel the short strips. 3. unravel the whole thing and start over.  I realized that the third choice would be the best for me because there are not enough short strips to alternate with the long ones.  I decided to do one of two things:  unravel the long strips and when I find a short strip count the stitches in that and then knit the unraveled yarn into short strips or unravel the whole thing and start over with the same colors and a completely new pattern.  I am presently (last week and yesterday) unraveling long strips of yarn.  Rusty doesn't understand why I am unraveling the knitted strips that he's seen me knit.

Hope everyone is doing well. Katy, am I still an active member. If not, please let me know as I still would like to remain here. 

Hi  vIKING, hows the tooth doing, or should  i say, did they save it. I once swallowed a temporary cap from a root canal,,,,no harm done, however, lol So sorry about uncle Bill...condolences to you and yours......

Could be goldfinches, yeah. I didn't know they ate petals, too, though come we did see a finch (either house or purple) eating flower petals in our own back yard a few weeks ago. I'd never seen a bird eat flowers before - seeds, yes; I've seen finches on the rudbeckia type seedheads all the time munching away, but to munch the whole flower? That was a new one on me! So yeah, sounds like goldfinches to me. :)

We're still going on our vacation this weekend, but... I got a message from my mom yesterday that her Uncle Bill (who was also our Uncle Bill, even though he was really our great uncle) passed away yesterday morning. He'd been in a nursing home, and didn't have much memory left... so it's one of those cases where he's probably much more peaceful now, and you could say that the real Uncle Bill had already been gone for a while. But it still sucks.

Uncle Bill had a sub shop when we were kids, and every Friday the family would go there for dinner. So of course we loved going to Nana's on a Friday because it meant that we got to go to "Uncle Bill's store" where we could sit at the bar stools and order whatever we wanted (usually pizza for me, but sometimes I got a club sandwich) and make mazes on the countertops out of the sugar packets balanced against each other. I still love Wise Cheese Doodles because of getting them there with. Oh gosh. I haven't cried at all yet but suddenly thinking of Cheese Doodles I'm welling up.

Every time we visited my grandmother I'd tell DH all about Uncle Bill's store, though it's been closed for years now (well, actually it's open again, but it's somebody else and not the same at all). I'd finally tapered off when we had Little Viking, so now he's got to hear it all over again and again because now I have to tell the little guy about it each time we go up.

Ok, I have to leave for a root canal in about fifteen minutes and i need to go eat. See you later!

Hi everyone, its been a while since ive been on. Just wanted to say hello and :hug for everyone

Hi Lacey, hows life going for ya???

I had a GREAT day today. Was at work minding my own business waiting on customers. this guy comes up and he has a shirt on that says "I am not the boss I just know what you should be doing" He bought himself and a couple guys with him a drink. they left after buying it and a few hours later He is back. buying a pop and a pack of smokes for one of the guys he works with. I remembered the shirt,,, So I said didnt I see you once already today? and he replies.... "You can see me alot more if you want."  OMG I turned 3 shades of red. They left and he told me he would see me later. Well this was 1030 and I was supposed to leave at 11. My boss asked me to stay a couple more hours....  About 1230 I was waiting on a customer and heard someone at the pop machine. Looked over and there he was. lol  We talked for a few. He does home remodeling. I asked what house in Orleans (town we are in) they were working on. he told me there were working in Mitchell. 6 miles away.  thiis man drove 6 miles to buy a pop from Hucks so he could see me again. this time when he left he winked at me. LOL When he bought the ciggerettes I had to ask his Bday so I know he is 7 years older then me. 

Kinda dissappointed that i am off work the next two days lol

Oh gosh, you are too cute!!!!! Me thinks me smells a romance blooming!!!!!!!

dragn. thank you I am much better.  I knew I was getting too hot and there was no way to cool off but to leave (after the hike back up the hill).  Others were packing up to leave so I told Jim we should leave too.  Hey I thought that was super that your gift card had twice as much on it than you thought---wonderful surprise.  Congrats on your fun day at work.  Even if it doesn't turn into to anything it is fun to dream about and then again he may turn out to be Mr. Right.  

