Granny squares 2nd annual Happy Birthday Friendship/Comfortghan

My husband picked out the colors for his Afghan, the skeins I ordered for it should get here by the 9th. I just wish I could use my bigger hook but he doesn't want big gaps between the yarn so i'll continue w the hook I used for my blanket. He actually chose purple as one of the colors which is awesome. Mom goes to Hershey for more tests on the 11th. Her and dad are going to our campground in the mountains for a few days and jj has two days of shows. Ill go to one of them, have to sacrifice one for college work.

Good morning! I've been without internet/cable/phone since Monday nite when two big storm lines went through. Comcast just got back up, which is who I use for all three. Been odd not to be able to be online! I've missed a lot, if anyone asked me anything, please now ask again. Otherwise, just saying hi!

My mother is coming up on the train tomorrow and staying the weekend. Kiddles is very excited. At least the weather is supposed to be good!

Cindy, stay safe!

kuddles

hello squares!!

Well how is everone doing this fine thursday, sheesh, seems like it was only monday yesterday!! Kuddles, glad you are back, i thought maybe you had gone out of town or something, glad your communications are up and running again!!

I tell ya, it's that mother nature, she must be mad about something!!!

Reiann, good for you, what type of ghan are you making for him??

Im about a bit over half still, done with my corner to corner afghan, I think it is going to be awesome, we'll see, can't wait to finish it now!! The rows are getting shorter and shorter, ha ha, good, cause at it's widest point, it was a bit shall we say of a challenge holding it while working the longest rows, lol, but other than that, no problems with it so far.

We usually go to the Ralston Parade on the fourth, everyone does, lol it is a little town a few miles away, it's where i was born andraised matter of fact, I marched many of the parades when i went to school there,  fun for all, get there early and grab your spot, oh and bring water, I almost passed out one time, either from the crowd, or the heat, or a combination of the two, lol...Always a good show, and not supposed to be too hot out there tomorrow, soooooo,any one out there feeling like a road trip, Ill save ya a good spot by the grandstand, look for us there!!    If not,  what are all you doing on the fourth!!

have a Happy       post-40621-0-37302900-1404406706.jpg

• Replies 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

kuddles, glad your internet is back.  At least you didn't lose electricity. 

Made a special run to the PO this am so there is a puffy headed out to our new queen. 

We have a lot of running around this weekend and some of our destinations are 2 hours away instead of the usual 1 hour.  Tomorrow we plan on mowing which is an all day affair.........rain back in forecast starting Sat.

Hello Everyone!

Kuddles, glad you're back online.

Cindy, it's good to have you back too. Stay safe from the storm. That goes for anyone else in its path too.

Side story abut hurricane prep: when my daughter and her husband moved a few months ago the realtor was showing them rental places. She took them to one house and the first thing my daughter noticed was that is wood construction not cinder block. She verified that with the realtor and then told her they didn't need to see the house because she wouldn't live in a wood constructed building in Florida especially close to the shore like they are. The realtor asked why and my daughter replied that she had grown up in Florida, she had been through many storms, 2 of which were major, and she had seen the destruction to wood construction first hand. I didn't realize how much of impact those storms had on her but I'm glad she knows the damage the storms and how to be prepared for them. And they were under the tropical storm watch from Arthur 2 days ago when it was off the coast of Florida and off course she had pulled the toys and plants in from the patio.

I went to the grocery store this morning to pick up the last few things I need for tomorrow and a few other things. We are having a neighborhood party like we always do to celebrate the 4th of July. I got hot dogs & buns, I'm making a pineapple & cherry dump cake and Garbage Dip & chips. Did some laundry and I've been working in my sewing room, should have some pics to post soon.

I guess that's enough rambling and I've finished my sandwich so I guess I should get busy again. Talk to you later.

Hello Everyone!

Kuddles, glad you're back online.

Cindy, it's good to have you back too. Stay safe from the storm. That goes for anyone else in its path too.

Side story abut hurricane prep: when my daughter and her husband moved a few months ago the realtor was showing them rental places. She took them to one house and the first thing my daughter noticed was that is wood construction not cinder block. She verified that with the realtor and then told her they didn't need to see the house because she wouldn't live in a wood constructed building in Florida especially close to the shore like they are. The realtor asked why and my daughter replied that she had grown up in Florida, she had been through many storms, 2 of which were major, and she had seen the destruction to wood construction first hand. I didn't realize how much of impact those storms had on her but I'm glad she knows the damage the storms and how to be prepared for them. And they were under the tropical storm watch from Arthur 2 days ago when it was off the coast of Florida and off course she had pulled the toys and plants in from the patio.

I went to the grocery store this morning to pick up the last few things I need for tomorrow and a few other things. We are having a neighborhood party like we always do to celebrate the 4th of July. I got hot dogs & buns, I'm making a pineapple & cherry dump cake and Garbage Dip & chips. Did some laundry and I've been working in my sewing room, should have some pics to post soon.