Rusty's mom and pineknott after your comments now I know while I never tried one of the panel afghans----I have a devil of a time making two of anything turn out the same size

Viking sorry about your uncle   :hug

Bgs I cannot make two the same either of anything, which is a bad thing, when it comes to socks, mittens, or slippers!! lol

New biz now, new queen accepted, will be announced on the first of July.......

Yawning away, so what's up with that, it's like 730 sheesh........

all caught up  now, so will sign off for tonight, and find something to keep me busy!!!!!! Night all, :manyheart

Morning!

Cute story dragnlady!

Back to not sleeping last nite. Guess I'm only allowed every other nite or so!

kiddles still coughing, in fact I'll go on my lunch hour to her summer camp to give her meds to keep her a bit drier. Poor baby!

Hope you all have a great day!

kuddles

Good Morning.

I had good time yesterday out and about with my daughter and grandkids, we never made it to the thrift stores, maybe next time I'm here. We went to the yarn shop which was very small and didn't have a lot of yarn but they offer classes in knitting, crocheting, spinning and weaving, I might check about drop spindle lessons next time I come up. We went to a fabric store too and I did get a couple pieces of cute sewing related fabric for tote bags. We also stopped at a comic book store, I didn't buy anything there but daughter and granddaughter did. Then we went to the mall to have lunch at chick fil a which my grandson had been requesting for  several days. We did find a good sale at Gymboree so my daughter got a few things for the kids. Today I will be heading home in the afternoon  :( . So I guess I'll check in again later. 

Have a great day everyone.

Good morning!

I'm back home and need to finish making my turtle she'll.

Them pay some bills and get daughter ready for camp.

Kuddles hope Kiddles is better.  Is it a summer cold or allergies?  Hope you get a good night's sleep.  Anymore it seems like I sleep better or at least fall asleep faster in the recliner than when I actually lay down in bed so I stay in recliner until I fall asleep and when I wake up I go to the bed.  Seems like I can lay awake all night if I lay in the bed.

cshort it sounds like yesterday was a fun day being out with daughter and grandkids.

I just finished putting this together.  The squares were part of many unfinished projects from an aunt that passed away a couple of years ago.  These were sport weight yarn so I really didn't want to mess with them.  I finally found a color of yarn at Hobby Lobby in sport weight that went okay with the squares to put them together and edge it.  The greens in the photo turned out more blue than the green they really are..  The light green is really almost but not quite neon green.  My sister and niece kept saying these squares reminded them of watermelon.  And if this works this is my first attempt at loading a photo with the new computer.   

post-11309-0-40456300-1403719488_thumb.jpg

hi all, oooh, that is sure an eye popper, turned out really great Brenda!!!

cshort, how far do you hve to drive to be home?

everyone else, hi ya.....nothing much happening here, so nothing much to say, lol, talk to you all when I  have more to report, till then, stay safe!

Put two skeins of yarn back into my newly frogged Afghan and it looks amazing so far! I went thru the blue/green verigation into plum and just started the grape. After that its cherry and then I finally get to start new skeins that should be delivered tomorrow. I feel like Im going thru the frogged yarn fast, getting it added in correctly in a blink. And its finally my Friday! I start creative thinking and foundations of personal finance in college this week too.

Good morning!

bgs.....woot! What a great piece of art! Hopefully will inspire me to put together some squares I have done!

and bgs, thanks for the kind words......kiddles has an actual summer cold. I'm hoping today it 'turns around' and she doesn't cough as much! and I did sleep good last nite, thank you!

Have a great day all!

kuddles

Good morning everyone!

bgs, that is a beautiful afghan!

katie, It's almost a 2 hour drive to my daughter's home, not a bad drive but I miss having them 10 minutes away.

It is very quiet in my house this morning. I'm enjoying my coffee and computer time. I started some laundry too and I plan to work on my smocking project that I started a couple of weeks ago. Not much else going on here. Have a good day everyone.