I guess that's enough rambling and I've finished my sandwich so I guess I should get busy again. Talk to you later.

That's interesting about the cinder block vs wood construction.  Being from the midwest it would not have occurred to me.

The dump cake I know about but garbage dip???

Cindy so glad you all made it safely. Hopefully you will be able to get out for a play date soon.

Well I literally didn't get to bed till after 8 this morning. I stayed up all night crocheting a teddy bear for a lady who takes pictures and needed two bear hats and two bears. Let's say I finished one and my hands hurt so bad right now. I just found out yesterday at 3 something... So I earned a little money. I slept for about 4 hours and just couldn't sleep any longer.

Here's a picture of my little guy and the two bear hats.

post-48736-0-58954600-1404411511_thumb.jpg

post-48736-0-13848500-1404411532_thumb.jpg

Owlvamp

those are super cute,stay safe from the storm,soon I'll go back out and move the hanging pots,don't want them to be progectiles that fly into and crack our windows

Thank you it's pouring right now and thundering out there. Thought about going to the store but that just might have to wait.

owlvamp, the bear and hats are adorable.  It's too bad you literally got no notice to make them.  The pain and lack of sleep would kind of suck the joy out of making them.  For dump cakes you layer everything in the cake pan, no mixing.  I am sure there are various recipes.  You can use different fruit pie fillings.  The one I have calls for 2 cans cherry pie filling, 1 can crushed pineapple, drained, 1 box yellow cake mix, 1 stick oleo thinly sliced (can you tell its an old recipe in that it calls for oleo rather than margarine or butter), 1 c nuts and or 1 c coconut-optional.  "Dump" cherry filling in bottom of 9 x 13 inch cake pan, add pineapple, cake mix and sprinkle sliced oleo on top.  Cover with nuts and coconut.  Bake at 350 for 35 or 40 minutes.   I hope the storm wears out before it gets to you all. 

Hi, ladies! :waving  Sorry I haven't been around in a while! This new job is really just taking it out of me... I get home just dead on my feet and so exhausted! And it's that mental tired that in my opinion is just so much worse than physical. I'm starting to get back to normal during the week though and I'm hoping this 3 day weekend will help me. 

And I have really enjoyed all the eye candy!! The afghans, the squares, and the teddy bears!  :heart

My wedding bouquet 

silk flowers with pretty pendants. it will never wilt ! yaaaay  LOL. which is good since the wedding isnt till July of next year 

I love the idea for your bouquet! It will make a great display piece after your wedding and an heirloom years down the road. I started buying things for my wedding just about as soon as we got engaged, just because it makes it seem so much cheaper while you're at it. That way you aren't buying it all at once when you've got other big purchases to make, like food and location and hair or makeup!

Good morning! Hope everyone is having a Good Friday so far.

Me well let's say I couldn't sleep so decided to make cupcakes and brownies for daughter camp today. So off to Walmart this morning I went and came home and baked away. I made a huge cupcake cake with hot fudge in the middle. It's for a person I don't like . But that life. It's the boyfriends mother and I'll be there tonight and her birthday is tomorrow but they weren't going to make her a cake. I can be cold hearted but the boys wanted me to make a cake so I did. I need to show them I can be the better the person even though inside it kills me.

Don't worry, owl! She'll have to worry about karma or a higher power one of these days! She might want to hope the higher power gets to her first! One of these days, she won't be able to control how the boys come and go and they'll be old enough to realize what's happened. You're doing a really good job handling all of this trouble!!  :hug

and here are a couple granny c2c squares i practiced on, lol 8 inches, and someone will get these!!

attachicon.gif042.JPG

Those are lovely! I'd love to know where you found the pattern/tutorial video!

Hi ladies!
We survived the trip out here. It wasn't pleasant, but we made it. We loaded the truck last Monday with the help of friends and arrived in VA on Wednesday. An old friend came to help and brought several young men from his church to help us unload. It was amazing! We have the bedrooms and living room mostly put together and the kitchen is done. The dining room is a disaster though! It is filled with misc stuff like linens, the guitars, and all the empty boxes. It's hard getting work done with 3 small children though.

Pineknott--we should get together some time!

Katy-I can resume receiving squares as soon as I send you my new addy.

I better get busy. Lulu is sleeping but she doesn't sleep for very long!

Glad you made it to VA safely!! And even mostly unpacked! That's impressive, especially with the children! Hopefully the hurricane won't be too bad out that way. I'm outside of Richmond and I think we're expecting some wind and scattered rain but nothing too bad. 

Hope everyone else is doing well! I'll try to check in more often, I promise!  :ghug

Good morning! Going in a few hours to pick my mother up from the train station then our visit begins!

bgs - we did lose electricity, twice actually. Some had it off for days! Our street still has generators down it where there are electrical boxes, hope that isn't a bad sign!

cshort - I guess we do learn from our childhood!

owlvamp - adorable bear!

hi pineknott, angelroselite, yarnmonkey and katie!

Anyone hear from grannie annie? I worry when we don't.....

Gotta get moving!

kuddles

Good Morning and Happy Independence Day! 

Pineknott, Owlvamp, Cindy and anyone else along the east coast I hope you all are safe from the storm, I hope we hear from everyone soon.

Owlvamp the bear and hats are adorable.

yarn_monkey, I hope the job gets easier.

I haven't made a dump cake in along time but i recently came across this one on pinterest and thought I would try it, I hope the link works.

http://debbie-debbiedoos.com/2014/04/how-to-make-a-cherry-pineapple-dump-cake.html

Garbage Dip really taste yummy even though it has a strange name, my daughter prefers to call it Confetti Salsa when she takes it to parties. A friend gave me the recipe and it has been a hit every time I make it. I chopped everything in the food processor but you can do it by hand too, I like playing with my power tools. :lol

Garbage Dip

16 oz. block of Monterey Jack cheese, shredded

1 green pepper, chopped

1 yellow pepper, chopped

2 large tomatos, chopped

1 cucumber, chopped

1 pkg. cilantro or fresh cilantro leaves, chopped

2 small cans diced green chilies with juice

2 small cans chopped black olives

1 medium size bottle of Wishbone Italian Salad Dressing

Mix all ingredients, refrigerate overnight or for several hours.  Serve with corn chips such as Tostitos.

Guess thats about it for now. I'm going to do some sewing.

Have a great day!

kuddles, sorry to hear the power went out too, that always makes life tricky because you don't quite know what to do because you don't know if it will be back on in a few minutes, hours, or days.  Hope you have a nice visit with your mother.  

yarn_monkey, I hope you settle in at your new job soon so you won't be so tired

cshort thanks for the dip recipe, I printed it off, it almost looks like a pasta salad recipe minus the pasta

dragn, interesting we have emots for practically everything but the 4th  :spin  :mdust  :mdust  :mdust  :spin

Hi all.

Headed off to bed and will try to check in tomorrow.

Sister from PA surprised me with a visit. So been busy with her.

hello everyone, well back to the normal weekend around here, lol Im sort of glad it's over, the fourth I mean, so noisy, and hard to breathe sometimes for me anyway outside, Im alergic to smoke, apparently, or sulpher, and cig smoke for sure, lol

So, here we are, trying to catch up where we left off, darling little bears, i love them, and done so quickly too, you must be a crochet wizard sandra!!

well, frogged my beginning c2c, got near the ened, starting counting sides, to see how to edge, and it's uneven in count on two sides, is that normal?? I would have had to play with it to much to get it to come out right, so I started taking off one of two rows, and that led to others behind it, till I am down to 12 rows now, and not even sure if they are staying, lol Oh well huh.....I didn't want stitches to be different on two sides, facing each other, that would or could have made for a wondy banky, lol Anyone else have this problem with full size c2c, i didn't with the baby afghan at all....

ok, other than that, nothing new happening, had spaghetti tonight, was ok, wanted garlic bread with it, be he forgot to make some, lol so we didn't wanna wait,we will have it with the leftovers I guess.

And there are three cupcakes left now, lol, the cake flour, I can't tell you all what a diff it made, soooooo good, best cupcakes I think I ever have had, and I made home made buttercream frosting for them,, very good, course I gave some away to neighbors, lol, but we ate a couple, and have three or four left, ummmm good, try it, so much difference in the texture and the taste, I couldn't even belive I made them from scratch!! lol

One neighbor is/was a professionial baker, and even he raved over them!! I told him for paybacks, make me some napoleons, lol, don't find those much anymore around, there is one baker left in town that will make them, on order only, and they are quite expensive as well, but well worth it, i served them for desert  once for brunch, and we were all in heaven !!!

Before that brunch, it had been years and years since I had eaten one!!

Ok, well, off for now, back to the drawing board I guess, lol      take care stay safe, those of you that got in Arthurs way, hope all is well now!!!!!

Good Morning All

the fan cut off and then on,was enough of a disturbance for me at 3:15am and have been up ever since

clothes folded and put away,loads of laundry lined up,have to do this early,cause I know I'll be crashing sometime this afternoon

when I get off here I'll cut up the meat for the crockpot goulash,and try to fit in some square making,still working on the last queen's squares,I've joined I've lost my hook club,had to resort to a back up one,but it is not as worn smooth yet,from years of square making but has potential,lol

wishing you'all the greatest day you can possibly have :hug  :hug

Well dangit. I typed a nice long reply (on my phone) and it disappeared into computer-land. Well. Long story short. Im up, im tired, i have coffee. I also have a baby blanket im working on to donate to the hand n hand pregnancy help center right by my house. I worked on it for about 4 hours last night. Got 12 rows done and it measures about 6 1/2 average length crochet hooks long. LOL i cant find a tape measure :D

Everyone have a good day.

Ill post pic of blanket seperate. :)

Archived