Thank you for the kind words about the afghan.  It turned out better than I expected.  It has been a challenge going through my aunt's boxes of assorted granny squares.   It would have been easier if they were all the same type of yarn, same size, and same number of color changes per square.  This one was really tough because they were sport weight and it took a while to find a suitable color to put them together.  

Kuddles, glad you got a good night's rest and that Kiddles is better.  Colds are bad any time of year but summer ones seem exceptionally miserable.

Looking forward to our new queen.  I hope our current queen made it back from her vacation okay and that my package was waiting for her.

Hello all, well the rain hath cometh, Im afraid, probably get a few more inches  by the time its' done! I don't mind rainy days, I just hate for it to look like rain, feel like rain,then not rain, lol, or if the sun could stay out, while it's raining, that would suit me just fine!!!

:shrug

Gonna make a chicken casserole tonight, so got the chicken cooked off, and will do the rest, closer to dinner time And you know, I  wanted to try that 1234 cake, anyone heart of that, Paula Dean I think, anyways, I wanted to use cake flour, as it is more light, and homemade cakes turn out like bakery cakes, but do you think i could find that anywhere,l think they must be out,l cause I have seen it at the several grocers I shop at, but not today... I mean they had, bread flour, pizza flower, corn flour, all purpose flour, wheat flour, organic flower, self rising flour,and a half and half white wheat flour, but no cake flour,,,,,,,such is my flour rant for the day, lol :rant

Oh, got some pics to post, i finally tried the granny corner to corner, I did a couple samples, one is 10 inches square, turned out really nice, and the other, is going to be 8, when I put the last trim row (s) on, so will pic tht for you all when I can......

I always had a problem with the uneven sides, but think I have licked the problem, lol,,,as they turned out pretty square!! :h5

doggie had a spell today, sort of started coughing, and then just lied down, like she couldn't stand, but she is fine now, Im sure she didn't choke on anything, so hopefully that is an isolated incident, you know..

She takes doggie aspirin like pills, and joint pills, but we  powder them up, hammering them in a zip lock, and mix it in her food real well, or she won't take them,but that was early this am, so dunno, just hope it  has passed.....

Was crocheting a bit ago, and all of a sudden,my sinus's started to plug up you know, couldn't breathe out of my nose at all, i hate that, so took an alergy pill, to say it is helping already, would be a guess, but lets hope so, I also handled that bouquet of flowers this aft, and took off the dead leaves and such, maybe it was something to do with the flowers, ooops, forgot, already had my flour flower rant today, lol A  millions pardons!!! :help

I can't remember when Jillipop was coming back, hope she makes it back for her going away speech!! lol

ok, all for now, gonna find sometihing that needs doing, and then do it!!!! one thing at a time, you know, lol That iswhat I tell my sister, she gets overwhelmed with things, and then ends up doing nothing, sooooo if you just do a couple things a day, cross um, off your list, tomorrow, pick a couple more, and pretty soon, wala, when all things are crossed off your list, you can make another one, lol and start  all over again,lol       take care all, till later!!! :shrug

Hi !!!! Well I finally got that baby blanket finished :):woo I am so happy that it did not turn out all wonky. It is 41" wide by 49" long and it took ForEVER :D I used RHSS in Light Sage, Off White/Cream , and Pink Camo.

Other than that Ive been busy since the kids are on summer break : making food, cleaning house, doing laundry, breaking up fights, etc :D But I love the little hooligans.

My bouquet came in the  mail today. Its so pretty !

:hug to you all

post-39682-0-76466100-1403824916_thumb.jpg

post-39682-0-39167900-1403824918_thumb.jpg

post-39682-0-91159200-1403824919_thumb.jpg

post-39682-0-33355800-1403824921_thumb.jpg

post-39682-0-58243600-1403824923_thumb.jpg

post-39682-0-07054100-1403824925_thumb.jpg

Archived